Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

It has been 7 months for me and yes, I'm thinking about part-time work spring 2012. Substitute teaching one or two days a week or some such thing. In the meanwhile, I'm pretty busy with volunteering and associated classes. I may change my mind and never return to any paying job.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hmmmm....I'm not ER'd yet. Pretty much able to call myself FI, just missing the other two letters. I've got a year and four months until my agreement ends, and a lower pace, lower stress transition was to begin. Now, I'm not so sure. My boss was of course aware of the plan to finish up late next year, but he asked me to stay in some way, shape or form beyond that. This was to be the transition period of a year or three. Now, he's asking if I would not consider to stay in place a while longer...and, at the same time, I've been worried about boredom. I think I'm getting a case of the "one-more-year syndrome". So yes, for me boredom is a bit of a worry, but at the same time I also worry about the economy, my employees, etc, etc, so it's not just about being bored or just about padding the accounts. It's a combination of things.

I've been pretty busy with a few irons in the fire for the past few weeks and haven't been around these parts lately. If y'all don't see me around much for awhile, that's the reason. Haven't given up on ER, just busy getting there.

R
Old 09-06-2011, 11:34 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I understand, Rambler. I will be looking forward to your posts, when you have the time to join us here. Sometimes there are a few bumps in the road on the way to ER, but the time will pass quickly and you will get there.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #24

I've been ER'd for 11 months and after 6 months decided I wanted to do something combining my w*rk experience with the nonprofit sector. So I've started a consultancy to provide strategic technology planning guidance to nonprofits. Definitely part-time - two days a week at most is my plan. Intent is to help fund our charitable contributions at pre-ER levels as well as my new golf habit (although if I don't get a decent swing here soon that may not be much of a habit).
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired three months in Singapore and subbing at several international schools. It keeps me busy two or three days a week. No grading necessary. No meetings!
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #26

It is likely I keep a part time job after I FIRE, on top of my volunteering activities.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am semi retired and work 18 hours a week which is about 4 half days. I started there full time and we both agreed to the reduction in hours during the past 5 years. I do computer programming so it keeps my mind alert. I have flexible hours and can work from home and it pays my health insurance.

I am getting to the point that I just don't want to do it any more. I am thinking of full retirement within the next year.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:57 PM   #28

I retired April 1st of this year. So far I have not even thought about w**king at all. Actually I'm busier than I thought I would be. Each day seems to be filled with things to do. I went three months before I even talked with anyone that I left behind where I worked. I went 4 months before I talked with my replacement. We met at a fishing tournament and the conversation eventually got around to "the job". My position is that no matter what is going on where I w**ked, it's none of my business so I am not really concerned about it. Been there, done that and now I certainly don't want to stick my nose back into it. I don't miss working at all and whenever I talked to my old w**king buddies, it reinforced my decision to leave it behind.
I would not like to "stay in the game" because I'm no longer associated with the players or the game itself. I have moved on.
This freedom thing is very underrated.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
I am getting to the point that I just don't want to do it any more. I am thinking of full retirement within the next year.
Sounds like you're getting pretty chummy with management. Maybe they'd prefer doubling your salary and making your working life more interesting, to losing you. Time to challenge them a little?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:53 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I worked part-time at my old job for 7 years before I ERed 3 years ago. In those 7 years, I had 3 different part-time work arrangements. The first was a mostly work-from-home deal in which I went to my office one day a week for about 6.5 hours and worked from home the rest of the time. That lasted for just over 2 years until the company ended such open-ended arrangements. I knew at the time that this would be my eventual undoing.

The next deal, after the work-from-home gig ended, was that I had to report to the office to fulfill the same 20 hours I had been doing before. I went to the office 3 days a week and I hated every minute of it. I did that for about 3.5 years. Juggling my nonwork life with the awful commute was becoming more and more difficult as I was feeling like I was already retired, or at least semi-retired.

But it was the third deal which I knew would likely lead to my ER. I cut my weekly hours from 20 to 12. That took me down to 2 days a week and 6 hours a day. [I had to forgo eligibility in my company's group health plan so I went on COBRA which lasted me 18 months.] At that point, my minimal work had become a nuisance interfering my a somewhat freer nonwork schedule with the extra day off compared to before. That deal lasted for 17 months before I had had enough of working altogether. Also, the value of my company stock holding, the only thing really keeping me there, had grown to the point I needed it to be so I could actually ER. The other pieces had fallen into place in those 17 months, too.

The one thing I did not want was to be working and still have to go out and buy my own health insurance. COBRA was okay because it was far less expensive than buying my own. I tried to convince my employer to let me remain eligible for it even if I paid 100% of the premiums, but they balked at it. If they wanted any chance of keeping me around a little longer, I told them in my exit interview, they had to let me remain enrolled in the plan (or stay on COBRA) even at 100% of the premiums.

Things worked out just fine. I left nearly 3 years ago and never felt better!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #31

Retired in December 2007 but kept getting called back on a consulting basis through last spring (virtually done now). The cash flow helped avoid having to draw retirement resources during the last downturn. I was lucky to be able to pick and choose assignments so I could avoid getting dragged into the abyss of my former job. This work is nearly at a permanent end now which is good. Even picking the assignments was awkward as the CFO is a close friend and it is hard to turn down friends that need something.

Now I am pretty busy with the TaxAide program. Starting my fourth year, this has become nearly a part-time job managing two sites and doing technical support for 10 sites. The heavy lifting is in winter when I generally have more time since outdoor activities decline.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:37 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwanRPark View Post
Technically retired yes - but in a situation with immense potential - Life is looking very good.
Welcome Ewan. Why don't you post an introduction in the "Hi, I am" forum?

Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #33

Ive been retired since 2007. Yesterday I made $5 in the golf club skin game, does that count? I'm pretty sure I'm down for the year though, I need to put more work into making more birdies.

Other than that, NO.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #34

Every time I think about working and earning a few extra bucks, I remember I'd have to work and that is pretty much the end of it. I'd take a job if it was the right fit. Enjoyable, comes with perks, flexible, etc., but otherwise no thanks.

Like Nords, I'm working on a book or three and I'd rather do that and develop some kind of passive income. I'm my own boss, I set my own hours, I work when I feel like, plus I enjoy writing. I'd do it anyway. That's the nice part about being retired. I can take chances trying to write a book and make a little money without worrying about supporting myself. If I fail, I fail and I had fun doing it.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:29 AM   #35

I have several ideas when I FIRE in about 12 months. Landlording, writing finance articles, and possibly start a web blog. Still researching a few things, but the idea is no more than 20 hours/week with something I really enjoy and no demanding bosses!
Finance Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I do a little part-time w*rk now, but in a completely different area from my career. I was in a technical field for 25 years; I now teach knitting classes 2-3 times per week.
ksr - that sounds great! Do you teach at a local yarn shop or elsewhere?

I have a consulting contract at my old job (which I mostly did like) though in over 4 months, I've put in a total of about 11 hours. It's just here or there, whenever they need my expertise. Totally works for me, and it's good for pocket change!

I also volunteer at PetSmart 3 hours on Tuesday mornings with the cats. I like that gig. I'm not opposed to a part time job if the right opportunity presented itself, but like many others, knowing that I don't have to makes it all OK.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
ksr - that sounds great! Do you teach at a local yarn shop or elsewhere?
Yes, I'm teaching at a local yarn store and it has worked out very nicely. The owner has been great about letting me choose my schedule and classes, and I really enjoy doing it. I started by teaching one class a week while still w*rking full-time, then ramped it up to 2-3 classes per week once I ERed.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I would like to go back to my college part-time job - window washer at a female only gym.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Sounds like you're getting pretty chummy with management. Maybe they'd prefer doubling your salary and making your working life more interesting, to losing you. Time to challenge them a little?
It has been a pretty flexible arrangement over the past 8 years but business is not good since the recession and benefits are being cut. The owner is trying to hang on to his lavish life style which was supported by the business when times were very good. Good people are leaving every couple of months.
I don't think that rational decisions are being made by the owner.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

After 30 years being solo medical practitioner, and that after two residency programs. when I plan to quit next year, I do not have any intention of going back to medicine. I realized that there are a lot of things I plan to do in what is left of my relatively healthy life, and working just will inhibit me from doing most of it. Working part time will pull me to full time! There's a lot of liabilties, lots of bureaucracy and stress. I'll be FI, live frugally and enjoy whatever I save. I may have to compromise or economize a bit, but with what' going on in medicine nowadays, I consider myself blessed being able to walk away from it with my mind and body intact.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote