Market timing

I am glad the bulk of the public land out here is national forest. Good luck keeping the public out of millions of acres of remote land.

Just starting to nibble in the market today. My equity percentage is a touch low, so I added to an existing position in a relative stalwart (OLN). More dry powder waiting for any bargains.

I know...AA..and rebalance.. and that's the course I will follow..but with all the shutdown and debt ceiling talk, is anyone getting nervous?

Just checking ... :(

U.S. stocks extend losses; Dow off 180 points - Market Snapshot - MarketWatch

Well, to be fair, I'm only 36, so I'm not nervous. "Hopeful" might describe it better... as in "hopeful" people will overreact and tank the markets so I can put some of the cash I have stashed away into them. :cool:

But in all seriousness, it's just noise, man. Noise.

Speaking of the Keystone Cops -- the National Park Service is also comical in their obsessive steps they are going to to create as big an inconvenience as possible at any national park property. I especially am amused at putting traffic cones up to block scenic overlooks on public (not park) roads at Mt Rushmore. Blocking WWII vets from the wide open WWII memorial also shows a certain level of class. All monuments and park properties were kept open last time.

Why wouldn't they do this? If they can't demonstrate pain to the average citizen from the shutdown, then we might start to think the budget for some government entities could be reduced a bit. Can't have that.

I normally move investments into cash during the course of the year to cover the next years living expenses - then rebalance the portfolio. I decided to finish this process early to avoid the consequences of any additional stupid decisions by our govt. this year.

well... today was a good day to be in the market.... These are the type of days where timing can kill you...

Speaking of the Keystone Cops -- the National Park Service is also comical in their obsessive steps they are going to to create as big an inconvenience as possible at any national park property. I especially am amused at putting traffic cones up to block scenic overlooks on public (not park) roads at Mt Rushmore. Blocking WWII vets from the wide open WWII memorial also shows a certain level of class. All monuments and park properties were kept open last time.
During the 26 days of both 1995-1996 shutdowns, national parks were closed. The Smithsonian museums were also closed. I'm not sure about monuments and memorials in DC, however.

Not-So-Fond Memories From The Last Government Shutdowns : It's All Politics : NPR

I agree that putting up traffic cones and blocking overlooks is ridiculous. In DC, there are biking and walking trails on lands maintained by the National Park Service which are officially closed, but people are ignoring the signs and are going around the makeshift barriers.

well... today was a good day to be in the market.... These are the type of days where timing can kill you...

Yes. Today I mentioned to DW (who moved her $ yesterday) "did you know the stock market is mocking you". But she didn't care. The only timing she is interested in is waiting until the new debt limit is passed. She has so little confidence in Congress :confused:

During the 26 days of both 1995-1996 shutdowns, national parks were closed. The Smithsonian museums were also closed. I'm not sure about monuments and memorials in DC, however.

Not-So-Fond Memories From The Last Government Shutdowns : It's All Politics : NPR

I agree that putting up traffic cones and blocking overlooks is ridiculous. In DC, there are biking and walking trails on lands maintained by the National Park Service which are officially closed, but people are ignoring the signs and are going around the makeshift barriers.

Then there is this
Government shutdown: Gate-jumpers at national parks entering gray legal areas

I have always enjoyed market-timing and picking individual stocks in my spare time, when I am not otherwise occupied at the craps table at Caeser's, train dodging, alligator wrestling, base jumping, disarming bombs or running with scissors.

Back
Top Bottom