Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11522914 View Post
Oil stocks down huge. Wow. I sold my OXY position on 2/10/20 for 40.69. Lost approximately $15 per share. Today, one month later, it's trading right now at $17.56, 56.8% drop from when I sold it. It would have a dividend yield of 17.9%.

Copy - do you think OXY is going to make it through this crisis? A dividend cut for sure?
Their issue is leverage as a result of the Adadarko deal. It pissed me off at the time they bid up, and it really irrates me now (as I didn't sell all of my OXY). I know OXY has some of their oil already sold through financial markets (see attached pdf for oil hedge), but I am still trying to get my head around how much this really protects them.

ETA: I think it only protects them to the $40 WTI level, i.e. they are now in Brent + $10 range and lose $ for $ with further oil price declines.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf oxy 2020 oil hedge.pdf (56.9 KB, 1 views)
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I have placed orders for stocks I've been interested in at ridiculously low prices (ex. AAPL @ $200). Maybe I'll get lucky. But this is all in my gambling Roth. My main assets (index funds) are sitting pat unless I reach a rebalance band.

Good thing I already own Diageo.
GTC orders?
Old 03-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here is an interesting youtube video on the market from a small investor that works in the oil industry.

Also here is another interesting take on the oil crash from someone that worked as an oil analyst.

ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
My condolences to those that are retired already and are spending their retirement constantly thinking about the market ups and downs.
*spending their retirement thinking about the market ups and downs while they are not exposed to coworkers who are unknowingly already spreading a virus with a 3% mortality rate.
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
*spending their retirement thinking about the market ups and downs while they are not exposed to coworkers who are unknowingly already spreading a virus with a 3% mortality rate.
*or not having to worry about whether their job might be a casualty of a manufactured recession.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #66

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
My condolences to those that are retired already and are spending their retirement constantly thinking about the market ups and downs.

Let's see, came to work to start my 8 hour day. I will gross $550 today plus 401K match plus some vacation and sick hours. So basically $700 or so for 8 hours of (I guess they call it) work. Let's see, 7 emails with about 10 minutes of action items. Called DW. Called the repair shop regarding DD Sentra. Ate breakfast. Checked ER.org. Talked to coworkers for about 20 minutes. Walked over to the golf course and back. About 2 miles. Disinfected desk area. Sat in a meeting for about 15 miutes. Pretty cool subject. EMI testing on a product we are developing. Now back on ER.org. Ate lunch at desk. Just think, I could be at home on the computer obsessing about the market and my AA instead of being here making $. Meeting DW after work for dinner.

In all seriousness good luck to all of the retired folks out there who are worried about what is going on. I hope your plans are solid. Stay the course.
Hope you are kidding about being so lazy. I used to make examples out of loafers when taking on a new department - up to firing for cause (without package).
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #67
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
Well, not if their goal is to drive their competition out of business. They tried to kill of US shale back in 2015. They just might succeed this time with the double whammy of a demand decline due to the coronavirus.
Usually price is function of supply/demand, but with demand being impacted by Covid-19, and lower prices unlikely to stimulate demand in the near term, it just seems strange, so you may be correct about their motives. While good for consumers, I would not think governments would take kindly those that try to kill their domestic oil industries via dumping at artificially low prices.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #68

Wow, MLPs are doing even worse than the broader energy market.

MLPA is -24%.

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/MLPA

VDE is almost -20%.

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/VDE?s=vde

So much for the MLP "toll road" business model that is not subject to oil price fluctuations...

Overseas oil majors are doing worse than the US except for COP.

TOT = -17.50%
RDS = -17.30%
BP = -19.76%
XOM = -10.00%
CVX = -13.09%
ENI = -21.00%
COP = -23.78%
Old 03-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The talking heads are all attributing today’s pullback to more Covid-19 anxiety, with only a mention to the oil production dispute. Either way we’ll bottom out and recover sooner or later. Not worried, not acting.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s what I’m talking about. Some weak players were squashed. Brought oil prices down from much higher. Surely some of the survivors, including the US oil industry learned something from that.
The ‘14 price war lasted about 2 years. Petroleum companies took a beating, MLP partnerships did even worse. Resolution is unpredictable becasue it’s between Saudia Arabia and Russia. This is falling knife territory.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmsmshr View Post
Hope you are kidding about being so lazy. I used to make examples out of loafers when taking on a new department - up to firing for cause (without package).
I suspect BigDawg has some institutional or other knowledge such that when TSHTF he is very valuable.

Nikola Tesla visited Henry Ford at his factory, which was having some kind of difficulty. Ford asked Tesla if he could help identify the problem area. Tesla walked up to a wall of boilerplate and made a small X in chalk on one of the plates. Ford was thrilled, and told him to send an invoice.The bill arrived, for $10,000. Ford asked for a breakdown. Tesla sent another invoice, indicating a $1 charge for marking the wall with an X, and $9,999 for knowing where to put it.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
Their issue is leverage as a result of the Adadarko deal. It pissed me off at the time they bid up, and it really irrates me now (as I didn't sell all of my OXY). I know OXY has some of their oil already sold through financial markets (see attached pdf for oil hedge), but I am still trying to get my head around how much this really protects them.

ETA: I think it only protects them to the $40 WTI level, i.e. they are now in Brent + $10 range and lose $ for $ with further oil price declines.
For who knows what reason I just tried to catch this very quickly falling knife, bought some @ 12.52.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #73

OUCH...

The MLP etf AMZA is down -42.56%........

https://seekingalpha.com/symbol/AMZA?s=amza

Can't say I really feel sorry for people on that one. That etf has been distributing more than it earns for the last few years, in order to entice people with a huge "sucker yield". Lots of people have pointed this out on SA only to be blasted by shareholders.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:35 PM   #74

100% equities guy here checking in. YES it was an absolute bloodbath out there today, now down over 20% from my recent high on 2/19/20.
Old 03-09-2020, 02:43 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

For those who are accumulating and 100% equities, do you regret at all being 100% equities right now and not having 6,10,15% cash to be able to start piling in at much lower prices?
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
For those who are accumulating and 100% equities, do you regret at all being 100% equities right now and not having 6,10,15% cash to be able to start piling in at much lower prices?
On this forum, there are only a few of us 100%'ers that actively post. And add accumulating and the number we are speaking to is even smaller, but I will play.

My answer is NO. Since I began tracking 7 years and 3months ago I am still up over 294%.

So 294 / 7 = 42%. I'll keep my 42% average annual returns and ride this wave like a pro surfer!

Live without regret.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
On this forum, there are only a few of us 100%'ers that actively post. And add accumulating and the number we are speaking to is even smaller, but I will play.

My answer is NO. Since I began tracking 7 years and 3months ago I am still up over 294%.

So 294 / 7 = 42%. I'll keep my 42% average annual returns and ride this wave like a pro surfer!

Live without regret.
The secret sauce (over the long run) is compounding through reinvesting the dividends.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The secret sauce (over the long run) is compounding through reinvesting the dividends.
**Divvies included!
Old 03-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Since I began tracking 7 years and 3months ago I am still up over 294%.

Are you saying your investments are worth almost 3 times what they were 7 years, 3 months ago? If so, that's a 16% average annual return.

If 42% is the correct number, then I am missing something in the math.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #80

Wow... no words for this.

"All of Italy now under lockdown"

https://seekingalpha.com/news/354995...under-lockdown

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/09/ital...y-at-home.html