Join Early Retirement Today

Medicare Guide
Old 11-11-2020, 05:32 AM   #1
gone traveling

Medicare Guide

All,

Thanks for the positive response to my papers on long-term care insurance, Roth conversions, and Short Money Rules (now Smart Money Rules). I’m back with another one. This one is a Medicare Guide. Here’s the link to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ze881zpdkq...Guide.pdf?dl=0

I’d like to share a quick backstory.

I turned 65 earlier this year and went through the Medicare sign-up process starting late last year. A high school friend who lives in my town turned 65 one month before me. We worked together on understanding Medicare and signed up around the same time. We were both struck by how much there was to understand.

While I’m pretty healthy, she is a cancer survivor. This combination made me look at Medicare from the perspective of a healthy person as well as a person with a serious condition. That focused me to look at Advantage vs Medigap plans and prescription drug plans in a way I might not have done on my own. As with my other papers, I try to present an objective overview of the subject.

If you are getting ready to sign up for Medicare within the next few years, this guide may be useful. If you already have Medicare, it may help you think through whether you have the right coverage.

My guide does not make any recommendations as to what you should do. It simply provides information and considerations to help you make a good decision for yourself.

Rick
AtlasShrugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 06:45 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Rick, thank you for posting. Spent my working life owning my own business and paying for the healthcare of my employees but never paid any attention to medicare. Now that I am about to turn 61 I was thinking it was time to understand Medicare and I was about to do some research. Then I stumbled upon your post. The Guide is great.

Thank you again.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Hi Rick - my sister in TX sent me a link to this post and I was hoping to download the guide but when following the link to Dropbox it states the file has been deleted. Can you repost an active link or is there another method for getting a copy of this guide? Thanks in advance.
MurfAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurfAtHome View Post
Hi Rick - my sister in TX sent me a link to this post and I was hoping to download the guide but when following the link to Dropbox it states the file has been deleted. Can you repost an active link or is there another method for getting a copy of this guide? Thanks in advance.
Hi Murf,

I discovered a very minor error in the paper that needed correction. I deleted the file in Dropbox until I could fix it. I intend to repost it early tomorrow. Please check back then.

Rick
Old 11-20-2020, 05:23 AM   #5
gone traveling

As I mentioned in my last post, I needed to modify my Medicare Guide. I deleted the link to the original version in my opening post until I had time to fix it.

I've completed the modifications. Here's a link to the revised guide.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/if224zy51x...Guide.pdf?dl=0

Rick
Old 11-20-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for reposting and sharing this guide.
MurfAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:32 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks so much for this. Medicare is a complicated beast!
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for this guide--it will be helpful to many on this Forum signing up for Medicare. One thing you might want to add for Medigap supplements is the issue of changing to another Medigap supplement plan after your guarantee period has past. In many states you have to go through underwriting to change. DH and I signed up for a Medigap plan and then a few years later the premium increased substantially. I was able to change to a less expensive plan but DH could not change because of a preexisting condition so DH is stuck with a very expensive Medigap plan.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Thanks for this guide--it will be helpful to many on this Forum signing up for Medicare. One thing you might want to add for Medigap supplements is the issue of changing to another Medigap supplement plan after your guarantee period has past. In many states you have to go through underwriting to change. DH and I signed up for a Medigap plan and then a few years later the premium increased substantially. I was able to change to a less expensive plan but DH could not change because of a preexisting condition so DH is stuck with a very expensive Medigap plan.
Thanks for the heads up on the Medigap pre-existing conditions issue. I did not run into that issue during my research or experience. I need to look into it. This issue is challenging because guaranteed issue rights vary by state.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm a decade from Medicare under current law, but I downloaded it anyway. Thanks.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #11
gone traveling

All,

An E-R member who has in-depth Medicare knowledge was kind enough to review and comment on my Medicare Guide. They shared their comments with me via private message. This member made a number of good points that I felt needed to be reflected in the guide. While the substance of the guide is essentially unchanged, it is a better document as a result of their suggestions.

Here is the link to the revised version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7l6x1czla...Guide.pdf?dl=0

The previous link will no longer work.

I'd like to thank this member for taking the time do this.

Rick
Old 11-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #12

New link added to the FAQs forum.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #13

The official "Medicare & You 2021"

https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/10...re-and-You.pdf
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasShrugged View Post
All,

An E-R member who has in-depth Medicare knowledge was kind enough to review and comment on my Medicare Guide. They shared their comments with me via private message. This member made a number of good points that I felt needed to be reflected in the guide. While the substance of the guide is essentially unchanged, it is a better document as a result of their suggestions.

Here is the link to the revised version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7l6x1czla...Guide.pdf?dl=0

The previous link will no longer work.

I'd like to thank this member for taking the time do this.

Rick
Excellent guide, thank you Rick
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #15

" You are also fully covered outside of the U.S. under many Medigap plans. "

This is new info to me. Anyone have this benefit? I know that Medicare will cover emergencies up to 50k I believe.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #16

Thank you Rick...I'm 59 (just turned yesterday LOL) but DW is 62 so we are beginning to research and this will be helpful!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

This is great. I am in the process of learning about medi-care. Dh is only 62 but I want to be knowledgeable.
I do have a question. In the beginning of the document, it says there are no premiums as long as you are eligible for social security. That premiums are free because you paid for it through medi-care taxes.
I know it sounds dumb, but if you pay medi-care taxes, but are not eligible for social security, is it still free?
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear View Post
This is great. I am in the process of learning about medi-care. Dh is only 62 but I want to be knowledgeable.
I do have a question. In the beginning of the document, it says there are no premiums as long as you are eligible for social security. That premiums are free because you paid for it through medi-care taxes.
I know it sounds dumb, but if you pay medi-care taxes, but are not eligible for social security, is it still free?

Free Medicare A requires you paid those taxes for 40 quarters / 10 years.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXguy View Post
Free Medicare A requires you paid those taxes for 40 quarters / 10 years.

Perfect, thank you. Just making sure it is specifically tied to the Medicare taxes and not social security. I would assume, but these days, assuming can lead you down the wrong path.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:27 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasShrugged View Post
As I mentioned in my last post, I needed to modify my Medicare Guide. I deleted the link to the original version in my opening post until I had time to fix it.

I've completed the modifications. Here's a link to the revised guide.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/if224zy51x...Guide.pdf?dl=0

Rick
Fantastic guide. You have a gift for explaining complicated topics with great clarity. Many thanks for this!
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote