Merriman - Sound Investing

TK

Dryer sheet wannabe
Have been reading and listening to the Sound Investing show with Paul Merriman.

www.soundinvesting.com

I understand he has a television show in Seattle area.

Seems well grounded on first take, and is focused on retirement issues of measured withdrawls and safe asset allocation.

Comments and experiences from the forum?>

I've heard his show a couple of times. He's better than most financial talk show hosts, but he's definitely got his biases (he manages an actively-managed fund). Just read Bernstein or Boggle, and you'll probably stop listening to all financial talk shows.

I am currently reading his book "Live it up without outliving your Money".  I have been very impressed with the book.  He stresses diversification and a sane withdrawal rate.  I highly recommend the book.

His active management appears to be centered on using index funds and computer generated market timing.  He does not try to beat the system with market timing, instead he tries to reduce volatility in the portfolio.  He tells you the market timing system will generally not make more money but will reduce your statistical risk.

The book does not focus on market timing or actively managed portfolios.  It provides a methodology for an individual to manage risk.

wabmester said:
 Just read Bernstein or Boggle, and you'll probably stop listening to all financial talk shows.

I have not read either and still stopped listening :)

JG

Paul M does have some articles on buy-and-hold and reconmended portfolios composed of Vangaurd funds and ETFs at his web site.

I have read most of his articles at www.fundadvice.com (Article List), and agree with his views. On that site, he does mention his funds, but he also gives all the information you need to manage your own set of Vanguard funds.

It's nice to see a web page that doesn't just tease you and try to get you to buy something.

Thanks for the info..

MDW - I will pick up the book soon. thanks

Al - I agree - seems balanced and I liked his treatment on risk.

In monitoring these early retirement articles I see the thread of "hyper risk aversion" - commonplace as we get older.

Risk got me to this point of ER and I see the place for some healthy risk to be assumed in retirement too.

Merriman has a number of very interesting articles on his web site, most in the vein of REHP, Efficient Frontier, Coffeehouse Investor, Gummy, etc.. Many examples with numbers. He provides comparable Vanguard and DFA portfolios. I find it helpful to see good advice restated in a coherent way. Recommended reading.

I do have a couple of issues with Merriman:
1) His historical data could go back further, but OK.
2) I really don't like market timing. Beware. It has been discredited too many times.

Ed

I listened to 1 show and I dont like gurus with something to sell. He is big into assett allocation. Why do I need somebody to tell me what index funds to invest in?

Back
Top Bottom