"Millionaire Next Door" Author Thomas Stanley Killed

ExFlyBoy5

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I didn't see that this was posted as of yet, but Mr. Stanley was killed Saturday in an auto accident. His book series was one of the motivators for me to retire early...VERY early. To add insult to injury, he lived less than 15 minutes from me. I had no idea he was a "Georgia Boy". :(

My thoughts go out to his family.

East Cobb "Millionaire" Author Dies in Crash - East Cobber

Last edited:
That is very sad news. I was a big fan of his books and blog.

At least he lived a long life... but sad to hear he is gone.

Very sad. 71 is not old at all. No good way to die, but to die in such a senseless manner seems all the more tragic. I loved his book.

Very sad, especially that it appears he was killed by someone in too big a hurry to follow traffic laws - or good sense.

He leaves a wonderful legacy in his books, and judging by the article, his family.

Thanks for posting - I haven't seen this anywhere else.

Very sad, especially that it appears he was killed by someone in too big a hurry to follow traffic laws - or good sense.

He leaves a wonderful legacy in his books, and judging by the article, his family.

Thanks for posting - I haven't seen this anywhere else.

The road he died on has a history of people being killed because of stupid drivers. That entire area is made up of million dollar homes and VERY large egos (as a matter of fact, this area is called East Cobb and many folks call it "East Snobb"). The speed limit is 35 with NO passing zones (due to multiple curves and VERY short sight distances), but I often have people pass me in 100K+ cars while I average 10-15 MPH *over* the speed limit. The guy who hit him was about 2 miles from his home and Mr. Stanley was also about 2.5 miles from home.

The road he died on has a history of people being killed because of stupid drivers. That entire area is made up of million dollar homes and VERY large egos (as a matter of fact, this area is called East Cobb and many folks call it "East Snobb"). The speed limit is 35 with NO passing zones (due to multiple curves and VERY short sight distances), but I often have people pass me in 100K+ cars while I average 10-15 MPH *over* the speed limit. The guy who hit him was about 2 miles from his home and Mr. Stanley was also about 2.5 miles from home.

That is crazy stuff.

Oh, no.

"The Millionaire Next Door" is a favorite of mine, he had an impact on his readers. Very sad news.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I wonder if the fact that he was in a sports car (Corvette) vs. the other driver in an SUV had anything to do with it.

I wonder if the fact that he was in a sports car (Corvette) vs. the other driver in an SUV had anything to do with it.

I really don't think so...sounds like the SUV driver was not paying attention or following too close and when the corvette slowed to turn left the SUV could not stop in time and went around the corvette...on the (left) wrong side.

I really don't think so...sounds like the SUV driver was not paying attention or following too close and when the corvette slowed to turn left the SUV could not stop in time and went around the corvette...on the (left) wrong side.
It sounds like the types of vehicles likely had a lot to do with the outcome. Heavy SUV plows into a light Corvette hitting the driver's side--not much "crumple zone" there, and the physics of the situation indicate the Corvette would be subject to much higher accelerations. And the body is fiberglass, which is very strong in some directions, but can be weak in others and does not have a "graceful" failure mode . . .

If Mr Stanley had been in a heavier vehicle (less acceleration for him) and if he'd had more structure between himself and the front end of the other car, perhaps things would have turned out better for him.

Very sorry for him, and I hope justice is done if reckless driving is found to be the cause of this death.

Last edited:
How sad. One of the few books that I've bought, keep on my book shelf and go back and reread on occasion.
May he RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sad to hear, I heard Dave Ramsey comment today on heart radio that everyone should buy the book to show his family how much we appreciate it.

I was surprised to read about the Corvette, based on the writings in his blog:

Car Buying from The Millionaire Next Door

"My wife drives a Z71 Chevrolet Tahoe that sits next to my Toyota 4 Runner..... The Tahoe is very reliable, big, heavy and protective."

That surprised me as well. When I realized exactly where he lived I was taken a little by surprise because of the high dollar homes there. But...if I had a net worth that Stanley had, I'd be over there too. In my opinion, it's the BEST area in all of Atlanta...and I'd guess that's why he lived there.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

How sad. One of the few books that I've bought, keep on my book shelf and go back and reread on occasion.
May he RIP.

I think I have all his books and reread them as well. He had one section in The Millionaire Mind about the advantages of going into a niche field with low competition that I reread often.

Inspired me to shoot for early retirement

Coined many useful phrases like "big hat no cattle". and accumulators of wealth and perpetual under accumulators of wealth

Too bad indeed

Sad news. The Millionaire Next Door is/was one of five books that most influenced the course of my life.

Last edited:
RIP Mr. Stanley. His book helped spur me towards getting more serious about saving, investing, and frugality for FI.

His book changed my life. Thank you Thomas Stanley. Rest in peace.

Inspired me to shoot for early retirement

Coined many useful phrases like "big hat no cattle". and accumulators of wealth and perpetual under accumulators of wealth

Too bad indeed
Native Texans will tell you the phrase can be traced back to the 1940's, and it's been used in the media hundreds of times before Stanley. And it originated from similar sayings from other countries that go back many generations. e.g. 'all mouth and no trousers', 'fur coat and no knickers', and many others...

Last edited:
Native Texans will tell you the phrase can be traced back to the 1940's, and it's been used in the media hundreds of times before Stanley.

Doesn't matter. His book was the first time I had heard it... and I have used it several times since then.

Back
Top Bottom