Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wow, memories. Thanks again to Nords, I used your advice on this forum before you wrote the book, and I've sent it to several family and friends in the military since. As I said ten years ago in my very first post, Nords is the man!

I fully retired 10 years ago after doing 26 years across two services. My plan is still working out and I'm on track to hopefully have as many retirement years as working years.

As for the OP, as others have said, file for VA benefits (you earned em and your not taking away from anyone else). Tricare is an option for retirees, I prefer Select over Prime because its your choice, not restricted by their PCP's referrals. And keep on putting some money in the Market, and if you can, do a spousal ROTH IRA.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 03:12 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gadget View Post
Wow, memories. Thanks again to Nords, I used your advice on this forum before you wrote the book, and I've sent it to several family and friends in the military since. As I said ten years ago in my very first post, Nords is the man!

I fully retired 10 years ago after doing 26 years across two services. My plan is still working out and I'm on track to hopefully have as many retirement years as working years.

As for the OP, as others have said, file for VA benefits (you earned em and your not taking away from anyone else). Tricare is an option for retirees, I prefer Select over Prime because its your choice, not restricted by their PCP's referrals. And keep on putting some money in the Market, and if you can, do a spousal ROTH IRA.
Sincerely hoping you get MORE than 26 GOOD years of retirement. And thanks for your service. Aloha

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:10 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gadget View Post
You're welcome, Mr. Gadget, I'm glad it's helping!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Thanks for the tags, everyone!

And, yeah. I wish I’d made the time to learn all of this stuff while I was in uniform.

As Rich says, please check your military base library or local public library for the books. These days you can borrow the eBook and audiobook editions as well as the print.

Well, you can borrow the audiobook version of Raising Your Money-Savvy Family but not (yet) the audiobook version of The Military Guide. I recorded the raw audio last month but now there’s a bunch of editing and publishing admin before it goes live.

FI, the root cause of your worries is paying attention to the news. The media is going to make inflation seem as scary as possible because that’s how they attract eyeballs and help their advertisers sell financial products.

Your personal inflation rate will be lower than the CPI. You know how to live lean if it’s absolutely necessary, but you won’t have to. I wouldn’t worry about inflation, and the best way to stop worrying is to stop paying attention to that news.

As a comparison, in my last 19 years of COLAs my pension has risen over 40%. Three of those years had zero COLAs in them. You might want to raise your projections on your COLAs a little, but you’ve already amply demonstrated that you’re FI for life.

Your estimate of Social Security benefits is also overwhelmingly too conservative. The apocalyptic projection is that around the early 2030s, SS will be reduced to 75% of your current estimate due to legislative gridlock.

The reality is that nothing’s been done yet because nothing has to be done yet. The fixes are clearly identified and well-publicized, but few of our elected representatives want to go on record now when they can save their votes for a later election year.

Nobody in Congress will pay any attention to this issue until about two weeks before the SSA has to reduce the payments. Check back on this in 2032 or 2034.

Nords,
Thanks for the in depth reply. I do truly appreciate the time for comments. I don't get on here much but just wanted to update on where I stand. Currently 807 days from terminal leave. I have hit my first 1M AFTER TAX! and still have about 180K left to save from pay. So I figure $1.2M minimum if I never invest another dollar. Anything over the 1M (plus what I sell current house for) mark goes to down payment on the retirement house. There will be a lot of gardening! Healthy and lower grocery bill. Plus hunting . I am lucky to be a military retiree and to find this site. I'll keep everyone updated...sporadically

Soon to be retired AF Major!!!
fisemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Wholly Smokes! A Nords sighting. Was thinking about you yesterday morning at 0345 as I dropped the kids off at Dulles for their flight to Hawaii. The reports of your early demise were premature. JK, no actually reports or rumors of your early demise. We know you are busy out there trying to help our military members and retirees. Thanks for what you do Nords. Always appreciate your words of wisdom.
+1, Nords!
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisemper View Post
Nords,
Thanks for the in depth reply. I do truly appreciate the time for comments. I don't get on here much but just wanted to update on where I stand. Currently 807 days from terminal leave. I have hit my first 1M AFTER TAX! and still have about 180K left to save from pay. So I figure $1.2M minimum if I never invest another dollar. Anything over the 1M (plus what I sell current house for) mark goes to down payment on the retirement house. There will be a lot of gardening! Healthy and lower grocery bill. Plus hunting . I am lucky to be a military retiree and to find this site. I'll keep everyone updated...sporadically

Soon to be retired AF Major!!!

"807 days from terminal leave??" Wow - it's going to seem like FOREVER if you're counting down now! I wouldn't recommend starting the countdown until six months before retirement - it'll go fairly quickly then.
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 08:34 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisemper View Post
Currently 807 days from terminal leave.

.... but who's counting?

are we going to see you in a fed job after a while?
grayv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

Congratulations! I retired from the Great Green Gun Club in 2004 and then from county Government in 2020. Besides the automatic colas provided by Uncle Sam via Military Retirement and SS, I have a portion of my nest egg invested in dividend paying stocks that have a track record of increasing their dividends over at least the last 20 years. I have been doing this since I was 30 …am 62 now… no complaints! I wish you all the best brother!
Theoldbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:16 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldbreed View Post
Congratulations! I retired from the Great Green Gun Club in 2004 and then from county Government in 2020. Besides the automatic colas provided by Uncle Sam via Military Retirement and SS, I have a portion of my nest egg invested in dividend paying stocks that have a track record of increasing their dividends over at least the last 20 years. I have been doing this since I was 30 …am 62 now… no complaints! I wish you all the best brother!
Is MO "Altria" one of those stocks?
G-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 09:02 AM   #30

Yes Altria
Old 04-17-2022, 09:05 AM   #31

Also XOM EPD KO NFG UTG
Old 04-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldbreed View Post
Yes Altria
The dividend has been fantastic over the years.
G-Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #33

Yes no complaints…about as close to automatic pilot as you can get!