Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #41

College for our kids is still ahead of us... although my 10th grade son took the PSAT this year (everyone at his school did - paid by the school) and now we're inundated with colleges "seeking him as a candidate". He then went on to choke on the mock SAT and mock ACT I signed him up for.... he'll be doing some studying this summer (thank you Kahn Academy for the SAT & ACT prep courses.)

I have no idea what to tell him. He's not a straight A student, despite my nagging at him. He gets A's in the classes that interest him (Chem, physics, math)... but not so much in the ones that don't.

We're following the advice above:
- Taking AP (and starting next year, IB) courses. This year he's in AP world history and AP computer science.
- Setting his expectations as to what we'll offer towards college (fixed amount per year, enough to graduate debt free from UC or CSU.)
- Told him there's no shame in Community College first.... and might be a better path if he wants to go to a UC school (path to transfer that guarantees acceptance if you follow it carefuly.)
- Told him we have veto power over the major. He knows our criteria is based on a job at the end.

Our niece has successfully done 2 degrees without a penny out of her pocket. Her BSN was covered as long as she did her student nursing at the hospital affiliated with the college and agreed to 2 years after graduation at that hospital. As the youngest of 5 kids - she knew this would alleviate financial stress from her parents. (They would have helped her - but delayed retirement to do so.) She graduated this past fall with her DNP - so now she's a "doctor nurse". Again - paid for by the hospital she works at... and they accomodated her by working her shifts around her school schedule. She did a lot of research before picking this program... and it's clearly paid off.

Another branch of the family has nieces that have degrees that qualify them to be clerks at the local grocery store and the local insurance office (doing filing/paperwork.) BIL would love for them to move out of his house - but they can't afford to.

I hope my sons follow the path of the first niece, not the second 2.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread is so off on many levels. I have two millennials, one graduated from a pricey private, got scholarship with 1/2 tuition off through NMF. Cost for 4 years was $120k. Plus my company gave her $8k scholarship for 4 years.
The other I paid $80k for 4 years, she also got scholarship but smaller one like $8k over 4 years at a UC, it's Regents scholar type. No debt necessary. On top of that she makes $20k each per summer through internship. So she could technically paid for it herself if her parents didn't. Still graduating within 4 years and already have 3 job offers making $100k plus stock grants. Both kids are smart but not super smart, not MIT nor Harvard type. In fact, one were waitlisted at MIT, the other was accepted at Wellesley. While we have the money to pay for both those schools, they picked the colleges that gave them money. Same with all my nephews and nieces. Kids from one brother are on set to make $200k plus a year even graduating from a low tiered UC, but it was free. They all became doctors and the final degree is what matters. They don't all study science either, one nephew had 3 majors, Japanese, literature, and biology. They can do it if they are interested in the subjects.
Nothing is stack against them.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I and all of my siblings went to the local university, as did my two children, and most of our nieces and nephews. It's close to home and the in-state tuition is more affordable. One niece and one nephew went out of state because they won a scholarship at the schools they wanted.

Not everybody had a STEM education, but nobody is unemployed, and all the jobs are related to the degrees. And speaking of school rankings, there are so many out there that who really knows what they mean. And as earlier posters said, perhaps being from a good school opens more doors at first, but after 5 years on the job, all people want to know is what one has done recently. Would you care about anything else? If you have not achieved much in your last job, they are not going to care about any degree you have from any prestigious school. Work performance is foremost.

Just now, I look up on the Web about my alma mater. They boast "#1 in the US for innovation" according to US News & World Report, "among top 10 for employability" according to some survey, "#1 producer of Fulbright scholars", "#1 chosen by international students", etc...

I don't know what all those claims mean, but they should not hurt. And the school is just a few miles from my home, at a location that I intentionally chose to buy years ago. It is still further from the school than my parents' former home though (they worked there as administrative staff). My kids had to go 10 miles, while I lived only 4 miles off campus. I did not have to live in a van while in school like that guy Ken Ilgunas, so had nothing to complain about.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just now, I look up on the Web about my alma mater. They boast "#1 in the US for innovation" [....]

I don't know what all those claims mean, ....
Here is what one of those claims means: ASU is No. 1 in innovation, but what does that actually mean? - The State Press
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I will read that later.

I now recall that a few years after I left school, someone told me ASU had been called the "#1 party school". Probably got that vote from the students themselves. Darn, I totally missed out while I was in school. Hard to party when one worked 10-hr factory shifts each on Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday was just for resting and homework.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

When I was in graduate school, things got better when I got a part-time job at an aerospace megacorp. It was a real engineering job with an engineer's pay grade because I already had my BSEE.

Heck, I could even afford a custom-tailored suit for my wedding.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #47
Administrator

I really did study nuclear science.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

So, were you a "peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes" too?

I did not wear shades (still don't), but I used to wear pocket protectors. Yep. The Credit Union used to give them out. And in the mid-70s, engineering students wore a calculator pouch on their belt. A thief stole my SR-51 II, else I would still have it.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, were you a "peeping-tom techie with x-ray eyes" too?

I did not wear shades (still don't), but I used to wear pocket protectors. Yep. The Credit Union used to give them out. And in the mid-70s, engineering students wore a calculator pouch on their belt. A thief stole my SR-51 II, else I would still have it.

In 1971 I was, very briefly, an engineering student. With a slide rule.

In the physics lab they had TI calculators that wouldn't cost $5 now, attached to the lab benches with 3/4" cable, so they wouldn't "disappear".
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, more millennial whining. Call the waaaambulance?

I think that in some ways things are more challenging and in other ways they are a lot easier. The obvious one is college cost escalation. Clearly it is more challenging to navigate your way through without crippling debt at the end, but as previous responses to the thread have shown, there are a bunch of ways around the issue. For a lot of kids, their parents really need to step into their grown-up pants and enforce ROI considerations.

My own kids will likely split two ways. DD1 is highly academic, straight-A student, and a bit of a toil when it comes to school work. She will probably end up at a highly competitive school and I will have to figure out how to pay for it. DD2 is not a model student, to put it mildly. We will be looking for a program for her that appeals to her interest and has an obvious career option attached to it. Bang for the buck will definitely be a consideration.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I found this comic to be rather humorous given this thread

Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Millennials-Advice to break through the road blocks of high cost of education
Old 02-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #52

Millennials-Advice to break through the road blocks of high cost of education

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
We're following the advice above:

- Taking AP (and starting next year, IB) courses. This year he's in AP world history and AP computer science.

- Setting his expectations as to what we'll offer towards college (fixed amount per year, enough to graduate debt free from UC or CSU.)

- Told him there's no shame in Community College first.... and might be a better path if he wants to go to a UC school (path to transfer that guarantees acceptance if you follow it carefuly.)

- Told him we have veto power over the major. He knows our criteria is based on a job at the end.

This is what we've told our kids. DS dropped the idea of out of state and is going to one of the in-state public universities. Solely based on cost. We're providing a full ride for in-state and anything more he'd have to pay. Not worth it for him (his choice). He's already accepted at one, waiting to hear from the other. DS will have about 25-30 credits completed by taking AP classes (about 2/3 of his freshman year). He also wants a comp sci degree, so we're good on the job prospects.

We have two more years for DD. Right now she's leaning towards the top in-state public university. Not sure if she'll get in as a freshman, but if not, she says she'll probably go to a community college and transfer in. I need to do a bit more research, but the university accepts transfer students with 40 or more credits (as a sophomore). DD is also planning on taking AP classes. If she is motivated, she could probably do a couple of quarters at a community college and along with AP credits, transfer to the in-state university. Easy stuff. She's also planning on a STEM degree, but we'll see how that pans out. What she does know is that she wants a degree so she can "make bank." That's her lingo. Teenagers are fun.

None of this is break the bank. If they live at home (which they won't), it'd be about 12k/year. Excluding scholarships, etc.

And as for Millennials, they have it more together than I did at their age. Same for their friends. Good for them.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I know we're "hell bent" in this country to achieve the dream of college education, but what's wrong with learning a trade? Mike Rowe has a foundation that helps our young people attain such experience. About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I know we're "hell bent" in this country to achieve the dream of college education, but what's wrong with learning a trade? Mike Rowe has a foundation that helps our young people attain such experience. About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected

Absolutely nothing is wrong with learning a trade. We need people to do those jobs as much as we need doctors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
I found this comic to be rather humorous given this thread

This is great! Thanks for sharing.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky-Sperm-Club View Post

I suppose I'm just upset that my assets were fully exposed, and I have to pay full boat where as many earning the same or more then I will get close to free rides, through "institutional" grants and other easy financing options.
I don't think the idea of those who save being penalized vs those who squander being rewarded is limited to the educational system.

I read somewhere: "Life isn't fair. Your job is to figure out where it's not fair in your favor and go there"
Old 02-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

That is on the money.

Another, that I recall from my 20's and occasionally lived, is "the truth is, that life is hard and dangerous." (Joyce Cary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

I read somewhere: "Life isn't fair. Your job is to figure out where it's not fair in your favor and go there"
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:34 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Some of the wealthiest people in our section of the county, were plumbers or construction people who started their own businesses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Some of the wealthiest people in our section of the county, were plumbers or construction people who started their own businesses.
Sounds like normal people. Hmm...you could almost call them the millionaire next door.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sounds like normal people. Hmm...you could almost call them the millionaire next door.
+1

I recently learned that one of my best friends from high school is getting ready to retire and move to his dream location somewhere in the Pacific Northwest. He didn't go to college and has been working steadily as an electrician for the past 25-odd years, and now he has a very nice pension available to him. And he's not even 50 years old yet. Not exactly like TMND, but I'm sure he must be feeling very financially secure nonetheless.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

Interesting overview of the staying power of education debt:

Quote:
College debt is not necessarily something people shed in middle age. According to the U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the number of those 60 or older with student loan debt grew from about 700,000 to 2.8 million from 2005 to 2015. Their total bill is $66.7 billion.

Tags
college bills, millennials