Millennials will prioritize "necessity spending"

Let me suggest that before this thread becomes another "let's blame the millennials for everything", it would be helpful to remember who raised them. If you believe those millennial stereotypes to be true, that makes Boomers the worst generation of parents in history.

Let me suggest that before this thread becomes another "let's blame the millennials for everything", it would be helpful to remember who raised them. If you believe those millennial stereotypes to be true, that makes Boomers the worst generation of parents in history.

Touche! I as a "Generation Jones"/ trailing edge Boomer heard the same gastro-headed BS from those I refer to as The Greediest Generation. The WWII crowd. They wanted all the credit but none of the responsibility for the shape of the world. Don't blame the parents but parents are the first ones with their hands out taking credit for junior when they have something to take credit for. If Junior doesn't reflect well? Blame the kids. I can just hear some group of grouchy cavemen having this same conversation.

Exactly. I'm Gen X, but work with a ton of these scapegoats and have been nothing but impressed by most that I meet. What is it about aging that makes people so grumpy towards young people?

I mean, boomers, when they were late teens/early 20, were all doing drugs in fields, listening to bands, making free love, not showering, not working, spitting on returning Vietnam Vets, and damn sure not doing anything like paying into SS. AMIRITE?

I mean, boomers, when they were late teens/early 20, were all doing drugs in fields, listening to bands, making free love, not showering, not working, spitting on returning Vietnam Vets, and damn sure not doing anything like paying into SS. AMIRITE?

Stereotyping much? ;)

Let's not start blaming the Boomers now...

Exactly. I'm Gen X, but work with a ton of these scapegoats and have been nothing but impressed by most that I meet. What is it about aging that makes people so grumpy towards young people?

Yes, yes, yes, no, no, hell no, no...

Yes, yes, yes, no, no, hell no, no...
+1 although I agree with the first paragraph.

Everytime I see companies like SpaceX do something that the old-line companies never tried because it was impossible, not worth the effort, a waste of time, they just never thought of it, etc...... I get a warm feeling in my hear about the younger generations. Good for them!

Everytime I see companies like SpaceX do something that the old-line companies never tried because it was impossible, not worth the effort, a waste of time, they just never thought of it, etc...... I get a warm feeling in my hear about the younger generations. Good for them!

+1

Well, yes (MJ, but not in fields), yes, no, no, really no (Vet here), no.

+1

"If I have seen further, it is by standing on ye sholders of giants." Isaac Newton

+1

When my daughters were in graduate schools, they and their peers presented the results of their research projects. Impressive seems too small an adjective to describe the depth, rigor and professionalism of their work.

Of course, the real credit goes to their proud papa, whose tireless parenting molded them into the marvels they are today! (Oh yeah, and their mama might deserve a smidgen as well. :D)

I'm mystified by the bits of inter-generational competition sprinkled through this thread. Surely we should be delighted when our children exceed our own accomplishments.

+1

When my daughters were in graduate schools, they and their peers presented the results of their research projects. Impressive seems too small an adjective to describe the depth, rigor and professionalism of their work.

Of course, the real credit goes to their proud papa, whose tireless parenting molded them into the marvels they are today! (Oh yeah, and their mama might deserve a smidgen as well. :D)

I'm mystified by the bits of inter-generational competition sprinkled through this thread. Surely we should be delighted when our children exceed our own accomplishments.

++1

Indeed. No point in trying to fight demographics. Thanks for the link.
The OP article just seems like common sense. Millennials are now at the age were they want a house. Maybe the economy is looking better and they don't think they'll be forced to move to find work over the next 10 years. It really makes no sense to buy a house instead of rent when your employment is always shaky.
Demographics is an often under appreciated force driving the economy. For a detailed analysis of the relationship between demographics and economic activity, see Bill McBride's Calculated Risk blog.

Specifically, see this post: https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2019/06/us-demographics-largest-5-year-cohorts.html

The takeaway: prime working age adult numbers are growing, and the baby boomer numbers are shrinking, which is positive for the economy.

+1 although I agree with the first paragraph.

I spent my last seven years of gainful employment working with grad/doctorate candidates. Plenty smart, and they worked (some would say “hazed”) like borrowed mules...

Kids!
You can talk and talk till your face is blue!
Kids!
But they still just do what they want to do!
Why can't they be like we were
Perfect in every way?
What's the matter with kids today?

That's an oldie but a goodie!

No. I'm 61 and never touched a cigarette, but I did take a couple of tokes on a "lefthanded" cigarette once. It didn't interest me or the guys/girls I hung with. The recession of 76-80 was pretty rough on people here in Steeltown, but this Eagle Scout swore he'd NEVER be in that predicament. Some of my classmates lost brothers in Nam, and would never ridicule any of those who returned.

Back
Top Bottom