Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
As I understand it, this is not true for most. Only true if you are part of the inactive reserve. If you're on the regular retired list, you're not. Usually if you have more than 30 years from your start date, you're clear.

Since I retired 5 months ago after 20 years, and I was transferred to the Fleet Reserve List according to my DD-214, specifically subject to recall by SECNAV, I still technically am for 9 years and 7 more months, at which point I transfer to the Regular Retired List. Then I can pillage and plunder to my heart's content.
There are a lot of caveats to the law and the law is still in flux about it (to a point). Don't do anything exceedingly stupid and you should be good to go!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Don't do anything exceedingly stupid and you should be good to go!
Sure, NOW he tells me!
Old 06-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #83

Another retired Sailor here...medically retired at the 23 active year mark Feb 2019, but over 30 including reserve time. A bonus for medical retirees, our Tricare premiums are locked into the retirement year rates. Pension dollars based on O3E, but ID states LCDR (promoted out door as I was selected for promotion-I refer to it as my vanity promotion!!). On the bummer side, I had enough issues to garner 100% P&T from the VA, so there is some dealing with that. But, exempt from NJ property taxes never hurts! (And my fishing license is free!)

Had been on military leave of absence from my state job for nearly eight years. Returned to that position, was back long enough to “buy back” those recalled to active duty years into the state pension system, and then drop my retirement request. Halloween 2019 was my last W2 employee day!! (Age 49)

In the middle of all that, we purchased our forever home on a small lake in NW NJ, began renovating in Dec 2019, and are beginning to enjoy the fruits of our saving and planning labors.

As far as ‘w*rk,’seven years ago we purchased a business selling jerky at beer & wine festivals. While paying off mortgage, hubby was up to 42 shows per year. Now that we don’t have that issue, we have cut down to about 5-7 shows (well, zero so far in the Covid 19 era). Fortunately, this business is just funding our travel budget-so not end of world. We’ll focus on enjoying our awesome new lake home for a while!

Now if the world would just settle down to a dull roar!
Old 06-05-2020, 08:20 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I was extremely fortunate to retire from the AF in a flight test job, and get hired by a defense contractor to perform essentially the same job. I was even able to keep the same desk and work tele number. It paid a good bit more that the military gig, which enabled me to retire comfortably after about 10 years at age 58.
We ended up in Florida and have plenty of $ to cover our essentials, to include golf, tennis, and generally goofing off.
Was always my plan when I signed up, but the universe had a different plan. I always thought, man wouldn't that be cake if I could just take off the BDUs and put on a turtleneck for my transition.

I did get a second crack at DoD work which was great. Now civvy side until ER in 10.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:52 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
I went to Navy OCS in Pensacola in '97 when I was 24, then received a commission and went to flight school in '98. Never originally intended to be a career, but I ended up serving 20 years until retirement in '17. Could have lived off of the retirement pay and investments, but we decided to tear down our house and build a new one. So I took a Beltway Bandit job in '18 to cover the additional expenses, and I'm still working there now. Hoping to retire for good in the next year or 2.
Missed you in Pensacola by one year. I went through OCS in 98. Fun Fact: I was in the class ahead of Jocko Willink. He was the president of his OCS class 17-98 and I was the president of mine, OCS class 16-98. And yes, he is just as intense in person as he is on his podcast or in his books. The kid is "on" all the time!!!!
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #86
Confused about dryer sheets

Retired July 2005 @ 38 (approx 21yrs AD), MSgt USMC. Total earned income since is less than 25K, eight zeros posted to SS earnings statement so far. Debt free. Thank you all for your service.
slick8511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:22 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

retired navy, retired civil service, social security, medicare, Tricare....
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #88

I enjoyed this post. I am still in, Navy, just went over 35 years. I have been thinking about retirement for the past 5 years. I will not have to work after retirement, which is why I am posting. I get a lot of people telling me about job offers after I retire, which is prob in 2 years. I say to them, my plan is not to work ever again at a job, but to work at what I enjoy and travel. Thank all of you for posting. It helps for confidence that I can do it when the time comes.
Marty66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:00 AM   #89

26 years retired in 2018. 15 1/2 Navy/10 1/2 Army.

I'm currently working as a Government Civilian. I don't necessarily HAVE to, but for peace of mind and until my youngest finishes school here in Germany, I'll keep working.

Still in Germany, but we really want to retire in Malaysia (or somewhere in Asia)

My pension and va disability covers our lifestyle, so my pay check is available to continue to prepare for full FIRE.
Mook1e is offline   Reply With Quote