Military Retirement Pay~“fully grandfathered,” think again

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I received this from MOAA today. Interesting take on how proposed changes in military retirement pay in the future (2018) will be partially financed by current retired members.

Some ask, “Why are you making a big deal about this, since it will be years and years before anyone retires under the new system, and it doesn’t affect anyone already serving or retired?”

For one thing, wrong is wrong. If these changes were being inflicted on today’s retirees, we’d say the reduced pay is not commensurate with their sacrifice. We don’t think future servicemembers’ sacrifices will be any less.

MOAA has no problems with a vesting provision, but the fact that the changes save billions even after adding this big new cost tells you this is a drill to save money at the expense of those who serve longest and sacrifice most.

All the talk about rising personnel costs is simply code for “We don’t think your service and sacrifice is worth what we’re paying you.” MOAA disagrees.

But what’s particularly wrong about this drill is it’s not just future retirees being made to foot the bill.

Because of the technicalities of congressional budgeting, the changes “scored” as having some relatively near-term costs.

And to solve that problem, Congress turned to … you.

The next time you pay more for your TRICARE-covered medications, you won’t have to wonder where the extra money went. It went to cover start-up costs for the new military retirement system that (mostly) grandfathered you.
- See more at: MOAA - Military Retirement Reform - and You

They will cut and tax military pensions, but will bend over backwards to give money to people that never spent a day doing anything productive in the USA.

As a disabled Vet, I think we should be getting at least as much as someone who has never served.

I haven't seen anything about Tricare meds costing more, but wouldn't be surprised.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

From what I've seen on prescriptions, if you do the 90 day mail order that hasn't gone up next year. But after that . . .

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Anyone who thinks any Fed benefit is sacrosanct isn't thinking too well.

Anyone who thinks any Fed benefit is sacrosanct isn't thinking too well.

I think I'm thinking quite well, and I would be willing to bet Congressional pensions and benefits are pretty safe.

There is no pension that is safe...

I have no problem with them changing the pension for future people who get to see what it is they are signing up for... I would not agree on changing it for people who are already in the service unless it was better than what it is now...

Remember, they have changed SS and will do so again...

There is no pension that is safe...

I have no problem with them changing the pension for future people who get to see what it is they are signing up for... I would not agree on changing it for people who are already in the service unless it was better than what it is now...

I'd argue that is okay to change the deal for those in the service, provided that every day they've already served is computed and paid (fairly) according to the system under which they signed up. Changes going forward are fair, they can choose to stay or go. But what they've earned is theirs. Of course, it gets a little tricky if the deal is crummy and a soldier decides to leave prior to getting 20 years . . .

I fully expect that in the future Congress will ask "why are we giving tax free money to all of those disabled vets?"

Oh you know it. Not just disabled. Everybody they've already gotten what they wanted out of. Today's "heroes" everybody goes around thanking for their service will be castigated and demeaned as as leeches. Evil gubmint workers who have pensions and sweet deal medical insurance which this country can no longer afford. And as soon as they start selling it the public will start buying it.
I'm keeping my head down. Yes, I am one of little faith.

(Note: I left out all the political stuff but whether you're for them or against them, we all know who they are.)

Same as folks working for any other organization where they were promised a pension.

It might share some aspects, but I don't know about it being "the same". Maybe there's a corporation with a 20 year service reqmt before vesting, but I don't know of it. Or some form of corporate employment in which the delayed compensation is such a large portion of the total compensation.

It might share some aspects, but I don't know about it being "the same". Maybe there's a corporation with a 20 year service reqmt before vesting, but I don't know of it. Or some form of corporate employment in which the delayed compensation is such a large portion of the total compensation.

Not only to mention that working for the military for 20+ years is quite a bit different than being a corporate lifer.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I'd argue that is okay to change the deal for those in the service, provided that every day they've already served is computed and paid (fairly) according to the system under which they signed up. Changes going forward are fair, they can choose to stay or go. But what they've earned is theirs. Of course, it gets a little tricky if the deal is crummy and a soldier decides to leave prior to getting 20 years . . .

I have not read what the proposal is, but I would bet that it is better for anybody who does not stay 20 years (at least that is what I remember on the news)....

I can see your point about changing it for everybody.... and letting them decide on which way to go... I have always had that thought when it was a private company.... heck, even gvmt plans.... but, the military was so far out on the vesting rules than anybody else that it might be different...

But, if you say to someone who has 19 years in the they will get 95% of what they would get at 20 years.... then sure...

Back
Top Bottom