Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #21
gone traveling

My "millennial" daughter just got married on Saturday (25 Y.O.), has a new Honda Civic, and has owned her own place for 3 years now. She works as a C.A.D. operator in a large petroleum company, now making more $$ than I do. Hopefully she produces some grandchildren that we can spoil.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

None of my kids are millennials as they are 39-46. They have no interest in owning a home or having kids. They spend their money on travel. My 2 stepsons are millennials and much more traditional. One bought his first home at 18 during the housing crisis.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:03 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...act=mrc&uact=8 What the zombies really look like.
I worry that a third of the millennials will die off from drug overdoses etc. The ones I know are simply trying to live with as little work as possible off the system that pays into social security thinking they will never grow old or need medical attention.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Millennials - Every time I read an article about them a phrase comes to mind: "Generally speaking, all generalizations are true". :-)
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Demographics is an often under appreciated force driving the economy. For a detailed analysis of the relationship between demographics and economic activity, see Bill McBride's Calculated Risk blog.

Specifically, see this post: https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2...r-cohorts.html

The takeaway: prime working age adult numbers are growing, and the baby boomer numbers are shrinking, which is positive for the economy.
schenbew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #26

Let me suggest that before this thread becomes another "let's blame the millennials for everything", it would be helpful to remember who raised them. If you believe those millennial stereotypes to be true, that makes Boomers the worst generation of parents in history.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Let me suggest that before this thread becomes another "let's blame the millennials for everything", it would be helpful to remember who raised them. If you believe those millennial stereotypes to be true, that makes Boomers the worst generation of parents in history.

Touche! I as a "Generation Jones"/ trailing edge Boomer heard the same gastro-headed BS from those I refer to as The Greediest Generation. The WWII crowd. They wanted all the credit but none of the responsibility for the shape of the world. Don't blame the parents but parents are the first ones with their hands out taking credit for junior when they have something to take credit for. If Junior doesn't reflect well? Blame the kids. I can just hear some group of grouchy cavemen having this same conversation.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Exactly. I'm Gen X, but work with a ton of these scapegoats and have been nothing but impressed by most that I meet. What is it about aging that makes people so grumpy towards young people?

I mean, boomers, when they were late teens/early 20, were all doing drugs in fields, listening to bands, making free love, not showering, not working, spitting on returning Vietnam Vets, and damn sure not doing anything like paying into SS. AMIRITE?
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
What is it about aging that makes people so grumpy towards young people?

Jealousy?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #30

Quote:
I mean, boomers, when they were late teens/early 20, were all doing drugs in fields, listening to bands, making free love, not showering, not working, spitting on returning Vietnam Vets, and damn sure not doing anything like paying into SS. AMIRITE?
Stereotyping much?
Old 10-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Let's not start blaming the Boomers now...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Exactly. I'm Gen X, but work with a ton of these scapegoats and have been nothing but impressed by most that I meet. What is it about aging that makes people so grumpy towards young people?

Yes, yes, yes, no, no, hell no, no...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Yes, yes, yes, no, no, hell no, no...
+1 although I agree with the first paragraph.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Everytime I see companies like SpaceX do something that the old-line companies never tried because it was impossible, not worth the effort, a waste of time, they just never thought of it, etc...... I get a warm feeling in my hear about the younger generations. Good for them!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:14 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Everytime I see companies like SpaceX do something that the old-line companies never tried because it was impossible, not worth the effort, a waste of time, they just never thought of it, etc...... I get a warm feeling in my hear about the younger generations. Good for them!
+1
SunBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, yes (MJ, but not in fields), yes, no, no, really no (Vet here), no.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
+1
Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #38

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on ye sholders of giants." Isaac Newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1

When my daughters were in graduate schools, they and their peers presented the results of their research projects. Impressive seems too small an adjective to describe the depth, rigor and professionalism of their work.

Of course, the real credit goes to their proud papa, whose tireless parenting molded them into the marvels they are today! (Oh yeah, and their mama might deserve a smidgen as well. )

I'm mystified by the bits of inter-generational competition sprinkled through this thread. Surely we should be delighted when our children exceed our own accomplishments.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
+1

When my daughters were in graduate schools, they and their peers presented the results of their research projects. Impressive seems too small an adjective to describe the depth, rigor and professionalism of their work.

Of course, the real credit goes to their proud papa, whose tireless parenting molded them into the marvels they are today! (Oh yeah, and their mama might deserve a smidgen as well. )

I'm mystified by the bits of inter-generational competition sprinkled through this thread. Surely we should be delighted when our children exceed our own accomplishments.
++1
SunBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #40

Indeed. No point in trying to fight demographics. Thanks for the link.
The OP article just seems like common sense. Millennials are now at the age were they want a house. Maybe the economy is looking better and they don't think they'll be forced to move to find work over the next 10 years. It really makes no sense to buy a house instead of rent when your employment is always shaky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schenbew View Post
Demographics is an often under appreciated force driving the economy. For a detailed analysis of the relationship between demographics and economic activity, see Bill McBride's Calculated Risk blog.

Specifically, see this post: https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2...r-cohorts.html

The takeaway: prime working age adult numbers are growing, and the baby boomer numbers are shrinking, which is positive for the economy.