Join Early Retirement Today

Missing CC Offers
Old 01-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Missing CC Offers

I just realized last night, that DW and I are not getting nearly as many credit card offers as we used to get a few years ago when working.

I've noticed we are getting what I consider the lower tier ones like:
Capital One Venture - bonus of $200 with some spending.
Discover - bonus $100 with some spending.
Literally that is about all we get now.

We are NOT getting any Airline cards, which is annoying as we are planning a flight to Europe in Fall and would like the free baggage, etc.

Do Credit Card companies not offer them to retired folks, or old folks as much ?

I have an excellent credit score (~800) and about 6 cards that get used, some more than others, even an Amex card I pay the ~75/yr fee.

I have never opted out of offers, I just shred them if I'm not interested.

It made me wonder, how can I trigger getting more CC offers, or is this a trend everyone notices ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You could just sign up for an airline CC if you want to get points for your flights and free baggage. I have the United Chase card and it has some nice bennies.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Mine keep coming in and I rip them in half and toss 'em inna trash. Don't even look at them.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

We get fewer now than in the past too--and we are both still working. We occasionally get the high end solicitations from Amex and the like, but it is definitely less than in the past. Maybe just better (or less) targeting?

In any event, no need to wait for an invitation in the mail. Both DW and I grabbed the Chase Sapphire Reserve's 100K bonus simply by using the web site. If you know what you want, that route is always open--and you can scout the opportunities at the myriad credit card and points blogs/forums. Do you have established income trend from pension/social/Roth_conversions? if so, you should be fine.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Mine keep coming in and I rip them in half and toss 'em inna trash. Don't even look at them.
+1

Maybe the CC offers are a little fewer than when I was working, but either way it's still enough that I get more than I want. They go straight to the trash, along with AAA, AARP, hearing aid and cremation services (so cheery!), and so on.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I've been retired 3 years, and Mr. A. has been retired for 20+ years, and we get all sorts of CC ads. Including the big ones like Chase Sapphire Reserve (although we threw that away) (and then Calmloki posted how great it was, and we went for it).

Maybe, in order to interest the banks, you need to be a pretty heavy CC user in addition to having great credit?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

And river cruises, and old folks' homes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
+1

AAA, AARP, hearing aid and cremation services (so cheery!), and so on.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
It made me wonder, how can I trigger getting more CC offers, or is this a trend everyone notices ?
On your existing cards pay only the minimum such that you carry a balance across a month or two. CC companies absolutely lurve such customers.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #9

I wish I could send you some of mine..... I've been trying to curb them for years, but nothing changed, even after I FIREd last Spring. I have a total credit freeze - apparently, these outfits no longer run any credit inquiries before they mail the offers either. Nothing seems to be stemming the flood. Between DW and kids, we probably get at least 10 a week
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Even after 15 years retired, I still get one every week or so.
Fortunately, we have free curbside recycling.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I do toss the CC stuff, but I'm an AARP and AAA member and I like the river cruise stuff -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #12

I still get CC offers addressed to the people we bought our house from 13 years ago.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #13

I'm still w&#ing and I see a definite decrease in the last few years as well.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I wish I could send you some of mine..... I've been trying to curb them for years, but nothing changed, even after I FIREd last Spring. I have a total credit freeze - apparently, these outfits no longer run any credit inquiries before they mail the offers either. Nothing seems to be stemming the flood. Between DW and kids, we probably get at least 10 a week
That is incredible, tell me where you live and I'll take them right out of your mailbox

We used to get a lot, but the well has dried up ?
Old 01-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
You could just sign up for an airline CC if you want to get points for your flights and free baggage. I have the United Chase card and it has some nice bennies.
What sparked this questioning, is DW applied online for an AA card. Which when you go from the chase bank site to sign up, they keep swapping around the links for the card. So she had to start and then re-start filling in the form, and when complete, clicked submit.

A week later we get a letter wanting a big list of things - telephone bill, tax return with schedules, and a few other things. .

Since her credit score is higher than mine , I think it is because this was not a pre-approved offer, so for all they know, it could be the famous Russian hacker, or maybe the online application while looking fine really messed up magically.

Most credit cards I have gotten have been pre-approved offers which work smoothly.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #16

Quote:
What sparked this questioning, is DW applied online for an AA card. Which when you go from the chase bank site to sign up, they keep swapping around the links for the card. So she had to start and then re-start filling in the form, and when complete, clicked submit.

A week later we get a letter wanting a big list of things - telephone bill, tax return with schedules, and a few other things. .

Since her credit score is higher than mine , I think it is because this was not a pre-approved offer, so for all they know, it could be the famous Russian hacker, or maybe the online application while looking fine really messed up magically.

Most credit cards I have gotten have been pre-approved offers which work smoothly.
On the letter, there should be a reconsideration phone number. I would just call and talk to a live person.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

On one of my credit card offers was a 800 number to call to opt out of credit card offers. I called the number and the automated voice message said I would no longer get them for a period of 5 years
burch64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:40 AM   #18

Not sure but I think when we put a block on our credit reports they decreased quite a bit.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:

Sounds like the magical roulette wheel nailed you. We separately did unsolicited apps with Chase this past month for the sapphire reserve and the only glitch was because I had a credit warning flag due to a fraudulent Chase card application made in my name last year. DW was approved immediately online, and I was approved once I received the "need more information" letter, called, and verified my identity. (But we are both unretired for 6 more months.)
Old 01-29-2017, 09:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

+1 Always worth a try. (If the CS person still has to say "No" and can't explain why to your satisfaction, a supervisor may be able to give you a reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
I would just call and talk to a live person.