Mental Accounting - Is it really a bad thing?

I'm actually not worried a bit. Just curious what everyone's take is on the 'mental accounting' situation. I'm actually quite pleased with the way it works for me...the whole process developed on its own and I have been saving quite a bit for some time.

I know that I am saving $$...that's a fact. But where the mental 'deception' comes in is when the only account I have that is not on autopilot reaches the low 'trigger'. Then I find myself being more frugal to be sure all my auto-pilot stuff keeps rolling. At the end of each year I take a glance at all my assets as a whole and am AMAZED at what can be saved by being on auto-pilot. I KNOW ahead of time what will be saved, but I would never have done it if not for the auto-deductions. Hope that makes sense

For what it's worth, I'm big on spreadsheets but I know it isn't for everybody. If I don't have a spreadsheet, I think back and say "where'd all my money go?". I haven't thought "wow, look how much I saved!".

If mental accounting is helping you save a lot of money though, I think that's what counts. I'd say keep it up! Saving is the name of the game, and I'm not so sure it matters how you get there.

Hey, if the "mental accounting" works for you, go for it. DW has an aunt who does the same thing with cash in various envelopes.

We just use Quicken and a spreadsheet, although there are mental categories of "savings shall not go below $X, checking shall not go below 0" and "this much is set aside for a new vehicle", etc. I did once run the checking down to two cents (no min. balance required) but I've always been meticulous about balancing the checkbook, and I married an accountant, so if possible she's worse than me. Once the savings gets above a certain level it's skimmed off to less liquid investments, like a motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom