Medicare Widows Benefits

PERSonalTime

Recycles dryer sheets
A widow, who doesn't have enough credits on her own for Medicare, wonders if she would qualify for medicare coverage on her husbands record when she turns 65. The husband had enough credits on his own record, but passed away before the age of 65. I think she will be eligible for Medicare, but I'm not sure.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Will she qualify for spousal SS on his record - if so - it looks like she'll qualify.

Page 5 of the following PDF goes through who qualifies.
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/EN-05-10043.pdf

It pretty much says if she can collect SS she can get free Part A medicare at age 65.

Even if she doesn't get SS - it sounds like she can pay to get Part A.

She'll still need to pay for the other alphabetical parts.

She should qualify, but the issue is that the spouse died before filing either for SS or Medicare.

OAG,

Yes you're right. I am interested in the Medicare issue. Do you have any insight that you can share with me on this issue?

I thought the question was MEDICARE not SS.

It is. But my first response shows that if you qualify for SS you qualify for medicare.

The links explain it.

It also sounds like you can pay for medicare part A if need be. (part A is free for most of us.)

She should go to the Social Security Office and they will sit down with her and tell her what is possible or not. Or she can call Medicare - those folks were very helpful when DH was applying and had some problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

She should go to the Social Security Office and they will sit down with her and tell her what is possible or not. Or she can call Medicare - those folks were very helpful when DH was applying and had some problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Maybe I will do that but I thought I could get a good answer on this forum.

My mother , who just turned 95, is in this category. She has SS and Medicare (and an Air Force pension) as a survivor benefit, not in her own right.

Yes, the surviving spouse is automatically eligible for SS and Medicare based on the work record of the deceased spouse if the deceased spouse gained eligibility thorough work and then died.

Exceptions are if the surviving spouse is not a US citizen or permanent resident, or if the surviving spouse remarries.

Maybe I will do that but I thought I could get a good answer on this forum.

Unless you are that widow, they won't talk to you about it. She is the star of this particular show.

Ha

Yes, the surviving spouse is automatically eligible for SS and Medicare based on the work record of the deceased spouse if the deceased spouse gained eligibility thorough work and then died.

Exceptions are if the surviving spouse is not a US citizen or permanent resident, or if the surviving spouse remarries.

Unless the surviving spouse remarries over 60, then the spouse continues to collect. (Don't you just love the simplicity of Government rules?)

Thanks MichaelB!

Back
Top Bottom