maximum withdrawal

oisif

Dryer sheet wannabe
When we are talking 4% (mostly accepted standard) are we talking 4% net...or before taxes? Say you retire on
2 millions...80.000$ per year..tax payable on this...?

I ts kind of hard to figure what will be your tax bill...dividend , capital gain, interest income, or simply capital redemption...so how do one calculate this?

I have always assumed that the 4% would include all expenses including all taxes owed. If you withdrew $80k and owned $15k in fed and state taxes then you would have only $65k usable cash for your non tax expenses.

4% gross is the way I believe it is calculated.  What ever your situation, the taxes must come out of the 4%.  4% is the model when the model is a fixed at retirement, inflation adjusted draw.    

You should model in excel pulling from the different asset classes and accounts(IRA/401K, Roth IRA, taxable account, annuity, etc) to see roughly what your taxes will be.  Of course a lot depends on your particular stocks, mutual funds and turnover.  

job    

Yes, I'd definitely say that includes taxes and all other expenses (such as fund expenses). The question FIRECalc answers is, "How will I do if I remove X% every year?" It doesn't matter what you remove it for.

Yup 4% total.

However, if you get one of those books that the guys in prison write, that explain how it is against the constitution to pay income taxes, you can spend the entire $80K on yourself! :D

Back
Top Bottom