Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

MMND: Financially Independent?
Old 02-29-2008, 12:54 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

MMND: Financially Independent?

MMND claims her family is financially independent. Her husband works part-time, which covers their current expenses, but does so because he chooses to, not because he needs to.

There are many numbers on MMNDs website, but they are scattered; it's difficult to see the whole picture.

On reading the different pieces, they didn't quite seem to add up to me. Last night I got curious enough to start gathering all the pieces.

QUESTION:

Is the MMND familiy financially independent by traditional finanacial guidelines?

DATA AND SOURCES:

From the prospectus: FundX Upgrader 2007 year-end total return is 15.06%. From their site: YTD returns as of 1/31/08 are -9.31%.

From an ER Forum post: planned spending of $89,000 / year until 2025, then less. They spend less than that now. MDND (MillionaireDaddyNextDoor) still works part-time, which covers their expenses.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...0&postcount=28

Housing expenses: $1,295 / month rent plus $250 / month utilities = $1,545 / month = $18,540 / year.

Millionaire Mommy Next Door: How I Bring My Dreams To Fruition

Budget: They spend almost as much on food as on housing. They budget $18,000 / year for travel, recreation, and entertainment. Minimum yearly budget: $18,540 housing + $16,000 food (guesstimate) + $18,000 travel/recreation/entertainment = $52,540.

Millionaire Mommy Next Door: We Live the Good Life, Not the Goods Life

MMND December Portfolio. Looks similar to FundX Upgrader.

http://millionairemommynextdoor.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-investment-portfolio-revealed.html

MMND Portfolio returns 2007 YTD as of 10/31/07. Up 28.05%, which is $258,563.

http://millionairemommynextdoor.blogspot.com/2007/11/my-investment-portfolio-has-been-kickin.html

MMND 2007 year-end results. Up 14.3%.

http://millionairemommynextdoor.blogspot.com/2008/02/my-2007-investment-portfolio.html

MMND Net Worth. At end of October 2007, $1,583,476. See website for detailed breakdown (table won't format properly here.)

http://www.networthiq.com/people/MillionaireMommy

CALCULATIONS:

As of 10/31/07, MMNDs portfolio was up 28.05%, which is $258,563. Therefore, her starting portfolio was:

$258,563 / 0.2805 = $921,793

And her portfolio as of 10/31/07 was:

$921,793 + $258,563 = $1,180,356

ANALYSIS:

First, MMND would have done slightly better simply by buying the FundX Upgrader fund.

Second, a 14.3% return for 2007 is excellent, beating just about any benchmark or combination of benchmarks you care to name.

Third, her 10/31/07 reported numbers do not match her 10/31/07 net worth statement. Taking only stocks, bonds, and retirement as portfolio = $936,547 + $29,335 + $359,594 = 1,325,476. I don’t know how to reconcile the difference. For now, I’ll continue to use her 10/31/07 reported numbers as a basis for the portfolio.

Fourth, in the months of November and December, her portfolio lost 13.75% (28.05% - 14.3%). This equates to $258,563 * (13.75 / 28.05) = $126,747.

Fifth, assuming that her 1/08 results were similar to FundX Upgrader, her portfolio would be ($1,180,356 – 126,747) * 0.9069 = $955,518.

Sixth, using the traditional 4% SWR, they could withdraw $955,518 * 0.04 = $38,221 per year.

Seventh, assuming that no part of their non-portfolio net worth changed, their NW at the end of 1/08 would be $1,583,476 – ($1,180,356 - $955,518) = $1,358,638.

Eighth, taking out $18,000 cars and $19,000 personal property, their total possible investment portfolio is $1,321,638, which would support a 4% SWR of $52,866.

CONCLUSION:

By traditional withdrawal guidelines, the MMND family is at best barely financially independent, and most likely not financially independent, certainly not spending $89,000 annually. MDND had better keep working, or the MMND family is likely to run out of retirement money.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Next: Kiyosaki?

A day or two ago I was approached by e-mail from one of our regulars here, who wanted to know what MMND's agenda really was and exactly what happened.

I told her what I will tell you; that MMND is gone now, and in my opinion there is no point castigating someone who is gone (other than to say the board is back to normal, thank goodness!). We can move on.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Kiyosaki - nah, I'd just link to John T. Reed's analysis!

I don't consider it castigating. Claims were made, I got curious enough to do an analysis, and thought I'd share it.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
Old 02-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Claims were made, I got curious enough to do an analysis, and thought I'd share it.

I also got curious and read all her blog .I came to the same conclusion that things just did not add up but you did a great job analyzing it . It's kind of scarey the kind of information that is given on these blogs .
Old 02-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Re: Kiyosaki - nah, I'd just link to John T. Reed's analysis!
I had the good fortune to read the material on John T. Reed's website concerning Kiyosaki, before I ever saw Kiyosaki on TV or read anything else by or about him. It was a great introduction to Kiyosaki, I must admit.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For some reason I thought MMND was here for some other reason than to discuss matters with others.... she was trolling for people to go to her blog so she could get more advertisement money... OR to try and sell her book she was saying she wrote (or about to write)...

Never did go to any other thread instead of hers... and never did cough up info on her returns from the end of Oct or even this YTD....

Don't miss her a bit...
Old 02-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I almost forgot about the "outrage" on how she was greeted... Oh well
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I almost forgot about the "outrage" on how she was greeted... Oh well
Outrage is the American National Sport. Naturally, blessed as we are by good Americans on this site, outrage must out from time to time.

Ha
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #9

I'm curious about what motivates you folks. You obviously feel justified in attacking this person. Why?

TickTock has thoroughly "debunked" her by telling us that she's not rich enough to be considered financially independent.

Is that the new standard that posters here are to be held to? In that case, tell us your net worth and expenses and let's see if you're fit to post here.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
I'm curious about what motivates you folks. You obviously feel justified in attacking this person. Why?

TickTock has thoroughly "debunked" her by telling us that she's not rich enough to be considered financially independent.

Is that the new standard that posters here are to be held to? In that case, tell us your net worth and expenses and let's see if you're fit to post here.
Did you read the same threads I did? If so, then I do not know where your question is coming from.....

She came in with this rah rah story saying how great she was, how she worked her way up from a minimum salary job and in (IIRC) 10 years was financially independent and if you go read her blog she will tell YOU how to do it also.... and that she was on TV and writing a book and etc. etc.....

Then, when some people asked her some questions on 'how' this was done.... she did not answer or attacked... still trying to get people to her blog... still rah rah....

And then when it turns out that her husband was making BIG bucks (which was not how she presented herself)..... it was a lot easier to see how she could become 'financially independent'.....

But I never saw her on any other thread.... nor give any post that was interesting to me.... she was a tornado that came and went.... nothing more...

I could care less if she did or did not have the money she said... or was independent or not... saving or not... investing in her momentum funds or not.... and I suspect that most of the others did not care a bit either... there were many who said to stay and contribute.... she chose not to... again... HER decision...
Old 03-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post

No; but I can't see any reason that it should not be a standard for someone who trumpets his/her "the right way" for others to become financially independent, including those who are here on this board.

I know that living from capital is a tricky undertaking, and I would not normally try to tell some one what to do. The choices are huge, and can have huge effects on one's life.

Here's a quote from Buffet's recent letter that is germane to the issue-

Many helpers are apparently direct descendants of the queen in Alice in Wonderland, who said: “Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many
as six impossible things before breakfast.”

One of my interests in life is not being like that Queen. From time to time we get put to the Red Queen test around here; and most of us know when it is happening.

Ha
Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #12

Ha, you're the token anti-indexing pro-stock-picking guy here. You're strongly opinionated. And we still love you.

But you don't have a blog. So, is it her blog? We've had people with blogs here before. Even Real Authors(TM) and people with pretty specific agendae. But we still treated them with respect.

I have no qualms with skepticism. But, man, I'd be worn out and a bloody mess if I handled my skepticism the way you guys handled MMND.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Al right folks....just keep moving along...nothing to see here...move along...
Old 03-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Last I checked......there were a bunch more replies to this thread that have vanished......and now the cops are here...so, are you part of the conspiracy, SteveR?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #15
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

PIGS OFF CAMPUS!!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Not me. I don't delete messages without good cause.

The note was intended to be a friendly reminder that things can get out of hand rather quickly when the general content of a thread starts out the way this one has.

And don't call me a Pig. I am sure the real pigs would be offended.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The messages were deleted by the posters themselves. They were being civil.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
For some reason I thought MMND was here for some other reason than to discuss matters with others.... she was trolling for people to go to her blog so she could get more advertisement money... OR to try and sell her book she was saying she wrote (or about to write)...
Bingo.

She probably achieved her mission. Likely she did not intend to stay here. She is just casting a broad net to advertise for the book. The blog may get some ad $, but the book is her main project.

There are a fairly large number of lurkers who will read her initial post and go to her blog. I suspect many lurkers do not bother to read too deeply into the posts to follow our drama.

If she spreads the word on multiple sites, she will show up in more internet searches also.

Here we are still debating her claims and she moved on and probably never looked back.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 AM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

As I said before leaving this forum over a month ago, I came to this forum to exchange thoughts with what I had hoped to be a group of like-minded, supportive people who share similar (ER) aspirations and experiences. While I have received private emails from several very friendly individuals from this forum (thank you), it appears that a few members here get their jollies by bashing and flaming one another. Upon looking through the forum archives, I see that I'm not the first, last and certainly not the only one to be on the receiving end of this bullying behavior. I'm simply not interested in participating in this kind of environment.

I repeat once again: I did not introduce myself here with the intention to sell anything. I write simply because I enjoy it as a hobby - and that's why I shared this about myself in my introduction post. I pledge my blogging revenue to non-profits. If I decide to write a book, I will likewise offer my profits to charity. Folks on this forum are not my targeted audience. I did not - and do not - want traffic from this forum. In fact, I wrote to the moderators of this forum and requested that they delete every mention of me and my blog from the archives (the links you folks have provided - not me). However, the moderators chose to refuse my request.

"It's really quite simple," the child related,
"To reject and rewrite the scripts we've created.
First, go to the place where your power resides,
Where your soul, your heart, and your mind are allied.
Send love and expect that all violence will cease,
Then fill up your thoughts with emotions of peace."

"If reflections of hate or distrust come to mind,
Embrace them, then release them, and leave them behind.
Bring your attention to the clear definition
Of what you expect from your thoughts and volition."

"Then give your thoughts wings! Let them fly! Let them sail!
They will carry the message that peace will prevail."

by Joan McWilliams, excerpt from The PeaceFinder: Riley McFee's Quest for World Peace

With wishes for peace, love and happiness for all of you,
Jen
Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #20

I asked her a few questions in her into. and she answered them promptly...isnt the first poster here with a working spouse or side income

Jen...I hope you continue to post here...