Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

minus 3.1% ouch! Dow teeters on 10K
Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

minus 3.1% ouch! Dow teeters on 10K

oh baby, am I glad I go out on Jan 20 at the top! S&P is off 9.25% since that time. Something was a sayin to me...this market is going to unravel. I am 100% in short term bonds and that is where I am staying, no high yield, no stocks, period. Thank god I decided against the high yield portfolio or going back into the market.
floatingdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for rubbing salt into my wounds.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

On October 31, 2007, something gnawed at me to get the hell out of stocks with the Dow around 14,000.

I didn't and got creamed.

Fortunately I didn't sell near the low and I did rebalance fairly close to the low, so I gained back all but about 15% of my high watermark in October '07.

It's gnawing at me again. And this time, I at least partially heeded the call. I got most of what I lost back in the recent rally, and for now that's good enough for me given the headwinds I see. I could be wrong, but I'd rather be wrong this way than wrong in the way I was for not taking action in '07.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hey, after such a tremendous rally we need a healthy 10% correction so that we can "move on".

A lot of hot money has chased commodities, and with the US$ rising in value a bunch of the carry trades (where people borrow in a low interest, declining currency and chase hot investments) are being unwound. This causes the better performing assets to decline.

Just let these sellers get out of here, and then maybe things will settle down (for a while, anyway).

For folks concerned about imminent inflation - well, if you see the huge commodity price drops you probably realize it's not likely to happen this year.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingdoc View Post
oh baby, am I glad I go out on Jan 20 at the top! S&P is off 11% since that time. Something was a sayin to me...this market is going to unravel. I am 100% in short term bonds and that is where I am staying, no high yield, no stocks, period. Thank god I decided against the high yield portfolio or going back into the market.
I see the S&P down around 7.5% from the 1/19 close of 1150. Not good, but not as bad as your number. 10% corrections are common.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I see the S&P down around 7.5% from the 1/19 close of 1150. Not good, but not as bad as your number. 10% corrections are common.
I think this could be a garden variety healthy correction off of a rally IF the jobs picture starts improving. If the "jobless recovery" continues I don't think it will be a recovery for too many months longer.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Not yet, but 'tis time to eye equities that you are kicking yourself for passing up when they were cheap. I have always liked GE, MMM, JNJ, and Pepsi but haven't researched them for about a year.

Anyone want to toss out their own 'should-a bought' list?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Oh goody - looks like time to think about investing the pocket change we have left after loss harvesting our GM stock!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Not yet, but 'tis time to eye equities that you are kicking yourself for passing up when they were cheap. I have always liked GE, MMM, JNJ, and Pepsi but haven't researched them for about a year.
If I were still an investor in individual stocks, I would generally be leaning toward the dividend stocks with a strong history of steady earnings and dividend growth. To the extent one can wring some of the risk out of stocks, I think that could do it.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

After 2008-2009, I feel like a seasoned veteran when it comes to stock market crashes.

So, I am ready to hang on and ride the roller coaster once again, should it be starting up.
Guess this is part of what it takes to be an investor these days.

I bought low in Oct-Nov 2008, but I won't need to rebalance for a while unless the market keeps dropping .

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
If I were still an investor in individual stocks, I would generally be leaning toward the dividend stocks with a strong history of steady earnings and dividend growth. To the extent one can wring some of the risk out of stocks, I think that could do it.
Me too. Wasn't there a thread a while back about such stocks?
Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

Anyone want to toss out their own 'should-a bought' list?
I am still 100% individual stocks (as I have been since 1993). My current largest holdings are ADP, JNJ, KO, PG, SYY. Of the stocks I follow but do not currently own, I consider MDT, ABT, AFL to be the best values.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Im sure we will have more "stimulus" coming soon to prop this up a little longer

Im calling for S&P 500 at 500 soon
Old 02-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Pssst - Wellesley - ballpark 3.28% SEC yield. Not great but better than a kick in the butt.

Since 1966 - Zenness has eluded me. I ran high on blood pressure even when we were way ahead of Arizona - I wouldn't check it during the Viks game.

Full auto, Target Retirement 2015 plus early SS and non cola pension and 16 years of ER.

Don't know, don't care cause I've been through a few cycles? Well not exactly but it's getting better even though I still watch Mr Market and football.

Hormones - resistance is futile.

heh heh heh - Unless of course you're dead - that's no fun cause you can't take it with you. Geaux Saints.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Looks like it's time to strap on the seatbelts and go along for the follow the total market index ride
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Buying opportunity? Why not?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
Im calling for S&P 500 at 500 soon
You and TheSweetLife should start an investment newsletter. You'll be rich!
Old 02-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Nowhere to hide here

At least Im young and healthy...
Old 02-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Well, things aren't so bad.

Just ask :

Online Crystal Ball :: Free Fortune Teller

I asked is it a good time to invest in the stock market and got a 65% yes answer
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
After 2008-2009, I feel like a seasoned veteran when it comes to stock market crashes.
Now remember, a crash requires something like >30% drop within a certain amount of time (don't remember exactly). We definitely saw one of those in 2008. They are not very common.

A 20% drop or more is considered the start of a "bear market" unless you are already in one, I guess.

Anything less - 10% or so - is simply considered a "correction" and they occur relatively frequently in all markets.

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote