Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2021, 08:48 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Might actually cost (and be worth) that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
And, to stay on trend, it will have to be something from the 1960's, too!
G8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 09:09 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

R2G,

ms gamboolgal and I just pulled the trigger right before Christmas when we went on vacation to carry us thru to formal retirement date of 1-Feb-21.

I'm age 61 and ms gamboolgal is chasing me at age 59.

I truly get the stress and desire to go. We could have gone at age 57/55 but it would have been abit leaner on the budget.

College kids are expensive - we put two thru college and both of them got multiple degrees and took international trips for "school", new vehicles, unexpected uhoh's, e.g. tree jumps out in front of their car(s), etc., all paid for courtesy of the Bank Of Mom and Dad. And we helped out on them getting established. The gifting continues to this day but that is just Mom and Dad being Mom and Dad....point being it is a good sized chunk, albeit discretionary.

Your wife may change her mind and go sooner, especially once you get retired, just sayin....

Our numbers are very similar to yours - and by grinding out the last few OMY's we have for us what we consider our FAT FIRE budget.

I would recommend hang tuff for at least one more year, i.e, OMY and revisit the numbers this time next year.....

But I really understand how tuff it can be to subject yourself to the stress and resultant debilitating effects on health. I get it.

I personally did not manage the stress of the last few years intelligently - I took up drinking the Whiskey and Smoking..... and I was not a real pleasant person to be around the last couple of years.

I say that because, now that I am retired and free from the insanity of megaoil corp - the stress is evaporating and it is a night and day change for the better. The drinking and smoking consumption is going down fast and I am exercising a bit.

Was the extra monies worth it for us? Only time will tell and I am not sure if we did right by staying until I was 61....

It's a dam hard decision to make R2G, it really is....

All the best - and please keep us posted on your decision.

gamboolman.....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I see quite a few people recently who are posting retirement expenses somewhere from $130k to $150k, which makes me nervous.

What is a new definition of fatFIRE?
We should distinguish between Basic Expenses and Discretionary ones.
My basic expenses are about one-third of my retirement income which gives me a lot of flexibility in doing stuff, except for the pandemic, of course...
TheWizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
R2G,

ms gamboolgal and I just pulled the trigger right before Christmas when we went on vacation to carry us thru to formal retirement date of 1-Feb-21.

I'm age 61 and ms gamboolgal is chasing me at age 59.

I truly get the stress and desire to go. We could have gone at age 57/55 but it would have been abit leaner on the budget.

College kids are expensive - we put two thru college and both of them got multiple degrees and took international trips for "school", new vehicles, unexpected uhoh's, e.g. tree jumps out in front of their car(s), etc., all paid for courtesy of the Bank Of Mom and Dad. And we helped out on them getting established. The gifting continues to this day but that is just Mom and Dad being Mom and Dad....point being it is a good sized chunk, albeit discretionary.

Your wife may change her mind and go sooner, especially once you get retired, just sayin....

Our numbers are very similar to yours - and by grinding out the last few OMY's we have for us what we consider our FAT FIRE budget.

I would recommend hang tuff for at least one more year, i.e, OMY and revisit the numbers this time next year.....

But I really understand how tuff it can be to subject yourself to the stress and resultant debilitating effects on health. I get it.

I personally did not manage the stress of the last few years intelligently - I took up drinking the Whiskey and Smoking..... and I was not a real pleasant person to be around the last couple of years.

I say that because, now that I am retired and free from the insanity of megaoil corp - the stress is evaporating and it is a night and day change for the better. The drinking and smoking consumption is going down fast and I am exercising a bit.

Was the extra monies worth it for us? Only time will tell and I am not sure if we did right by staying until I was 61....

It's a dam hard decision to make R2G, it really is....

All the best - and please keep us posted on your decision.

gamboolman.....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....
Thank you for the very thoughtful response, gambool!

I did decide to pack it in. Last day is 2/19/21. I just came to terms with the fact that I'll never be 100% comfortable financially. I'm quite sure I can find work if I wanted to or needed to down the line.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #25

I retired before Mrs Z3. I cooked and cleaned (still a growth area.) and shopped,etc. Mrs. Z3 was happy. Looks like you are heading down that same road.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations ReadyToGo - Your Good To Go !

All the best in your retirement !!
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I see quite a few people recently who are posting retirement expenses somewhere from $130k to $150k, which makes me nervous.
If the numbers work out to 100% success with this type of expense level, sounds fine to me, especially if nerves take over and you wanted to trim back 10-20% without seriously derailing your planned retirement.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:38 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
I just came to terms with the fact that I'll never be 100% comfortable financially. I'm quite sure I can find work if I wanted to or needed to down the line.
Yes it's never easy letting go a paycheck willingly. I'm in same boat. Ready but hanging on as long as I can. It does take some courage to jump off the w*rk cliff.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8tr View Post
FIRE should not be an emotional decision ("I quit!"), but rather one that is planned carefully and with forethought over a period of years (or even a decade).
Or not.
I met the 401K admins advisor (Fido) first time in September. Ran some spreadsheets and Firecalc for a month. Told my manager I would not be adverse to being RIFed in November. Got a RIF notification December 1 and was off the payroll March 1.