Mike Piper's Social Security Made Simple free Kindle download

jdmorton

Recycles dryer sheets
Mike Piper's book on social security is a free download for Kindle devices over the next 5 days. Paper books are $5. I have a couple of his other books on retirement and investing, which I found pretty good. In addition, they are fairly quick reads. I downloaded my free copy to my Kindle ereader from Amazon.com.

Mike Piper's book on social security is a free download for Kindle devices over the next 5 days. Paper books are $5. I have a couple of his other books on retirement and investing, which I found pretty good. In addition, they are fairly quick reads. I downloaded my free copy to my Kindle ereader from Amazon.com.
Got mine, thanks!

I met Mike briefly at FINCON12. Good guy. I like his franchise writing.

Just downloaded. Will skim but I'm 10 years away, if ever.

I got this too. Thank you. I like the way this guy writes and organizes his material.

Of course I like it partly because it simplifies the same way I did when I was trying to get a handle on this. If you are single and not terminally ill, wait till 70 or until you absolutely need it, whichever comes first.

Re-evaluate only if real interest rates get to 3%.

If you are married, have a minor child, etc etc, it only gets better. The base (and worst) case is single, and that dominates the commercially available competition.

If you wory abou tpolitical changes, and truly believe that the payouts will suffer enough to change this comparison, still, check against commercial annuities. Even a crippled SS is likely better, and it may never happen anyway.

Pay 0 attention to breakeven. They is no way to use your money once you are in heaven anyway.

I did deviate from this when the stock market went way down, and more importantly, real interest rates went way up. I started at about 68 1/2. But some kind person posted on this board that paybacks were perhaps going the way of the dodo. The next morning I was at the SS office getting what i needed to payback. It was a frustrating trip into government craziness, but it worked out fine and I then restarted as I had originally planned at age 70.

Ha

Last edited:
Just got it thanks!

Downloaded at the speed of light. Woooooo :dance:

My reading [-]the blizzard[/-] season has not yet started. I am 8 years away from age 62, but I will give reading this book due diligence.

Mr B will turn 62 next August, so my guess is he will read it more carefully than I will.

Thanks for posting the link. :flowers:

Thanks for posting the link. Downloaded it and read it. The book is alright, but what it covered are likely already known quite well by most here, and had also been discussed in multiple threads by some pretty knowledgeable posters.

After reading Ha's synopsis I feel as if I don't need to read the book, but I downloaded it anyway :)

After reading Ha's synopsis I feel as if I don't need to read the book, but I downloaded it anyway :)
Good that you got the book. Some of my outline involved a lot of adlibbing.

Ha

Running Mr. Piper's Numbers

I jumped right in and figured my own numbers according to Mr. Piper’s examples. I went down to the SS office last February and got printouts for starting my benefits on my (deceased) wife’s account and on my account for every month until I turn 70. I ran the numbers according to Mr. Piper’s examples assuming I start drawing SS next May. As a widower, these numbers turn out better than the examples in the book:

Monthly benefit on my account starting in May: $1819
Monthly benefit on my wife’s account starting in May: $1031
What I forego each month using wife’s account until 70: $ 788
Cost at 70 (81mos*788/mo): $63,836
Monthly benefit on my account at 70: $2940
Additional income ($2940-$1819) $1121/mo or $13,454/yr
Payback per year ($13,454/$63,836): 21%

I’m looking at this as a very good deal on an inflation adjusted annuity.

Hermit

well someone didnt like the idea of free because the book vanished. its no where on amazon right now to be found for the kindle.

got my copy the other day.

I got my copy. Thanks jdmorton for the heads up!

Mike Piper's book on social security is a free download for Kindle devices over the next 5 days.

Thanks for the heads up. I got my copy before the price went back up. I found it a pleasant read which refreshed my understanding of the current rules.

Back
Top Bottom