Minor question about IRMAA rates

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

I know generally about IRMAA.

From googling, I read that the income brackets for IRMAA will be adjusted for inflation.

From googling, I see that the rates charged each year go up by some amount.

Although IRMAA starts to be a consideration around age 63, at the moment I'm just interested in trying to assess it's impact on my post-70.5 taxes.

I've already programmed in the current rates and brackets, and inflated the brackets by inflation.

What would you suggest as a rate by which the premiums themselves go up?

So for example, the 2018 standard premium was $134; in 2019 this number went to $135.50, an increase of $1.50. How much does that premium number go up on a long-term historical basis?

It made it worse. The IRMAA premium for me amounts to about a 4.57% adder to my marginal rate at age 70.

Thanks! I'm only 50, so I'm trying to project 20 years of increases.
Many more years than that, if you're lucky.

Medicare is heavily subsidized. One scenario I keep in mind is the erosion of that subsidy. In addition to health care inflation, subsidy removal would increase the cost by 3x (not counting IRMAA). While I don't think that is a high probability scenario, I do think it's realistic to figure some decrease in subsidy over the long term.

Many more years than that, if you're lucky.

Medicare is heavily subsidized. One scenario I keep in mind is the erosion of that subsidy. In addition to health care inflation, subsidy removal would increase the cost by 3x (not counting IRMAA). While I don't think that is a high probability scenario, I do think it's realistic to figure some decrease in subsidy over the long term.

I do hope to live past 70, but right now what I'm mainly looking at is what my marginal tax rate will be at that age compared to what it is this year. My simplistic formula is to Roth convert up to that marginal-rate-at-70.

I have no idea what will happen to any subsidies.

Back
Top Bottom