Join Early Retirement Today

Millions in Self-Directed Roth IRA?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Millions in Self-Directed Roth IRA?

Self help - The Daily

I am missing something in this article, I thought that there were strict limits (around $5000) on yearly contributions to a Roth IRA? How are these individuals able to get millions of dollars in it?
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
Self help - The Daily

I am missing something in this article, I thought that there were strict limits (around $5000) on yearly contributions to a Roth IRA? How are these individuals able to get millions of dollars in it?
I think your answer was in the article, though mentioned somewhat in passing.
Quote:
U.S. citizens can contribute up to $5,000 of after-tax money to a Roth IRA with the advantage of paying no taxes on gains thereafter, though contributions are limited and eventually capped for those earning more than $107,000 a year. Investors can also roll over 401(k) funds into their Roth accounts.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did a little research on SDIRAs a couple years ago. There are many complex rules about them, and the opportunity to "goof up" and end up in a legal mess is quite high IMO. They are suitable for those with enough money to pay a trustee to watch every detail about them, hire lawyers to help structure them, and have a specific business purpose for which they exist. I don't have that big of a balance, and the risks outweighed the benefits for me.

Self-Directed IRA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If someone converted a Traditional/Rollover IRA to a ROTH, they could have a high dollar value.
KiraC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

Looks like the high IRA values come from gains. Anyone can do the same, provided you have a great crystal ball and put your IRA funds into the right stock at the right time.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My impression of these situations is that there is significant insider trading and information involved. Obviously nobody working under normal conditions could accumulate millions in an account limited to a $5K yearly contribution. But if you can manage 1000% returns on special deals, you can build it up pretty fast. The only people who manage this are big name entrepreneurs, financial whizzes, and presidential candidates. I'll be happy if I end up with a couple hundred K in mine. Actually, if I can live another 30 or 40 years I might be able to pass the million mark, but then those folk will be in the billions. Que sera, sera. At least I'm retired.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraC View Post
If someone converted a Traditional/Rollover IRA to a ROTH, they could have a high dollar value.
Two blue collar working families that I know of have over half a million each. Their work made them late to the 401K party, too.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

The max yearly SEP IRA contribution is, I think, $50,000. Contribute that for a few decades, get decent returns, convert to a Roth, and you're looking at several million in a Roth IRA.
sunsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have about $350K in IRAs/401(k)s and I am not quite 40. Without any extra-ordinary gains I could have "millions" in an IRA in a couple decades. Maybe sooner.
Sesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

I think the key here, or at least one of them, is the term "self directed". The rules around these are quite different.