Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Mike jackson, CEO of AutoNation Calls For Higher Gas Tax at the Pump
Old 05-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mike jackson, CEO of AutoNation Calls For Higher Gas Tax at the Pump

Gas Prices: $4 Gas Has Consumers at 'Tipping Point': AutoNation CEO - Automotive * US * News * Story - MSNBC.com

He also discusses electric vehicles.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Yes, I agree..this is my primary reason - "America is now exporting $600 billion worth of capital a year to countries like Venezuela…That’s a genuine national security risk to be sending that kind of money into Venezuela....the Middle East,"
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

He talks about electric cars as the game changer. Here's an article about a car called the Think City that will be available in the US within 2 years. It's an electric car that gets about 110 miles on a charge and is about the same size as a Smart car.

Norway's Think to Produce, Sell Small Electric Cars in U.S. - WSJ.com
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

NOTE...

Even people in Norway know that it is tough to live here...

""But we think there's an opportunity for us also on the East Coast, or any city in the U.S. that wants to encourage use of pollution free electric cars. We don't care if it is in Texas, we will be there."

So... we will see if he stays in Texas... y'all are all aware of the problems here... and expensive electricity is just one of them... so what is the MPG equivalent? (lucky for spell check... I just could not remember how to spell that word!!)..
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

While I am all for the higher gas prices through additional taxation as a way to motivate innovation and decrease demand for fossil fuel at the same time I have to think that these higher prices would have secondary unintended consequences.

For example cities that aren't located on the east coast don't necessarily have good public transportation options. And without solid public transportation the people who live in the suburbs will find their costs increasing disproportionately more than those who already live in the city.

I would think that over time this would have a further deflationary effect on housing as a lot of the US is built on the automobile supported suburban model rather than on the public transportation supported inner city living model like European and east coast cities.

At the same time that suburban homes would be losing value the inner city condos and apartments would be increasing in value. So trying to sell your suburban home would be more difficult and you would find the city dwellings ever more expensive. I suppose it would force downsizing (decreasing additional sources of fossil fuel use such as electricity and gas) because one would not be able to afford nearly the same amount of living space as before.

I suppose that as retirees who aren't going to work on a daily basis this might not affect a great percentage of this boards audience, but for others...
Johnphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 05:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

With all due respect to the above poster, that's the kind of thinking that has gotten us into the fix we're in. You don't offer an alternative, so I take it you think we should fight for lower fuel costs and maintain the status quo. Can't remember the saying verbatim but 'insanity is doing the same thing you've always done and expecting different results.' I'd beg you to read The Seven Myths of Energy Independence. I'm all for personal responsibility and I wouldn't have said this 20 years ago, but I've given up on Americans doing anything to conserve (anything) without a strong economic incentive to do so. It does not have to cost us more overall...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

the tax will just suck money out of other areas of the economy . most still need to drive to work, period. we dont work in the same towns we live in like europe. this aint europe where they have almost no personal income tax and fund everything thru gas taxes and vats. even at 10.00 bucks a gallon i bet they have more money in their pockets then we do because of tax structure
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the tax will just suck money out of other areas of the economy . most still need to drive to work, period. we dont work in the same towns we live in like europe. this aint europe where they have almost no personal income tax and fund everything thru gas taxes and vats. even at 10.00 bucks a gallon i bet they have more money in their pockets then we do because of tax structure
So your suggestion is?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

nuclear, more refinarys and stop sinking all this money in iraq without some kind of reimbursement with oil......
Old 05-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
nuclear, more refinarys and stop sinking all this money in iraq without some kind of reimbursement with oil......
There's a reason oil companies stopped building refineries decades ago, ongoing environmental opposition and thin margins in the 80's to justify building them are two that come to mind. They have been expanding refineries though, more cost effective, which saves you money too.

I am not thrilled with our engagement in Iraq and I don't want to hijack this thread to that subject, but they didn't ask us to intervene so why are we entitled to being reimbursed with their oil?

The US is about 5% of the world's population yet we use 25% of the world's oil. I don't think we have a right to perpetuate that in the first place, but it's not sustainable anyway. If something doesn't change sooner or later demand will exceed supply and supply is only get to get more expensive as it's harder to find and extract. Some would argue that we're on the cusp of pushing the demand-supply situation - but regardless it is only a matter of time. We can either take steps to improve our energy security (higher gas taxes to encourage conservation and nuclear energy are two viable options) now, or keep our heads in the sand and wait until gas it $15/gallon and China is the lone superpower...

Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My bold...

SAY WHAT? Sorry, but you need to read up on taxes in some other countries... I still have a big foreign tax credit that I can not use because I had to pay so much more in PERSONAL income taxes over there than here... my experience is the UK.... but I have heard it is the same for most other countries in the EU...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Fine with me if we debate it for about a year before we start it. My husband's long commute will end in September '09.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
My bold...

SAY WHAT? Sorry, but you need to read up on taxes in some other countries... I still have a big foreign tax credit that I can not use because I had to pay so much more in PERSONAL income taxes over there than here... my experience is the UK.... but I have heard it is the same for most other countries in the EU...

you are correct, i took a look and yep they do have pretty high tax rates but its soooo hard to compare. as an example denmark can run as high as 44% but they pay nothing for healthcare.......
Old 05-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

better idea boot out the 11 million illegal aliens here....... thats 11 million less people using energy