Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
How do you measure your net worth? Variables:

Government standards or other financial sources.
Male? Female? Household? Household size?
Average? Median?
Include home or not.

and other factors.... education, compared to salary, other variables... pension,Social Security, annuity, insurance policies, location (average COL).

No... It really doesn't matter but we all use "Net Worth" as a factor in planning, budgeting and setting our personal goals.

Do you have a source that you use as a standard for comparison?
I don't really know how much someone with my background, education, and work experience should have. He could be anywhere from a homeless guy to a centimillionaire or billionaire. A lot of random things happens in life.

I know what I have, and I can live comfortably with that. I do not know how compare myself to someone else.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I use a number I call FIRE Pool. It’s made up of all the assets I will access in retirement.
So its my portfolio, real estate investments and a present value of expected social security.
To me, that is the only number that matters. I am not selling my house, cars or furniture in retirement, so why track it.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:58 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I count investments/529/HSA/savings/house equity. I don't count cars, personal property. I don't have any pensions. I don't count social security. I track change in net worth quarterly. I don't track investment returns. Off topic, but I track AA quarterly and adjust if 5% or more off my desired AA.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #24
gone traveling

We just count what we have at Fido. I run the retirement planner and it says the widow will die with $29K in 2054.
No house.
No small HELOC.
No NPV of 2 SS.
No savings in the credit union.

Two engineering degrees and an MBA and I just can’t be that anal retentive.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:25 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1 Because of that, I don't really compute it.

I do keep track of another sum that interests me more, although I don't call it "net worth" (because it isn't).That is the sum of my investment accounts and bank accounts. ....
+1 I focus on that number much more than net worth.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

>>>

Please note that the OP was asking about comparing or benchmarking your networth against your peers.

It's not just about knowing what you have.

>>>

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I consider net worth in the traditional sense (assets minus liabilities) but I’m pretty sure I’ve never figured out the actual number at any specific point in time.

We have a high value house (paid off) because we live in a HCOL area. Our retirement funds are low for what we will spend because we have 2 pensions that I think are pretty good. But I don’t think that the pensions themselves can count in net worth.

So any number I generate is kind of meaningless.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't really use net worth for much of anything other than making myself feel good.

I include all assets and liabilities, including home value... but not the imputed value of my defined benefit pension or social security... and not deferred income taxes on tax-deferred assets even though I know that technically* deferred income taxes should be included.

* like if I was doing a personal financial statement for a bank or other creditor.
+1
Old 11-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

When working, benchmarking was helpful for me to ensure I was keeping savings cranked up. Doesn’t matter now. more interested in making sure what I have lasts to the end
Old 11-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a google finance sheet which updates automatically from ticker symbols and calculates:

Net worth: Assets including zillow value of home (I have no liabilities).

Liquid net worth: Assets excluding home

Post tax liquid net worth: Liquid net worth after discounting capital gains by 27 % and retirement accounts by 31 % for expected taxes. (This is an estimate of money I can actually spend.

Estate value: Net worth discounting retirement accounts by 30 % for expected taxes my heirs might pay. (This is an estimate of money my heirs might expect to have to spend if I died.)
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quicken tracks it for me automatically. The only real asset in Quicken is our house, and that is not a major component and changes little.

It also includes credit card liabilities as I download transactions.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:30 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy View Post
I have a google finance sheet which updates automatically from ticker symbols and calculates:

Net worth: Assets including zillow value of home (I have no liabilities).
Don’t you use credit cards?
Old 11-08-2019, 03:54 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

I track NW in Quicken going back to ‘87. Very fun to watch it go up, down-not so much. I track All assets minus liabilities. Except SS. I have a lot of equity appreciation that will be taxed one day in both tax deferred and taxable accounts. I wonder if I am fooling myself because the tax bite will be large.

Just make sure for comparisons that you are using the same definitions.
Floridaman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:02 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Net worth is the household assets (and liabilities) - including the house.

Net Investible Assets is what I use for financial planning.
+1. I do take interest in where we stack up compared to those of similar age in the US, but that is not relevant to how I manage or use the $.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:33 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I use what Quicken tells me, but basically it is...………..

The Value of crap you own +cash Minus the value of crap you owe.

Seriously we do not include cars, furniture, art, antiques, jewelry etc., or anyTHINGs that we own other than our home. I think it has to be stuff that can easily be liquidated. A home is one thing that sometimes defies that rule. Also people sometimes think their home is worth more than it really is, (Guilty here too) as it is worth more to them.
Old 11-08-2019, 05:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't really use net worth for much of anything other than making myself feel good.

I include all assets and liabilities, including home value... but not the imputed value of my defined benefit pension or social security... and not deferred income taxes on tax-deferred assets even though I know that technically* deferred income taxes should be included.

* like if I was doing a personal financial statement for a bank or other creditor.
+1 I do exactly this and for the same reason.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I’m the same way. Although I do remember, back in the first half of 2009, generating (with Quicken) a cost basis vs current value graph for my retirement portfolio, all in IRA/403(b)/457 accounts. I guess “under water” might be a way to describe it. That didn’t make me feel good a-tall.

Fortunately, that didn’t last!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #38

Holy smokes...yet another thread about the definition of net worth.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:41 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
>>>

Please note that the OP was asking about comparing or benchmarking your networth against your peers.

It's not just about knowing what you have.

>>>
If my definition of "my peers" is "anyone with the same net worth as I have", the question answers itself!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Not me. Living in HCOL area, home value becomes a disproportionate chunk that you can’t spend and can’t eat.
I don't live in a HCOL area, but I agree that our residence shouldn't be included in our calculations to determine our overall financial situation. Every month I update a spreadsheet with our account balances, YTD investment income, and estimated investment income over the next 12 months, all taken from the monthly statements. I have some of that info linked to another spreadsheet that includes YTD deposits from DH's net pay and YTD spending (not categorized). I can see at a glance our aggregate financial picture.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote