Join Early Retirement Today

Method to redeem credit card cash back
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Discover Card has three methods to redeem the earned cash back:

1. Apply to the next monthly statement.
2. Send to charity.
3. Redeem for a gift card for a Discover partner that typically offers a discount (redeem $45 cash and receive a $50 gift card).

It seems that redeeming to a gift card with such a typical discount increases the utility of the cash back payback, especially if you were going to spend funds at that partner anyway. We have always applied the cash back to the next monthly statement during the December big spend but may switch to the gift card method.

I believe some credit cards allow the cash back proceeds to be directed into an investment account.

How do you redeem the cash back that you get from your credit card(s)?

CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Apply to next monthly statement. Offsets the next month's spending. It's basically all one big pot of money.

timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Automatic deposits on the Fidelity and Schwab cards. Manual bank deposits on the cards that allow that. All others, a manual statement credit. Discover is a bit of a pain in that I used to be able to do a manual bank deposit. That option has been perpetually grayed out on the website for a long time now, so I just do a manual statement credit now.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do whatever gives me the most back. Usually that’s credit on the statement.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

I go with the dough.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Once,long ago, there were gift cards for restaurants sold at a discount and I would buy those as a gift for myself. Now my card sells the cards but at full face value(a pet peeve)
I lie to myself a lot. I used 200.00 against my balance when I bought my dishwasher to pretend I did not spend too much money on it. I still put it in the expenses at full price though.
I think putting it as a payment is dull but the most effective use of funds.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine goes into my secret slush fund that I use for non hubby approved purchases. Mostly travel or ukuleles....
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

My Capital One Venture card can only be applied against travel and vacation charges. I can use it to pay hotel bills, transportation and meals.

So far, we've cashed it in for two flights to Europe this year. My wife ran up on a 2 hour fare sale Nashville to Berlin for just over $400--and down from a normal $1400ish. It's nice to have points saved where we can take advantage of bargains quickly.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #9

I apply it to the statement. At Amazon, I never use it to discount the purchase. I lose 5% if I do that.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #10

Fidelity...2% each month in cash into my taxable account. I get the funds usually in 2 days or less.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #11

A gift card means you have to spend more to receive your reward. Gift cards are a pain for me to track. I always go for the statement credit.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 PM   #12

I normally deposit Discover cash back to my credit union checking account. I’m starting to use AmEx more after reading recent discussions here about cash backs. Those rewards I take as a statement credit.

When I moved between states in 2015 I racked up a lot of Discover cash back for moving expenses. They were then offering a deal where you could buy Lowe’s (home improvement) cards at a discount, something like $100 card for $90.

I cashed all the Discover rewards for Lowe’s cards and used them to buy a very nice Bosch jobsite radio with battery backup that I still use and was very glad to have when Hurricane Matthew visited.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I apply it to the statement. At Amazon, I never use it to discount the purchase. I lose 5% if I do that.
Exactly!
Old 08-09-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

With BOA, cash refunds work the best. Even for my travel card, I transfer the points to another BOA card in order to effectively have the cash refund equal the credit statement.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I just did this recently on my Chase Freedom and Discover.

With Discover, I credited the cashback to my statement balance due.

With Chase Freedom, I transferred the cashback to my checking, which is where I pay my bill from, so accomplishing the same thing as with Discover.
GenXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
The Discover Card has three methods to redeem the earned cash back:

1. Apply to the next monthly statement.
2. Send to charity.
3. Redeem for a gift card for a Discover partner that typically offers a discount (redeem $45 cash and receive a $50 gift card).

It seems that redeeming to a gift card with such a typical discount increases the utility of the cash back payback, especially if you were going to spend funds at that partner anyway. We have always applied the cash back to the next monthly statement during the December big spend but may switch to the gift card method.

I believe some credit cards allow the cash back proceeds to be directed into an investment account.

How do you redeem the cash back that you get from your credit card(s)?
we apply it as a credit to the account.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Does anybody know if you can get a cc once you retire? Also, in my case no ss, pension or IRA distributions. No income stream just living on cash for the past few years.

Currently have the majority of our IRA' s at Fidelity. Would this be a factor for approval of a Fidelity cc?
littleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I never thought about that. So it's because you get 5% added bonus? So I put $10 as statement credit, they add $0.50 bonus for next time? Because I usually just apply it to Amazon purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
A gift card means you have to spend more to receive your reward. Gift cards are a pain for me to track. I always go for the statement credit.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleb View Post
Does anybody know if you can get a cc once you retire? Also, in my case no ss, pension or IRA distributions. No income stream just living on cash for the past few years.

Currently have the majority of our IRA' s at Fidelity. Would this be a factor for approval of a Fidelity cc?
Elan at Fidelity is good, but any card is fair game if you have a good credit rating it's no problem; just make-up an income number. I usually say it's about 150 or 200% of my annual spending. You might check http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rds-95740.html
There are loads of options when selecting a CC.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I never thought about that. So it's because you get 5% added bonus? So I put $10 as statement credit, they add $0.50 bonus for next time? Because I usually just apply it to Amazon purchases.
No, you don't get a bonus on points used as statement credits. The 5% refers to the points you aren't earning because you didn't charge the full amount of the new purchase. For example, if you have 1000 points accrued, and you're going to spend $100 on a new Amazon purchase, then you have two options:

1) Charge $90 and use the 1000 points as $10 credit. After the purchase, you'll receive 450 points on the $90 charge, which you can use for $4.50 off something else in the future. Net savings of $14.50.

2) Charge $100. After the purchase you'll receive 500 points on the $100 charge for a total of 1500 points. which you can use for a statement credit of $15. Net savings of $15.00.

Unless you buy a ton of stuff at Amazon, these are very small amounts and probably only a few dollars over the course of a year. But hey, I would pick up 50 cents if I saw it on the sidewalk, and it's no trouble to cash the points in once every few months, so why not?

cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote