Medigap Pricing

jebmke

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Question: Is the pricing for Medicare supplemental plans independent of age (all other things equal)?

The reason I ask is that I am using an online navigation service provided by my former employer for pricing plans for next year (I turn 65 in January, 2018). There is a glitch in their system that blocks you from "shopping" if you are under 65 ("not eligible"). Their tech support line tells me just to change my age in my profile by changing my birth date temporarily to 1952 while I use their comparison tools.

If you are on medicare under age 65 you are getting ssdi and thus disabled. Under 65 medigap plans are generally much more expensive because they are covering people who are known to be ill. Yes just pretend you are already 65 while browsing.

If you are on medicare under age 65 you are getting ssdi and thus disabled. Under 65 plans are generally much more expensive because they are covering people who are known to be ill. Yes just pretend you are already 65 while browsing.
This will be for regular medicare - I will be 65 when the plan is active. It is just that the system won't allow me to see pricing because I am 64 now.

Exactly. I was explaining why you have to call to get under 65 prices ( which are irrelevant to you fortunately). You got correct advice from tech support

I suggest contacting your state's Department of Aging for good information on Medigap plans: Maryland Department of Aging

I used my state's similar department when facing Medigap questions and found them to be very useful.

Arghhhh...I'm trying to get quotes as DH received notification that his Medigap policy will increase by 9% for next year (69 to 70 years old) and I wanted to see if it's still in the range. Can't get detailed pricing w/o having someone call you. Minutes after I entered info, we've already received 4 calls :facepalm:.

I am assuming that like Part D, we can switch companies each year. Am I correct in this assumption or is that only the case if our carrier ceases writing coverage? Calls 5 and 6 just came in!

Arghhhh...I'm trying to get quotes as DH received notification that his Medigap policy will increase by 9% for next year (69 to 70 years old) and I wanted to see if it's still in the range. Can't get detailed pricing w/o having someone call you. Minutes after I entered info, we've already received 4 calls :facepalm:.

I am assuming that like Part D, we can switch companies each year. Am I correct in this assumption or is that only the case if our carrier ceases writing coverage? Calls 5 and 6 just came in!
Sorry. You only have guaranteed issue when you turn 65 or if your insurer stops offering the policy. Otherwise you are subject to underwriting and potential insurers can refuse coverage.

Sorry. You only have guaranteed issue when you turn 65 or if your insurer stops offering the policy. Otherwise you are subject to underwriting and potential insurers can refuse coverage.

Thank you. We're happy with our insurer (1st year on Medicare) so not really looking to change. Quick calculation I did was that his age 70 new costs are comparable to AARP's United Healthcare costs at 69.

My DW turns 65 in October so we are in this process now. Found online website that listed prices for plans without having to give out phone number, name or other identifying info.

www.bestmedicaresupplement.com

Then for us it is a matter of finding A rated companies within the list

My DW turns 65 in October so we are in this process now. Found online website that listed prices for plans without having to give out phone number, name or other identifying info.

www.bestmedicaresupplement.com

Then for us it is a matter of finding A rated companies within the list

Thank you. I turn 65 in 2 years so will be going through the process at that time. May or may not go with the same insurer as DH.

When you go through the process check to see if the selected company gives a household discount. Some, like Mutual of Omaha give a 12% discount if you live with another person 60 or older even if they are not on Medicare. Others like Continental Life Of Brentwood Tennesee, (owned by Aetna), give a 5% discount when both persons are insured by them.

I suggest contacting your state's Department of Aging for good information on Medigap plans: Maryland Department of Aging

I used my state's similar department when facing Medigap questions and found them to be very useful.
To compliment this, in the past year I have searched for policies for DW (Florida) and DB (Illinois). Both states have a web site with Medicare resources, including a list of all the available MediGap policies, by insurer, with prices for all age groups for the current year. You can see the current price and also the age based rate of increase. To have all that info in one PDF report is extremely helpful.

Here's the list for Maryland (OP state of residence according to the profile) http://insurance.maryland.gov/Consumer/Documents/publications/Medicare-Supplement-Rate-Guide.pdf

Also, in following years if there is a significant price increase you can go through an independent agent to see whether even with medical questions that have to be answered there might be a less expensive choice of insurer.

Went thru the MD rates and glad we live in IN! Didn't realize how much pricing variation there was between different areas of the country.

I am assuming that like Part D, we can switch companies each year. Am I correct in this assumption or is that only the case if our carrier ceases writing coverage?
There is no federal annual open enrollment period for Medigap plans but some states have them. The poster's profile indicates they reside in CA which has a "Birthday Rule" for Medigap plans. The person can make a lateral change (or downgrade) without underwriting within 30 days of their birthday each year.

California Birthday Rule: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/how-does-californias-new-medigap-birthday-rule-work

There is no federal annual open enrollment period for Medigap plans but some states have them. The poster's profile indicates they reside in CA which has a "Birthday Rule" for Medigap plans. The person can make a lateral change (or downgrade) without underwriting within 30 days of their birthday each year.

California Birthday Rule: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/article/how-does-californias-new-medigap-birthday-rule-work

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We do live in CA so have this option if needed :dance:. As we are new to Medicare and know that there are some nuances to be aware of, I got the 'Medicare for Dummies' book but have not dived in yet...need to do that asap.

We've already had issues, coding with DH's colonoscopy as well as deceased MIL's coverage for doctor-type services performed during her stay in a skilled nursing facility.

Was surprised when I recently checked that AARP was basically same price as Aetna in my state. Thought they'd be much higher. My mom has AARP for 20+ years as Medigap insurance and hasn't had even one issue ever with them. And she's at drs regularly.

Was surprised when I recently checked that AARP was basically same price as Aetna in my state. Thought they'd be much higher. My mom has AARP for 20+ years as Medigap insurance and hasn't had even one issue ever with them. And she's at drs regularly.

The problems we're having are with Medicare coverage, not Medigap, although they won't pay if Medicare doesn't. We've been happy except for the 12% price increase and I'm researching if this type of increase is the norm or did they lowball and now we're hit with high increases. I don't want to switch insurers on a regular basis, but want to find one to stay with.

Had I thought about it while we were sorting through MIL's things, I would have dived into her paperwork for the yearly costs (AARP) as she kept everything :facepalm: going back decades. I'm going to check on AARP's current pricing as I still have the info from last year.

Go here lots of info,all plans for your state.
https://www.medicare.gov/

For us our plan F HD, actually dropped about $10/month for each of us this year, and we were of course a year older. I was shocked.
Old Mike

The concerns we have for plan F or F HD is whether we will see higher rate hikes when 2020 rolls around and at least the F plan won't be available and don't know if F HD will suffer the same fate.

The concerns we have for plan F or F HD is whether we will see higher rate hikes when 2020 rolls around and at least the F plan won't be available and don't know if F HD will suffer the same fate.
If I had to bet, it would be that the F-HD users would be healthier than the average of other MediGap plans / users, and it's premium rates would tend to reflect that by rising more slowly.

If I had to bet, it would be that the F-HD users would be healthier than the average of other MediGap plans / users, and it's premium rates would tend to reflect that by rising more slowly.

+1

I didn't have to bet but I did - exactly for the reason you state.

Back
Top Bottom