Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

This is my last month on active duty. November 30th will cap 28 years, 6 months, and 26 days.

I've been on terminal leave since August which is a pretty good gig by the way. Am currently selling all sorts of stuff just trying to declutter the massive amounts of junk I've acquired over the years.
FDC319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
How many military retirees are on here?

Did you work after military retirement? If so, did you realy HAVE to work?

Where did you retire to?

Did your pension and any saving cover your lifestyle?

As you can probably tell from all of the responses, there are a lot of mil retirees on here:-)
-For me, being enlisted back then, yes, we had to continue to w*rk! Did not have enough saved to retire at age 44. DW retired in 01 April 2020with her pension and SS at 66, I on the other hand still am working until June 2021 most likely until this COVID goes away. I will be one month shy of 61 years old and then we will have a very comfortable life. We really had to save plenty over the last 15 years to be able to do what we wanted in retirement. As everyone knows here, Medical is really not an issue.
Good luck!
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Haha. Someone had to give us a ride to combat. Thanks squidlies!

Semper Fi!

DW 21 years AD USMC. Me-23 AD USMC. DW is a gov civ now. Me a contractor. Covering all the bases.
I love the Devil Dogs!!!! Over two hundred years of guarding gates and they aint lost a gate yet!!!! Bravo Zulu!!!!
griffithee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We sailors already got all the hot ones. You guys are welcome to the rest.

🤣🤣⚓️⚓️
Old 11-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixs View Post
The timeline is essentially the same in the AF. It is a conundrum that I have definitely considered and don't particularly have a good answer. Gotta love service commitments We have an option to opt out of promotion consideration but who really wants to do that...
I had the same delema in 1997. Hell, take the promotion. You will see in the end you will always be called the top dog :-). Pad your account/s with the extra cash and retire at the top of your game. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDC319 View Post
This is my last month on active duty. November 30th will cap 28 years, 6 months, and 26 days.

I've been on terminal leave since August which is a pretty good gig by the way. Am currently selling all sorts of stuff just trying to declutter the massive amounts of junk I've acquired over the years.
A good long run serving your country, enjoy your retirement and thank you for your service.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:55 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrLurker View Post
Retired at 52 after 30 years. Returned to Washington State...pension covers everything.
That is amazing. Good for you and thanks for your service! :-)
Old 11-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #108
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
My wife and I are both retired Navy. I did 20, she did 24. I retired at age 38 and started my current and only civilian job while I was on terminal leave. I will turn 60 in March.

Mike
Mike why haven't you walked away yet with two mil pensions?
Old 11-06-2020, 06:59 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
DW and I both retired from Army, me at 20 years and her at 21 years.

She was without a job for a year but didn't like being a stay-at-home mom, so she worked at the school for another 20 years and retired with a small pension from county.

I went back to work as a govt contractor for about 6 years and then went to work at Verizon for another 18 years. No pension from Verizon but the 401K allowed us to save enough to retire comfortably.

DW is on Medicare and Kaiser so she is good and I'm using Tricare Prime till I get medicare eligible.

Our Army checks have paid house payment plus a bit of travel each year and our other expenses are paid from 401K/IRA savings.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:43 AM   #110
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Mike why haven't you walked away yet with two mil pensions?

Wife retired from the Naval reserves. She doesn't start drawing her pension until she turns 60. About another year and a half. At the same she starts drawing her military pension she will also have 30 years with the Federal Government. I have been working for the same company since I went on terminal leave back in May of 1998. The company, at the time, was privately owned but then became an ESOP in 2006 when the owners sold to the employees. The stock has been going through the roof over the last 14 years. My stock value has outpaced my 401k. It's a situation that would never happen to you.......it would happen to other guy. I was in the right place at the right time. Our current plan is for my wife to work until she's 62 which means I will work until I'm 64. We expect to have our house paid for by the end of this year. Life is good!
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:43 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffithee View Post
I love the Devil Dogs!!!! Over two hundred years of guarding gates and they aint lost a gate yet!!!! Bravo Zulu!!!!
Thanks griffithee. 245 years old tomorrow. Formed in a bar. You'll still find many of us there.

I have served with some incredible folks in all the branches. Even the Coasties.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:59 AM   #112

Hopefully this is ok with the censors. But it's so true! received_735732327296888.jpeg
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

Relevant to this thread: https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Rel...o-retired-pay/

1.3% for those retired before 2020.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDC319 View Post
Relevant to this thread: https://www.defense.gov/Newsroom/Rel...o-retired-pay/

1.3% for those retired before 2020.
Sweet my current pension of $1580/month times 0.013 is a pay raise of $20.54, so I will be paid $1600.54/month.

Now I can afford to buy my own skate key.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offgrid Organic Farmer View Post
Sweet my current pension of $1580/month times 0.013 is a pay raise of $20.54, so I will be paid $1600.54/month.
For those who are wondering why their military pension deposit is in whole dollars, it's the Financial Management Regulation (DoD 7000.14-R) rule on rounding down to the nearest dollar.

See section 030209 "Rounding Retired Pay" of Volume 7B Chapter 3:
https://comptroller.defense.gov/Port...07b/07b_03.pdf

I've been retired since 2002, and the last 18 years of COLAs have included three years of zero COLAs. Despite those zero COLAs, my pension has still risen a total of 40% over that time. It's also grown faster than our spending.

Historical COLAs are listed starting on page 8-23 of Chapter 8:
https://comptroller.defense.gov/Port...07b/07b_08.pdf

I'd much rather have a small COLA (even a zero COLA) during years of low inflation instead of a higher COLA during years of higher inflation.
https://the-military-guide.com/how-m...itary-pension/

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

DW is retired from the Canadian Air Force and on 100% disability. I quit the US Air Force after the Gulf War (1991) and finished college.
I worked because I was young and healthy. And for the money.🙂
Spent 20+ years trapped in our 1200 square foot city home, managing medical bills, and dealing with the VA.
In 2017, we sold that first home and retired (I still work part time) to a 2400 square foot hilltop house in the Texas hill country.
Doingitwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:14 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigley View Post
Wife retired from the Naval reserves. She doesn't start drawing her pension until she turns 60. About another year and a half. At the same she starts drawing her military pension she will also have 30 years with the Federal Government. I have been working for the same company since I went on terminal leave back in May of 1998. The company, at the time, was privately owned but then became an ESOP in 2006 when the owners sold to the employees. The stock has been going through the roof over the last 14 years. My stock value has outpaced my 401k. It's a situation that would never happen to you.......it would happen to other guy. I was in the right place at the right time. Our current plan is for my wife to work until she's 62 which means I will work until I'm 64. We expect to have our house paid for by the end of this year. Life is good!

Old 11-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #118
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WinCo Foods?

Is your wife CSRS or FERS?
Old 11-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #119
Dryer sheet aficionado

My hat is off to you folks who were able to make a career of the military. I enlisted right out of high school and got out as soon as my three years was up. I was in the infantry and surrounded by a bunch of degenerate criminals and didn't fit in well.
MatatuPuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:12 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

So I joined the Blue ID card club on 1 December. 100ish days on terminal leave was nice. Getting my first haircut since August tomorrow and haven't shaved since August 20. The hair is driving me nuts-keeping the beard though.

Received ridiculously good news from the VA on the 3rd with regards to a rating-and I haven't even completed all my exams. Although the exams I completed captured most of the things a 28+ year artilleryman with some deployments and most of a career on jump status would have, so I guess it isn't a huge surprise.

Spoke to the TSP yesterday via email. They are still waiting for the Army to tell them I'm done. They said it could take up to 60 days for that to happen. Slightly annoyed as I want to roll it into Fidelity, but oh well.

Went through the Tricare enrollment-apparently the USFHP with Martins Point is essentially Tricare Prime with a different name. I've already changed PCMs with them twice lol. The first one turns out wasn't accepting new patients, so I called a different one. Then I went and looked at bios and one of the other Docs was retired Army, airborne qualified, and had done a deployment with an airborne BCT that I also did a couple deployment with. He did the Iraq tour where they had 50+ KIA in the BCT and I did the two following Afghanistan tours. He'll either be a good doc or it will be one of those-take some motrin, change your socks, and drink water deals. At least we may have something to talk about.

Now I just need to find some land to buy. Sort of waiting until after 1 Jan so I don't have to take a capital gains hit this year when I move money for the purchase.

10 days into it, life is good so far. Not seeing any need to seek any future employment.