mom received settlement what to do

Beachgrl

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all!
My mom received a settlement check that is substantial. We are discussing options. She is afraid of any online banking.

She may want to use this money to purchase a condo in 3 years or so.

I'm leaning towards a CD. I'm also trying to encourage an online money market account but i'm not sure she'll go for it. Other ideas? Thankyou

Define what you mean by "substantial."

It matters because if she is looking to invest this money and also buy a condo in 3 years; we know how to split up the money for various investments.

If she has any debts; she may want to clean those up.

You can get 2.5%+ on brokerage money market accounts with no risk.

Would not want to tie up money in a CD. What if she wants to buy a condo sooner than 3 years?

Show her the online FDIC statements that protect the same monies as a brick and mortar bank.
She could use Ally Bank which doesn't have the highest rates, but is well known and been around awhile.

It matters because if she is looking to invest this money and also buy a condo in 3 years; we know how to split up the money for various investments.

Would not want to tie up money in a CD. What if she wants to buy a condo sooner than 3 years?

100+K

No debt.

She's not looking to invest, just get some interest and have somewhat access to it.

thanks will check the brokerage

Agree with both MrLoco and Dtail. I haven't had a brick and mortar bank in years. Perfectly safe and much easier to put the money in a higher yielding investment. If your mom insists on FDIC insurance, go with an online savings account, or purchase short term new issue CDs (commission-free) through a well known broker, like Fidelity or Schwab.

Show her the online FDIC statements that protect the same monies as a brick and mortar bank.
She could use Ally Bank which doesn't have the highest rates, but is well known and been around awhile.

good idea!!

If all you/she wants to do is to protect the principle and earn a little interest, set up a three year CD ladder at any reputable institution, on line or brick and mortar.

If all you/she wants to do is to protect the principle and earn a little interest, set up a three year CD ladder at any reputable institution, on line or brick and mortar.

i think this is her goal

If her primary goal is preservation of principal, I would do either an online savings account or set up a Vanguard account and buy VMMXX or see if she can catch a good CD special at a local bank.

Online banks at paying~2% and VMMXX is yielding about 2.34% currently. A 3-year CD ladder will likely be a hair above 2%.

I would put it in an online savings account at Ally. Perfectly safe, the money would be accessible at any time, and I think they are paying 2.10% right now, which is decent.

PenFed Credit Union is paying 2.00% on their premium online savings account up to $250,000. Minimum deposit required is $5.

Anyone can join Pentagon Federal Credit Union. I joined 7 or 8 ago by becoming a member of one of their partner organisations for a year but I can't remember which one. You can join the Air Force Association for a year, for example, for $20. PenFed explains it all on their website (PenFed.org) and they have very helpful humans you can talk to.

By online banking does she mean anything online?I have been helping MIL and she wants to see someone face to face.No Vanguard, no Ally,etc.The Schwaab is downtown & the Fidelity office is in the 'burbs. So pretty much stuck with credit unions. It's her money si it is what it is

An online, FDIC insured account with high rates. You can compare at bankrate.com.

agree with cleaning up debt but otherwise the 3-timeframe is too short and risk of volatility too great to invest in anything but a MM or CD. if the 3-yrs may shrink then a MM or shorter term CD may be a solution.

It's been a while since I bought a CD, but in the old days, cashing one in early usually only cost the past 90-day interest payment. So a CD that nets you 1% more might well be worth a look.

Heh, heh, I don't like on-line banking either. I do have a Vanguard account, but I let my cash (what I'll spend in the next 6 months) lie in a checking account. So don't listen to me. YMMV

I would put it in an online savings account at Ally. Perfectly safe, the money would be accessible at any time, and I think they are paying 2.10% right now, which is decent.

Ally is paying fair rates on savings accts. (2.10%), and better on larger CD's that can be accessed early. I'd put it there.

Back
Top Bottom