Join Early Retirement Today

Microsoft Money RIP
Old 06-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Microsoft Money RIP

I know some posters here use this software. Apparently Microsoft will be abandoning it. Sales cease after June 2009, support after Jan 2011.

Microsoft to close the till on Microsoft Money | All about Microsoft | ZDNet.com

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes. I got the pop-up notice this morning when I fired it up. I only use it to keep track of my portfolio, and not to do on-line banking or tracking expenses which my wife handles in her own way.

For portfolio tracking (I have 10 different accounts spread among 4 brokerages), it's superb and I hate to lose it. I don't know if the stock prices will still get updated via their server. That is all I need.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For portfolio tracking (I have 10 different accounts spread among 4 brokerages), it's superb and I hate to lose it. I don't know if the stock prices will still get updated via their server. That is all I need.
From the article :

After that date, “the software will still work, but all the online services backing it up will be decommissioned — meaning no automatic flow of account, stock market, tax data, etc. So people can import that stuff by hand if they want to keep using the product.”
Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

2 years ago, after about the third cycle of Quicken's game of turning off your updates every three years to force you to buy a new version, I gave up and just updated my accounts by hand at the end of each month. I pay less attention to day-by-day movements in markets, and pay more attention to long-term changes in my finances. It's well worth the time spent.
rjsciurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:52 AM   #5

I have over 15 years of data in MS Money ... never upgraded beyond 2005 thou. Been great at tax season.

Only thing that will kill me is if the bank stops downloading in MS Money format. No way I am entering this stuff by hand! Ceasing bank support is inevitable.

I wonder if Quicken has a download interface to MS Money?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post
I wonder if Quicken has a download interface to MS Money?
Apparently Quicken does have some conversion tools for Money users.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan View Post

Only thing that will kill me is if the bank stops downloading in MS Money format.
This is exactly why I try to stay away from proprietary formats for data.

I'd suggest everyone contact their financial institutions and encourage them to support an open format for financial downloads. Then anyone can use whichever program that best suits them.

A google gave me this as the first hit:

Open Financial Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Open Financial Exchange

List of software supporting OFX

* Accountz Personal (OFX file importing only) (for Mac OS X v10.4+, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Linux) [3]
* ACCPAC
* iBank [4] (for Mac OS X)
* iCompta [5] (for Mac OS X)
* GnuCash (since version 2.0)
* Microsoft Money
* Microsoft Office Accounting
* Moneydance
* KMyMoney
* Icarra [6]
* Apple iWork ’08, ’09 Numbers[7]
* Cha-Ching [8] (for Mac OS X)
* Aquamaniac Banking Interface [9]
* Squirrel [10] (for Mac OS X Leopard)
* Xero [11] (for PC, Mac and iPhone)
* SplashMoney [12] (for Windows, Mac, iPhone, BlackBerry, Palm, WM)
* ClearCheckbook.com [13] (web-based application) Import Only
* Simple Home Budget [14] (import only)
* Fortora Fresh Finance
* Google Finance
* You Need A Budget (YNAB)
May be better alternatives, that was the first I saw.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got fed up with both MS's and Quicken's forced upgrade cycle years ago and switched to Moneydance (Moneydance® 2008 - Personal Finance Manager for Mac, Windows, and Linux) after briefly trying a few other options in ERD50's list. Moneydance is cross platform (PC, Mac, Linux, etc.) and relatively cheap but not open source.

I do need to give GnuCash (Free Accounting Software | GnuCash) another look now since it now appears to support some direct transaction downloads (which was not the case a few years ago when I gave it a whirl).

Does anyone else have experience with other MS and Quicken alternatives? Specifically, I am interested in a free, open source, cross platform application which does support downloading transactions, balances, etc. from not only my banks but also my brokers.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I've used gnucash (on linux) for a few years now and find it adequate. However, I prefer manually downloading the transactions from my accounts and then importing the transactions from the local files.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This is exactly why I try to stay away from proprietary formats for data.

snip...
A google gave me this as the first hit:

Open Financial Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May be better alternatives, that was the first I saw.

-ERD50
OFX is just a data exchange format & many of the banks use that when importing data to MS Money.

I think you meant the file format used by MS Money to store accounts,transactions etc on to your hard drive when talking about proprietary formats.
dumadum is offline   Reply With Quote