Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mechanics of a Roth Conversion
Old 12-28-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need Roth conversion help, please.

After crunching my numbers thru 2018 Turbo Tax, I'm planning on doing a tIRA to Roth conversion today.

What are the mechanics?

On Vanguard, it sounds like you simply find the order screen and convert?

On Fidelity, it sounds like it's easier if execute order during the 2-hour window after market close? Per swakybaby on a recent thread: If you place the conversion order after the market closes for the day but no later than 2 hours after the market closes, you will know the exact share price and it’s clearly indicated in your Fidelity order screen. If you divide the desired dollar amount by the share price, you get the exact number of shares to convert. There’s no guesswork required.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #2

I'm not sure if you really need the two hour window unless you are using MF as they are priced at the end of the day. This year fido's system failed to do my conversion and had me call a number. The rep did my move for me.

So what you are trying to move from TIRA to Roth? $, MF ,stocks, bonds , ETF, CEF? And how are you planning to pay taxes?

edit - I did cash at fido and CEF as schwab this year. I had the exact amount at both places as when the move was done. At schwab that was while I was on the phone. Fido took a little longer likely because the value was fixed.

last year I moved assets at fido. The exact value did not take long to determine.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I converted recently using Fidelity. It was a smooth process. Didn't need a rep.
The only catch is I didn't know the exact amount until the end of the day, but wasn't trying to get it to a specific dollar vs. a small value range.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:12 PM   #4

one other thing is make sure the tax withholding is as you want it. Default is they will withhold 10% I think unless you tell them otherwise.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I'm not sure if you really need the two hour window unless you are using MF as they are priced at the end of the day. This year fido's system failed to do my conversion and had me call a number. The rep did my move for me.

So what you are trying to move from TIRA to Roth? $, MF ,stocks, bonds , ETF, CEF? And how are you planning to pay taxes?
I'm just trying to move "in kind" mutual funds.

I have funds at both Vanguard or Fidelity that I can transfer.

(Taxes will be from tIRA, as I have used-up most of my taxed funds in the 12 years I've been retired. This conversion is simply to get some tIRA monies moved to Roth before the tax torpedo of RMDs and SS@70 hits me as a single person.)

omni
Old 12-28-2018, 01:21 PM   #6

either search for the roth conversion tool @ fido if you want to do it yourself or call them and just get it done that way. I ASSUME that you conversion will be based on closing price the day you do the conversion because I've not done conversions with MF.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. I was able to effect the Roth conversion at Vanguard with no issues.

omni
Old 12-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

If you did the Roth conversion today at Vanguard it will be based on the number of shares times today's closing price. You'll be able to see the transaction tomorrow I think.

And of course, you'll get a 1099-R from Vanguard in late January I think. The taxable amount will go on Form 8606 Part II and then line 4b of the new 1040.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Just so other readers are informed.

Some places require you to fax or mail in a paper document as they want the signature.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Just so other readers are informed.

Some places require you to fax or mail in a paper document as they want the signature.
Yup. Filled in the form online, printed it out, signed it, and faxed mine in Wednesday morning. They won't accept an Adobe whatever electronic signature on the form. Fine with me. This is usually the only time of year that the fax section of our laserjet printer/scanner/fax gets used. Which is just often enough for me to remember HOW to use it,for the rare other times.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Roth conversion between two of my accounts at Schwab was done with in-kind transfer of shares of ETFs and stocks. Just click to select, and the shares instantly jumped from one account to the other when I hit "confirm".

The basis reported to the IRS is based on real-time market values of the shares right at the moment I hit "confirm", the same way as buying or selling stocks with a market order.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #12

I just double-checked my Vanguard account. The Roth conversion "in kind' between two of my accounts went through without a hitch.

omni
Old 12-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The basis reported to the IRS is based on real-time market values of the shares right at the moment I hit "confirm", the same way as buying or selling stocks with a market order.
I believe you, but I'm a little surprised they do it that way. In other similar situations, I've seen the volume-weighted price that day, or the average of the high and the low used.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:42 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Apparently, the IRS accepts all of the above pricing methods. I like the "instant pricing" method, because I know what the price is to a few pennies when I hit "confirm".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
one other thing is make sure the tax withholding is as you want it. Default is they will withhold 10% I think unless you tell them otherwise.
With Vanguard, doing the conversion online did not give any option to withhold. If you wish to have amounts withhold, you must call to do the conversion.
Smitty700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty700 View Post
With Vanguard, doing the conversion online did not give any option to withhold. If you wish to have amounts withhold, you must call to do the conversion.
Not my experience^.

When I did my conversion at Vanguard yesterday, it took me to a screen where they automatically chose 10% withholding. And then it gave me the option to change it or not.

omni
Old 12-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Not my experience^.

When I did my conversion at Vanguard yesterday, it took me to a screen where they automatically chose 10% withholding. And then it gave me the option to change it or not.

omn
Same here when I did my conversion at Vanguard this month.
Old 12-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Same here when I did my conversion at Vanguard this month.
Really? I saw an option to withhold, with default of 10%. As I progressed through the process, that option went away (grayed out), and I got that message that withholding was unavailable and I'd have to call if I wanted that done. Maybe we have something set up differently in our accounts.

Could it possibly be that we switched over to the brokerage accounts, and those of you that are able to withhold have not?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty700 View Post
I started a Roth account at Vanguard in November by converting 10K from my traditional IRA. Like you I did not see any option to withhold taxes (I seem to recall a message saying taxes could not be withheld?). In my case, it was close to the end of the year so I'll just pay the tax on my upcoming tax return. Otherwise I would probably just pay some estimated tax on the EFTPS web site.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Not my experience^.

omni

Did you have your Roth previously set up, or did you set up your Roth and do the conversion in one swoop? I’m interested in doing a Roth conversion today if I can set up the Roth and convert easily online today.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote