Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have come to the conclusion that if you have ~$2.5m in NW NOT including your main living property. With a 4% WR ($100k PA) That would put you in the Middle to Upper Middle C!&$$ . Add SS and Pensions and it would put you squarely into the Upper Middle. JMHO I could be wrong.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Plymouth is a great location within 30 minutes of downtown Minneapolis and the lake is a lot quieter than Lake Minnetonka, which is crowded by big boats and farther to downtown.
I like Plymouth quite a bit, and actually love the new neighborhood, even though I'm a little uncomfortable with being on the less wealthy side of the curve now. Its a lot easier to not worry about keeping up with the Joneses when the Joneses can't afford to do anything all that exciting.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
I like Plymouth quite a bit, and actually love the new neighborhood, even though I'm a little uncomfortable with being on the less wealthy side of the curve now. Its a lot easier to not worry about keeping up with the Joneses when the Joneses can't afford to do anything all that exciting.
1 problem with Plymouth. Cold as Hell in the winter. Not in my ideal retirement garden spots.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #184
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
1 problem with Plymouth. Cold as Hell in the winter. Not in my ideal retirement garden spots.
I'm not looking to start an argument or anything, but my understanding is hell is not cold at all, but just the opposite - very hot.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #185
Give me a forum ...

It's well known that the devil tailors each experience to the individual sinner's dislikes, which the devil knows even better than the sinner does.

In other words, you may yet be surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'm not looking to start an argument or anything, but my understanding is hell is not cold at all, but just the opposite - very hot.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
LOL.... OK you win.... But not an ideal retirement spot nevertheless.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Perhaps hell freezes over in Minnesota.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #188

It's pretty cold there today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HellMi.jpg (235.5 KB, 35 views)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #189
Administrator

Quote:
Dante says that there is a frozen lake in the middle of Hell. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocytus
Old 02-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

https://www.google.com/search?source...44.O6ak1awaaXM
Old 02-13-2018, 05:10 PM   #191

Quote:
Anywhere in Minnesota in the winter is simply Brrr cold!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #192

My wife kisses me several times during the day, my kids, their spouses and grandkids hug, kiss and seem to enjoy my company. My neighbors wave back when I wave to them, my 7 tenants all acknowledge me and for the most part pay their rent on time all the time. My brothers and sisters all speak to me when I am around, and pleasantries are always exchanged when we get together on a regular basis.

At least to my face.

I am rich beyond compare; life is good. I don't know what class that is, but I'm fine with the one I'm in.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #193
Recycles dryer sheets

Just read another recently published article about money and happiness. Apparently there is a sweet spot.

“...It’s been debated at what point does money no longer change your level of well-being. We found that the ideal income point is $95,000 for life evaluation and $60,000 to $75,000 for emotional well-being...Emotional well-being, or feelings, is about one’s day-to-day emotions, such as feeling happy, excited, or sad and angry. Life evaluation, really life satisfaction, is an overall assessment of how one is doing and is likely more influenced by higher goals and comparisons to others...The study also found once the threshold was reached, further increases in income tended to be associated with reduced life satisfaction and a lower level of well-being..."

Money only buys happiness for a certain amount - Purdue University
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
The study also found once the threshold was reached, further increases in income tended to be associated with reduced life satisfaction and a lower level of well-being..."
I don't believe the above. Most people will agree that there is a diminishing effect with increasing income, but negative?

It could be because the higher income jobs come with more stress, and that additional money may not be worth it. We have seen many doctors on this forum retire early for that exact reason.

But, if one can get more money for no additional work, would you refuse because it makes you less happy? Come on!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:18 PM   #195

According to this article you only need 375k in retirement to be middle class.

Nowadays, to sustain a “comfortable” and “middle-class” lifestyle in retirement, a retiree will need about $375,000 in savings. The reality is that most folks fall far short of that number.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #196
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My post was a joke.
I got it
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 PM   #197
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
Just read another recently published article about money and happiness. Apparently there is a sweet spot.

“...It’s been debated at what point does money no longer change your level of well-being. We found that the ideal income point is $95,000 for life evaluation and $60,000 to $75,000 for emotional well-being...Emotional well-being, or feelings, is about one’s day-to-day emotions, such as feeling happy, excited, or sad and angry. Life evaluation, really life satisfaction, is an overall assessment of how one is doing and is likely more influenced by higher goals and comparisons to others.
Money only buys happiness for a certain amount - Purdue University

I think the good ol' Boilermaker grad students who authored this study are off-- way off. The study states that the the ideal income point is $95,000 per individual. This is the kind of rubbish that leads folks to believe that they'll never retire with enough $ to live happily and well, let alone ER.
Cayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It's well known that the devil tailors each experience to the individual sinner's dislikes, which the devil knows even better than the sinner does.

In other words, you may yet be surprised
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I think what you're trying to establish is not upper/middle/lower class living. Warren Buffet lives a middle class, possibly lower-middle-class lifestyle. He goes to McDonald's for the cheapest breakfast possible and drives a simple car. He lives in the same house he's lived in forever. .
Buffet's house is usually pictured from the front.

From that angle, it does appear to be a modest home.

But an aerial photo shows essentially another full-sized home at the back.

There's nothing "lower-middle-class" about where he lives.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #200

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that if you have ~$2.5m in NW NOT including your main living property. With a 4% WR ($100k PA) That would put you in the Middle to Upper Middle C!&$$ . Add SS and Pensions and it would put you squarely into the Upper Middle. JMHO I could be wrong.
Sounds like John Goodman's speech in the Gambler. Google it, but NSFW language.

Edit - look for the 1 minute version.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote