Mission 1/1/22: Please Pressure Test Our Plan!

Anthonyin2022

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am a long time reader and my wife recently joined as well. I am so grateful to everyone on this site for educating me! You are the reason why I think we can do this.....

We aim to pull the ER trigger in Jan 2022 and respectfully ask for your help to pressure test the hell out of our plan. For background, I’ve listed our facts below, followed by some questions/issues that I am trying to wrap my head around.

The data formatting below may be difficult to read, so if helpful, you can also see this full write-up in this Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PU8MhM8K2KH4NGSQVwGdeyFVAd2rtcoRnc1kaTAOdcg/edit?usp=sharing

Our Facts
I am 45, my wife is 51. Two kids, 13 and 11. I’ve worked in various mega-corp roles for 20+ years. The last 8 years at one of the FAANG companies. Mind blowing comp and benefits, but big hours and stress. Wife also worked in mega-corps until leaving to become our Chief Family Officer approx five years ago. She has done a great job with ensuring the kids are thriving and she feeds me very well, so I have that going for me, lol!

I’ve been a monster saver since college, but no real understanding on when I could retire until the last year or so when I started learning about ER here. Corp BS and stress has been horrible the last year and I am concerned that it is permanently affecting my health. My family also has a significant history of anxiety and depression issues as well as cancer. Thus, I now feel that I am wasting away my best years in something I hate just for the huge comp package. My wife supports my decision to pull the trigger and is working hard to learn about our finances and FIRE principles, but has historically relied on me to handle everything. I feel this partnership is critical to ensure we both truly enjoy ER and each other forever.

Our Numbers
Total Investable Assets: $4.1M

Taxable Accounts: $2.1M
  • Individual Stock: $1.6M
    All in three of the FAANGs. We’ve had huge returns on all three over the past 8 years, but realize that the lack of diversification is a big risk, especially in retirement.
  • Vanguard Index Mutual Funds: $400k
    (all Vanguard admiral stock funds (VTIAX, VFIAX, VTSAX)
  • Savings/Checking: $100k
Tax-Advantaged Accounts: $2M
  • Virtually 100% stock funds
  • My 401k: $1.2M all in Vanguard institutional stock funds
    (approx. 50% S&P 500, 30% Emerging Markets, 20% Small Cap)
  • My Roth IRA: $150k in VTSAX
  • My HSA: $50k in an S&P index fund
  • Wife's IRA: $500k all in VTSAX
  • Wife’s Roth IRA: $100k all in VFIFX
Future Annuity Streams: $68k
  • $30k My Social Security at 67
  • $28k Wife’s Social Security at 67
  • $10k Wife’s corporate pension at 65 (no COL increase)
Other Assets/Debt: $330k/$0
  • $200k Home equity ($320 FMV, approx $120k left on 10 year fixed 2.75% note) House is in great shape and all major items have been replaced in the last six years.
  • $10k for two 2014 Mazdas - both are paid off with extremely low mileage. Will likely keep them for another 5+ years.
  • $120k in 529 Plans ($60k for each child in Vanguard index funds)
  • No other debt
Expenses:
We’ve tracked our expenses for over two years and estimate we would need about $150k to live well with cushion (I hope!) Estimates are as follows.

Expense
Monthly
Annual
Mortgage
$1,200
$14,400
Property Taxes
$1,000
$12,000
Kids Expenses
$700
$8,400
Grocery
$600
$7,200
Utilities
$600
$7,200
Miscellaneous
$800
$9,600
Pet
$500
$6,000
Medical (not premiums)
$300
$3,600
Dining
$210
$2,520
Home/Car Insurance
$200
$2,400
House Expenses
$150
$1,800
Entertainment
$100
$1,200
My Hobbies
$100
$1,200
Wife’s Hobbies
$100
$1,200
Gym
$70
$840
Clothing
$50
$600
Gas
$40
$480
Car Maintenance/Misc
$40
$480
Govt fees
$30
$360
$6,790
$81,480

That brings us here:
Annual Spend Estimate
$81,480
Add: Additional 25% Cushion
$20,370
Add: $2500/month Health Insurance
$30,000
Subtotal
$131,850
Add: 15% Income Taxes
$20,000
Total
$151,850

I feel these expenses are reasonable while we get both kids through high school. Maybe some US travel, lots of local stuff, basically living through/for the kids.

I feel by the time they need it, the kids’ 529 plans should fund at least two years of a good college and by then, I hope we will have significant nest egg appreciation to help pay for additional education expenses. We’ll also continue adding to the 529s if we have surplus budget each year. Our POV is that we should help our kids avoid significant debt, but don’t feel obligated to pay for every cent of higher education if it puts our own retirement at risk. They are also very strong students, so perhaps some merit scholarships might be available as well.

After the kids have launched, we plan to move out of our very high tax/cold weather state to someplace warmer with a better cost of living. We’ll travel more, but don’t see anything crazy in terms of massive spend increases. I am perfectly fine spending most days exercising, enjoying nature, hobbies, pets, reading, annoying my wife, etc. Of course, if our plan overperforms, we will find ways to blow that dough!

Our Plan
I plan to give notice in Jan 2022 to get one more year of stock grants and bonus to fill our cash bucket. If I can make it that long, that should easily add $200k+ after tax. We will also use the year to further refine our plan.

Cash Bucket
With a $150k projected budget, we plan to launch with approx $300K in cash equivalents to live off of for the first two years. This hopefully allows for additional growth to our stash to further concrete our assumptions. We would perform an annual review to adjust and/or replenish the bucket as needed.

Employment Glide Path
For at least the first year, one of us (possibly both) would work part time in something low stress that we enjoy. This could provide a small supplementary income stream to further pressure test our plan. If that proves true, we could completely quit work if desired. We are thinking part-time year round (around 20 hrs/week) or full-time for part of the year (temp/contract roles using our professional expertise for 3-6 months). I would target $20k here and this could be considerably higher if we do the contracting/temp role(s).

Nest Egg Utilization
As our primary income source, we would use/replenish the $300k cash bucket by pulling 150k each year from the nest egg, as needed. This is 3.6% of our total investable assets. Both FireCalc and Fi Calc return 100% success rates using $150k withdrawal starting in 2023, $4M in invested assets (I subtracted $300k for the initial cash bucket: $100k in existing cash, plus $200k in 2021 bonus/stock), our current 100% AA, the $68k in SS/pension streams starting later, and a 45 year life span. This does not include any potential part-time income discussed above.

Part of me says, why are you worrying at all? You are at 100% in both tools! But that is just the worrywart in me. As discussed in my questions below, I think a big part of my concern is if/how I should take immediate action to add diversification to my AA.

We would pull from taxable accounts first and then move to the tax-advantaged accounts. We would try to perform roth conversions each year to aid future tax savings. If we had potential for ACA subsidies, we would balance that value with the taxable account drawdowns and Roth conversions. We still need to learn more on how to maximize those strategies.

Our Questions:
1. Lack of Diversification in our Taxable Accounts
We have approx 50% of our value in GOOG, APPL, and AMZN. We’ve profited tremendously from them over the last eight years and I feel they are extremely well positioned companies with excellent balance sheets/business models/leaders. I feel there are few companies that can compete with them in that perspective. However, I know this is a massive diversification risk and the little guy on my shoulder keeps telling me to move most/all into index funds. But I still struggle with doing this immediately due to high taxes because of my large employment income - I’d be in the top capital gains bracket and get hit hard with AMT and Investment tax. My idea is to immediately sell off shares that have low appreciation and then sell additional chunks of the highly appreciated shares each year until the diversification is more reasonable. Since my income would be significantly lower, so would our tax rates. I need help here to either (1) give me confidence that this is reasonable, (2) convince me that I am an idiot and need to bite the bullet on the taxes now, or (3) provide other suggestions.

2. Asset Allocation
I think this flows hand in hand with question 1. Excluding that stock diversification issue, we only use Vanguard Index funds, and are essentially 100% stocks. I’ve been fine with that for pretty much my whole career, but that is with thinking that I would be working for a very long time. I’m not sure that is still smart as retirees with hopefully 40+ years ahead of us. A part of me says to move to at least 80/20 immediately. Once again, I struggle with moving large chunks to bond funds now as I feel with interest rates so low, it will immediately hurt us in the short/mid-term and I need help understanding if most folks think this is really the right thing to do. Maybe I just don’t understand bond funds correctly? Should we really just move a huge chunk immediately to get to the 20%?

3. Health Insurance is our #1 expense wildcard
We factored in $2,500 per month for premiums, plus $300 a month in copays, etc. This would cover either COBRA from my employer or a gold ACA plan with no subsidies. We are generally very healthy. I have had multiple orthopedic repairs from sports and still have manageable aches/pains that will probably require joint replacements later on, but that seems a long way off. I’m not sure if that would count as pre-existing conditions forcing us into the ACA. We do foresee being able to manage MAGI to get some subsidy, so premium costs might be lower. We also have the additional 25% per month cushion for surprises. I know I can never be 100% sure, but do you think our health insurance budget here is reasonable?

4. Reasonableness of Expenses
We’ve scrubbed two years of spend data and will continue to track for 2021, so we feel those estimates are solid. We also have that 25% cushion for anything else that may come up. But I always worry that I am missing something, so any call outs here are appreciated!

5. Cash Bucket Options
We plan to hold two years of cash in a safe and liquid vehicle. Our thought was to find an internet savings account with a good reputation and high yield (still basically nothing these days). Wondering if there are other safe/liquid options that might return more but not require a ton of management?

6. “On Point” Resources
Finally, we want to learn more about Roth conversion and ACA subsidy strategies, as I think they would be great tools for us to add to our plan in great detail. Are there any on point websites, podcasts, or threads that folks would recommend to help us educate ourselves there?

Anything else that we are forgetting or missing? Thanks so much for all the help here! I am sooo ready to join the club!!

Last edited:
On paper it works. Closer to the edge for my liking.

College funding is light in my view.

What are your ideas about helping adult kids with adult expenses (masters degrees, marriages, house down payments, gifting)?

1. Lack of Diversification in our Taxable Accounts
We have approx 50% of our value in GOOG, APPL, and AMZN. ...
No professional money manager would be permitted by his organization to hold this kind of concentration. Typical limits are 10% or 15% concentration in a single security. Exceptions are made when the positions came in with a customer portfolio, in which case the manager would be expected to reduce the holdings in a way that minimizes any tax impacts.

There is a reason for this. It is printed on darn near every investment related paper or advertisement: "Past performance does not indicate future results."

I would suggest rejoicing in your good luck and getting out while the getting is good. Professionals see this kind of concentration frequently, usually when an individual's retirement funds were invested in his employer's stock. Enron is the poster child for worst case consequence.

On paper it works. Closer to the edge for my liking.

College funding is light in my view.

What are your ideas about helping adult kids with adult expenses (masters degrees, marriages, house down payments, gifting)?
Thank you Chassis. Can you give me more on why/where you think it is close to the edge? I would appreciate that.

It terms of helping our kids as adults, we will definitely always be there to help and would be generous with gifts as we can be, but as you said, they are adults, so we don't feel we a have responsibility to pay for all of those things. Perhaps that is because my wife and I both had to handle all of those things ourselves and they definitely were more valuable/appreciated by us becuase we were responsible for it. It is definitely something for us to think about though, so thank you.

No professional money manager would be permitted by his organization to hold this kind of concentration. Typical limits are 10% or 15% concentration in a single security. Exceptions are made when the positions came in with a customer portfolio, in which case the manager would be expected to reduce the holdings in a way that minimizes any tax impacts.

There is a reason for this. It is printed on darn near every investment related paper or advertisement: "Past performance does not indicate future results."

I would suggest rejoicing in your good luck and getting out while the getting is good. Professionals see this kind of concentration frequently, usually when an individual's retirement funds were invested in his employer's stock. Enron is the poster child for worst case consequence.
I agree completely on getting out and diversifying, just trying to figure out opinions on how to do so fron the tax hit perspective. In terms of luck, definitely some there, but I know tech very well and these companies are robust in every perspective. That being said, I know crazy things can happen and I need to spread out for the long term safety. So I guess I'll put your rec down for biting the bullet and taking the tax hit. Thank you OldShooter. I sincerely appreciate the advice.

Last edited:
Thank you Chassis. Can you give me more on why/where you think it is close to the edge? I would appreciate that.

It terms of helping our kids as adults, we will definitely always be there to help and would be generous with gifts as we can be, but as you said, they are adults, so we don't feel we a have responsibility to pay for all of those things. Perhaps that is because my wife and I both had to handle all of those things ourselves and they definitely were more valuable/appreciated by us becuase we were responsible for it. It is definitely something for us to think about though, so thank you.

@Anthonyin2022 You have approx $4m in net worth, correct? And you listed $150k in annual expenses, which includes a 25% cushion. This brings you close to a 4% safe withdrawal rate, which theoretically is doable.

My opinion is that with your age, and kids of their ages, your expenses will increase in the near future, and the 25% cushion isn't as much of a cushion as you may think it is. Your heavy spending years are in front of you.

If you had the financial position given in the original post, and you were 55 with both kids out of college, I would have a different view of the situation.

@Anthonyin2022 You have approx $4m in net worth, correct? And you listed $150k in annual expenses, which includes a 25% cushion. This brings you close to a 4% safe withdrawal rate, which theoretically is doable.

My opinion is that with your age, and kids of their ages, your expenses will increase in the near future, and the 25% cushion isn't as much of a cushion as you may think it is. Your heavy spending years are in front of you.

If you had the financial position given in the original post, and you were 55 with both kids out of college, I would have a different view of the situation.
Ok. Thank you for the feedback Chassis. Is there any specific areas you would say our spending would drastically increase and why?

Last edited:
Ok. Thank you for the feedback Chassis. Is there any specific areas you would say our spending would drastically increase and why?

As a parent myself with children of similar ages as yours, I think Chassis means that you'll have two more drivers in your household with potentially two more cars in your driveway :confused: and that creates/increases risk factors in your plan ...otherwise why would insurance premiums jump when parents add a teen onto their auto policy? Once one of mine starts taking Drive Ed, I'll most likely increase our Umbrella Insurance from $1M to $2M at least.

Another hole is the deductible/OOP med/dental expenses when you lose your company's health insurance. You're showing $2.5k/month premiums, but members here will probably point out that it's not sufficient should you use med services and should account for the yearly deductible/OOP somehow.

Not sure what what other spending would increase related to the kids entering teenage years, but the above are major ones.

IMO, your risk tolerance is very high for sure. I'm more conservative and I am sure I wouldn't sleep well if I had a mil+ in just a few stocks. However, I recently read a cute story and I think it kind of relates to your situation and you'd benefit to read it (I must admit I admire that old lady): https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2021/01/so-you-turned-300k-into-3-million-now-what/

You presented a well thought out plan and I'm sure more knowledgeable forum members will help you.
Due to your high expenses, I would say you're very close to the finish line especially if you stayed another year to pad your savings and if you considered to relocated to somewhere cheaper later. I also think your expenses would also decline.

Congratulations. It's no small achievement to amass that amount, and your plan is well considered too. I'd consider reducing your equity weighting as you transition. You plan for 2 years of living expenses in cash and you'll also have the new, lower stress jobs for future income, but perhaps you'll want more $ readily available should we experience a big market drop. Especially with 2 teens at home and college looming.

Congrats on being in great shape.

A few thoughts:

1) I think a 3.6% withdrawal rate is a bit rich given you're going on the young side. Just ensure there is flex in the spending plan and that you've got good coverage for the big expenses that come along -- new cars, etc.

2) We all have our own aspirations for what we want to fund in our kids college. From my view -- a few years ahead of you with one in college and another going in the fall -- your $60k each is really, really low and the ability for kids to self-fund two years of college at a mainstream institution is sketchy at this point.

Based on my historical tracking, college costs have been going up 3-3.5% per year. The recent crises may finally break the back of that trend...but i doubt it. And your investment horizon for these costs is far shorter than the balance of your portfolio.

The PA Guaranteed Savings plan tracks baskets of universities by type (state, private, ivy, etc.) to show what a semester costs currently. Typically add 40% to that for room/board. I would look up the type of school you're thinking about for your kids, compute the four year costs, and compound it through to the years they will be in school. It will make your hair stand on end.

3) That concentration has got to go. Nevermind the Enron-style risk. There is also when great single companies get crushed for an extended period of time. Go check out ORCL from Sept 2000 to 2015. Or the tech sector as a whole just falls out of favor. A sustained pullback in tech shares (30%) turns your $4.1M into $3.6M very quickly. Again, see the 2000's.

You're intent to be tax smart as you unwind that is good, but the tax mgmt tail shouldn't wag the investment strategy dog. I would move rather quickly on this.

Net: you're in really good shape but I would hit a few topics very hard.

Good luck.

As others have mentioned, you should reduce your concentration in the few stocks and in conjunction with this aspect, you can possibly start a strategy of managing your MAGI for ACA purposes.
The goal would be to keep your income under 4x FPL (Federal Poverty Level) which is ~ 68k.

I didn't see an expense category for Vacation. My retirement from mega corp planning included nice overseas and domestic vacation trips, but that may not be important to you.

Last edited:
I would also research dental plans post cobra period. Not sure if you might have 2 sets of braces in your future. Also, if your kids are into sports, we found we had higher medical out of pocket in the teen years for sports injuries.

Like others have posted, on a total asset basis you seem fine to pull 150k.

What at least I would worry about is having the 2 million in taxable allow you to make it to 55 when you may be able to pull from the pre-tax accounts (assuming you CAN access them at 55 in 10 years). The risk is higher given that a lot of this seems in FANG stocks. You may be able to use options to protect your downside while you are converting these; even so (If I read this correctly), that's pulling at least 7.5% from the taxable accounts for at least 10 years, in an account dominated by a few volatile stocks.

It's possible you could use the 72t provision to access the pre-tax accounts at 55, although that seems to be a pain. I pulled the trigger at 57, but I worked online for half salary for 5 years (which allowed my younger wife to retire completely at 55 since she really disliked her job and I enjoyed mine, particularly without the full-time grind. In those 5 years the portfolio went up 50%, so we were gold last year for me to pull the plug completely). So the part-time consulting route perhaps may well be a key component, particularly with the college sword hanging over your head.

Just some thoughts--but to me the weak point appears to be getting to age 55 or whenever you can access the pre-tax monies.

So we're not quite at your level yet (we live in SF, so my wife thanks you for helping us buy our house when she sold some of her Google employee stock), for the time horizon you are looking at, I'm personally targeting 3% withdrawals which is under the go infinite amount (historically there is no time period where it fails, it can live through back to back worst ever historical cycles for 60 years). BigERN over at Early Retirement Now has some good analysis here: https://earlyretirementnow.com/2016...-2-capital-preservation-vs-capital-depletion/

I feel like your medical estimate is low (I use $15k per person for our two person household for our estimate to cover OOP + premiums and I'm always worried I'm undercounting dental given how much high quality work costs), but ymmv.

I also do 100% stocks (VTSAX), for the long haul with a low enough withdrawal rate it's actually the highest success path (again check out BigERN's safe withdrawal series, parts 14 and 15 are on SORR specifically). My plan for prepping for SORR if I end up with a much shorter window than 60 years, is to switch all my new investment to bonds once I'm in the final stretch to build up that position, and leave existing taxable money where it is. Obviously rebalance your tax advantaged account to your hearts content, and diversify your holdings asap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom