Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-18-2023, 09:07 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREarly View Post
Yes, one side is more interested in finance and the other side buys (both paying) a new SUV on loan and puppy from breeder... didn't know how EXPENSIVE a dog is.

The other side just increased their 401k to 8% (company match max). It's a great start but is not enough to retire "early"
It's not just who's "interested in finance" here. My dear second husband had very little interest in investing and left that to me. He always knew what we had and roughly how it was invested, and if I were thinking of doing something relatively risky I'd run it by him because I valued his common sense. If he didn't like the idea I wouldn't do it or I'd take a smaller stake. OTOH, almost without talking about it we developed a rule that neither of us would spend more than about $300 without consulting the other. (And I don't think we ever had a disagreement on it- it was a matter of keeping each other informed.)

What you're describing is a couple where one person is more interested in SAVING. Big difference.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2023, 11:27 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

My 35-year marriage was just like this. The difference being, neither of us knew anything about investing; I had just enough interest to become the "finance" person, however little qualified.

We talked over purchases, even less than $300, because we liked talking to one another. (This is key ). Sometimes he'd have a question, but usually his response to me was "Sure, go ahead, if you think we can afford it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
It's not just who's "interested in finance" here. My dear second husband had very little interest in investing and left that to me. He always knew what we had and roughly how it was invested, and if I were thinking of doing something relatively risky I'd run it by him because I valued his common sense. If he didn't like the idea I wouldn't do it or I'd take a smaller stake. OTOH, almost without talking about it we developed a rule that neither of us would spend more than about $300 without consulting the other. (And I don't think we ever had a disagreement on it- it was a matter of keeping each other informed.)

What you're describing is a couple where one person is more interested in SAVING. Big difference.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 11:56 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have been married for 15 years, and both have substantial assets. Even though this is a community state, we have kept everything separate.
Since I am somewhat more computer literate, she has let me take care of checking on her assets.
YMMV
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:56 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Here is our secret. Her money is her money. My money is our money. We have a common credit card for our common expenses. She has her own for her fun. I ask no questions. Happy wife, happy wife.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We talked over purchases, even less than $300, because we liked talking to one another. (This is key ). Sometimes he'd have a question, but usually his response to me was "Sure, go ahead, if you think we can afford it."
We do this, a lot. DH likes to debate most purchases with me. I do for anything 200+, or less if it impacts us both. It was also fun to review our progress when we were planning ER. We still check and discuss our NW totals about once a month.

A few of these threads lately reinforcing how valuable it is for all couples to have this alignment, early and often.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had fully combined finances for all the years we were not financially independent.

The month our investments covered more than our living expenses we created two virtual ‘luxury’ accounts in the spread sheet and divided some of the excess.

Now if either of us wants to buy something without the other persons opinion we use our individual luxury account.

The less we spend in general the more luxury money we get.
captain3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 10:34 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My 35-year marriage was just like this. The difference being, neither of us knew anything about investing; I had just enough interest to become the "finance" person, however little qualified.

He sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing this story....
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:26 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I miss him more every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
He sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing this story....
Old 01-20-2023, 01:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Here is our secret. Her money is her money. My money is our money. We have a common credit card for our common expenses. She has her own for her fun. I ask no questions. Happy wife, happy wife.

Same here DW made much less than I did. It would sometime bother me but she really used the money buy our girls nicer clothes and hide the cost of makeup. I remember her sending me out for a drug store makeup item and I called her saying there must be something wrong, how could that cost $12? Never did learn the cost of the pearl infused under eye stuff.
I think a lot of it was her mother never had anything of her own and her father was abusive. DW always kept enough on hand for a plane ticket to her sisters.
Old 01-20-2023, 02:09 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Same goes for happy husbands, only there's no good rhyme for it!

Quote:
Old 01-20-2023, 04:45 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Quote:

Based on his response, it would be happy husband, happy husband.
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:15 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

No doubt, that is also true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
Based on his response, it would be happy husband, happy husband.
Old 01-24-2023, 06:58 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Good thoughts, where/who contributes to the mortgage $?*

*easily believe it's in the combined account. Do both of you contribute?

For me, the other side used to pay the mortgage/rent and now believes it's ok or return for the past or what should happen that I pay the entire mortgage 🤷*♀️🤷*♂️
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:21 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREarly View Post
Good thoughts, where/who contributes to the mortgage $?*

*easily believe it's in the combined account. Do both of you contribute?

For me, the other side used to pay the mortgage/rent and now believes it's ok or return for the past or what should happen that I pay the entire mortgage 🤷*♀️🤷*♂️
I pay all our common expenses.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We never had a problem with financing matters in almost the 40 years we have been married. From the start everything was pooled together, and she took care of all bills paying etc. The only separate is 401K and pension still pool everything else and we both are fragile and were great savers.

When a large purchase was made, we talked about that and neither of us would spend any amount of money till we talked it ovah. I was one that would say if you think we can afford it I have no problem. She never ever questioned me from buying land, but we always discussed it, and they were always great purchases for us. I think that trust must be there from day one. Never disagreed on money once and for sure not now.

Neither one of us like to deal with investing of care to do financial matters. I something think if only I would have learned more and got more involved in financial investing, we would have done a whole lot better.

In the end we did very well because each were savers.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Recommendation
Old 01-24-2023, 07:45 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

Recommendation

For 37 years I made all of our financial and investment decisions. I retired in 2018 and about a year later my wife and I had a discussion about who would manage our finances if something were to happen to me. For a year I spoke to many investment people but couldn't connect with anyone. Then I found a company called E3 Wealth. After a few meetings with them, we decided to move our investments to them in 2020.

My suggestion is to watch their video online and see if they are a company you would like to do business with. If so, I suggest you meet with their investment team and let them develop a plan for you.

Copy the link below into browser.

https://www.facebook.com/e3wealthHQ/...r9OoHrLBg&_rdr
rrs26ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:46 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Neither one of us like to deal with investing of care to do financial matters. I something think if only I would have learned more and got more involved in financial investing, we would have done a whole lot better.

In the end we did very well because each were savers.
Wish both of us were savers. Wonder how the retirement age would change if that was the case.
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:20 PM   #38
Dryer sheet wannabe

There actually are CFPs who are also Registered Life Planners and work with couples regarding exactly what you describe. Rick Kahler comes to mind, Gayle Coleman, Ted Klontz is a therapist who works along with a CFP. There is a whole new niche of financial and therapeutic planning combinations these days. When I was in practice as a CFP those who struck out into this area were the outliers, but that was 15 years ago. Check out kinderinstitute.com and there should be a list.
HunterAdvisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Happy spouse, happy house works for both.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:01 PM   #40

Quote:
We do this as well. Just got in a little rift today, but DW re-established our plan of hers is hers, and mine is ours

Tags
advice, cfp, cpa, Financial, marriage