Medicare Premium Deal

Independent

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Other threads have covered the possibility of a large increase in Medicare premiums for 2016. Today's news:

The tentative budget agreement forged by congressional leaders and the Obama administration will ward off a historic spike in Medicare premiums for the coming year, but it will nevertheless require nearly one in three older Americans to pay 17 percent more in monthly premiums for doctors’ visits and other outpatient care.

Under the agreement, Medicare’s Part B premiums for this group of roughly 15 million people will increase from the current rate of $104.90 per month to $120 per month next year, plus a $3 surcharge. After holding level since 2013, the monthly premiums for these people would have soared to nearly $160 without the legislative adjustment.

I was interested because I'm over 65, paying Medicare premiums by check, and have been thinking about starting SS benefits in 2016. I could start in late 2015 if that would have been an advantage.

I was interested because I'm over 65, paying Medicare premiums by check, and have been thinking about starting SS benefits in 2016. I could start in late 2015 if that would have been an advantage.

I'm in the same position, was planning on starting SS at FRA (66) next spring so I'm also watching it closely.

Other threads have covered the possibility of a large increase in Medicare premiums for 2016. Today's news:

Thanks! That sounds a lot better than the previous rumors. My income may be over the line just for the year 2015 only. If so, perhaps this could save me a bit.

Same for me, although I think the cutoff for starting in 2015 to forego the medicare increase may require a pretty quick decision (not positive, but it might be beginning of November).

What a disaster! Losing 42 months of claim and suspend spousal coverage for 12 months of lowered premiums for current retirees? :confused: After all, 2017 premiums will be exactly the same for all medicare recipients whether or not this deal is passed.

Marc

Back
Top Bottom