Join Early Retirement Today

Merry Christmas from the power company
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Merry Christmas from the power company

Our electric co-op notified us this week that effective December 25 our rates would be increasing by just over 30%. Some gift - and the b@stids didn't even wrap it.

Yeah, the new rates are only $0.107 kWh and are guaranteed for one year, but still...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Our electric co-op notified us this week that effective December 25 our rates would be increasing by just over 30%. Some gift - and the b@stids didn't even wrap it.

Yeah, the new rates are only $0.107 kWh and are guaranteed for one year, but still...
Tell them you are going to install a $100k solar system and to go %$!# themselves.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

My rate for 2009 is $0.1113/kWh so that doesn't seem so bad. Perhaps a 10% increase per year for 5 years would be a better way to get the rates up to the level of most other areas. A gradual increase is less noticeable and more tolerable.

At least they give you an entire 2 weeks to adjust your electric budget by 30%
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yet another example of all that deflation the government claims has occurred...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Look at it this way REWahoo...maybe our next summer will be on the cool side...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #6

"Cool side"? As in 99 vs 101? Oh yeah...
Old 12-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
"Cool side"? As in 99 vs 101? Oh yeah...
Only now, the heat pump has been working overtime in the last couple weeks instead of the AC. It's barely 40º here today...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Considering how you are getting screwed, seems to be a more appropriate valentine's day gift.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Only now, the heat pump has been working overtime in the last couple weeks instead of the AC. It's barely 40º here today...
You turn the heat pump on when it's still a balmy 40f? Perhaps physics works differently down there, but up here we don't worry about the pipes freezing until the temp drops below 33f. Darn Zig, no wonder energy usage is up!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

In SW PA we have another year before the wheels come off rate caps expire. Allegheny power sent a warning hint about it.

They are also discussing installing time of day rate metering. For on;y an additional $14 or for the privilege. Don't know when they will start installing them. We may not have a choice when they get around toit.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yet another example of all that deflation the government claims has occurred...
Anyone using natural gas should be seeing massive rate reductions. Or your utility company is screwing you. Our rates are down 30-40%. I'm looking forward to hopefully saving a couple hundred dollars this winter due to rate reductions. And the rate has been steadily dropping for a year now.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Anyone using natural gas should be seeing massive rate reductions. Or your utility company is screwing you. Our rates are down 30-40%. I'm looking forward to hopefully saving a couple hundred dollars this winter due to rate reductions. And the rate has been steadily dropping for a year now.
We use wind generated electricity. You'd think with all the hot air coming from the Foggy Bottom area rates would be dropping like Tiger Woods pants...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yikes! We're paying 0.13841 ... you're getting a bargin!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We use wind generated electricity. You'd think with all the hot air coming from the Foggy Bottom area rates would be dropping like Tiger Woods pants...
I feel bad for ole Tiger. I went by walmart the other day and saw a clearance display with the whole Tiger Woods line of clothing and accessories. A sign above the apparel read "Tiger Woods pants and shirts - Half Off".

Moral of the story? Pay a little more for lectricity and a little less for clothing.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

My most recent electric bill was $29.34 for 435 kWh.

(It would have been $27.21, were it not for the "LURC Hurricane Charge" which I assume is paying for Katrina damage to the power lines or something.)

The $29.34 includes all of the fuel adjustments and other weird fees. I guess that no matter how you compute it, I'm not paying any more than $29.34/435 = $0.067/kWh. And we're only in the next state over.

I think you are getting the shaft.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #16

W2R, I suppose it is all relative. According to this info from the Dept of Energy, the average cost per kWh in Texas for residential electricity in Aug of 2009 was $0.124. I was paying $0.082 at the time, and will be paying less than the state average even after the gouging rate increase - not that I'm consoled much by that fact.

According to this same information, your $0.067 is 17% under the Louisiana average.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My most recent electric bill was $29.34 for 435 kWh.
Wow, that is very cheap. I also use about 435kWh per month May-Oct but my bill is in the upper $40's. Of course that will quadruple each of the next 4 months.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #18
Administrator

I also got a recent notice of a "service improvement" that is really just a rate hike beginning next billing cycle. What really interested me was that this hike is due to a higher than usual rate of defaults on payments to the utility company.

Last year, they changed their software platform and the new set up couldn't handle a monthly budget payment (which was an average of the preceding years bill plus and rate increases) unless you did an automatic payment from your checking account.
Many folks either wouldn't or couldn't set this up and low and behold now the big winter bills are going unpaid. What a surprise!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Wow, that is very cheap. I also use about 435kWh per month May-Oct but my bill is in the upper $40's. Of course that will quadruple each of the next 4 months.
Mine is a whole lot more in the summer. Right now it is low because I have gas heat, that only uses a little electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
According to this same information, your $0.067 is 17% under the Louisiana average
Oh, goodie. I guess that means I'll be getting a rate increase soon, too.

Electricity is something I can cut back on pretty easily if I need to, fortunately.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I can tell you how to fix that... You probably just went with the default heat pump intake source, which is present location. You need to log into it, and change the intake source to 'Honduras' for the winter. You did get the user-provisionable one, didn't you?