Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare eligibility for spouse that never paid Medicare tax
Old 11-20-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I've paid into Medicare and will be eligible for Medicare upon reaching age 65. DW will never have paid into Medicare and is 10 years my junior. Will she be able to get Medicare? What happens if I die, or we get divorced?

Does anyone know where I can get some documentation on this topic?
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:04 AM   #2
Administrator

Your spouse is eligible for SS and Medicare based on your work record. So, once you earn eligibility for SS you automatically quality for Medicare, and so does she. When she reaches age 65 she will need to show proof of marriage. Here is one link, I'm sure there are many more. https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10035.pdf
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To clarify- DW must be 65 years old to apply for Medicare so she can't enroll when you turn 65.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:17 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

What happens in the event of death or divorce?
Old 11-23-2016, 06:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

If you've been married at least 10 years, I think she's still eligible, but still has to wait till age 65. The only exceptions to the age 65 rule are if you're on SS Disability income or have end-stage renal disease.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Your spouse is eligible for SS and Medicare based on your work record. So, once you earn eligibility for SS you automatically quality for Medicare, and so does she. When she reaches age 65 she will need to show proof of marriage. Here is one link, I'm sure there are many more. https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10035.pdf
We had to do this in person at the SS office.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:39 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If you've been married at least 10 years, I think she's still eligible, but still has to wait till age 65. The only exceptions to the age 65 rule are if you're on SS Disability income or have end-stage renal disease.

I know the ten-year rule applies to social security benefits, but are you sure it also applies to Medicare as well?
Old 11-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
Administrator

Read the link. Once you are eligible for Social Security you are also automatically eligible for Medicare. Your spouse is automatically eligible when you are - as long as you were married for 10 years. Your death does not affect that. If you divorce after 10 years, your spouse continues to be eligible, as long as she does not remarry.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:23 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Read the link. Once you are eligible for Social Security you are also automatically eligible for Medicare. Your spouse is automatically eligible when you are - as long as you were married for 10 years. Your death does not affect that. If you divorce after 10 years, your spouse continues to be eligible, as long as she does not remarry.

So, if I'm eligible for Medicare but die prior to 10 years of marriage, is DW still eligible for Medicare I she has never paid into Medicare?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #10

You know, you asked this exact same question back in March 2015. Did you think the answer had changed?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...its-76321.html
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
You know, you asked this exact same question back in March 2015. Did you think the answer had changed?

Miss Molly, things do change associated with SS. At one time if a widow remarried, she would lose her survivor's benefits, also at one time, if you worked beyond your FRA, you would lose $1 for every 3 you earned
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Does being remarried change the outcome

I thought once you were eligible, you were always eligible.... so a new marriage does not affect eligibility....

Now, it can affect what you get out of SS (I think).....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:12 AM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Does being remarried change the outcome

I thought once you were eligible, you were always eligible.... so a new marriage does not affect eligibility....

Now, it can affect what you get out of SS (I think).....
Yeah, that was not well worded. If a spouse remarries the SS pension may be affected but eligibility is not.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:38 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post

Thanks MissMolly. So, based upon everything you know, is the ten year marriage rule really applicable to Medicare as I've asked?

Souschef,

Thank you too![emoji6][emoji106]