Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2021, 09:59 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant13 View Post
Money in itself - if it just piles up and sits there is not going to make most people happy. You need to use it to actually buy yourself that happiness, whatever it means to you...

“Money is much more exciting than anything it buys.” — Mignon McLaughlin

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

I can say with absolute certainty that I'm happier now with more dough than I was before with less dough.

But that's just me, ya'll may differ.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I can say with absolute certainty that I'm happier now with more dough than I was before with less dough.

But that's just me, ya'll may differ.
if 'happier' = less worry or stress about the future then i concur.
Administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:02 PM   #44

"I've been poor and I've been rich. Rich is better"
~ various
Old 02-09-2021, 11:03 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Yeah. Easy. No brainer eh?
Old 02-10-2021, 02:09 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Debt kills happiness for sure. But some of the happiest times I had were when we were just starting out with absolutely nothing, and we had tremendous fun counting our cash on hand at the end of the day to figure out what treat we could have the next day. It sounds odd, but it was actually a deliriously happy time. We were young, we had each other, we had fun. Now we still have fun, and we are still happy, but there was something about being 25 and in fresh love.... The money I have now buys many things, but that youth and freshness... gone like the seasons turning !
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
More money does lead to increased happiness. And there is no ceiling, although it takes progressively more money to obtain a given increment of happiness.

The abstract from a new paper:
I believe you can hit happiness on less than 75k but that would do it for sure. My family is happy on 22k but we have some paid for stuff. So if that stuff was not paid for we might need 37k.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I pity the rich kids in the new startups who got rich easily before they understood about struggle.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I’ve never bought into the idea that happiness plateaus at $75K. That seems completely random and unique to each individual. We lived very frugally while working toward FIRE and now that we can afford to splurge on things we are definitely enjoying doing so. And we enjoy not having any stress associated with surprises like needing a new roof or having an unexpected medical bill.
Living in the SF Bay Area, that $75K happiness limit seems insanely ridiculous.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
This is a good example of how incremental increases in wealth can and often do lead to more happiness. Extra wealth gives us the ability to easily erase annoying, uncomfortable, painful things from our lives and replace them with better things. For example, if I'm into the RV lifestyle but only have an old, beaten up, small RV that needs constant maintenance and causes me nearly daily aggravation, being able to (easily) afford a new, larger, luxurious RV is undoubtedly going to make me happier overall. It makes sense to me that you could extrapolate these kinds of "life upgrades" all the way up the net-worth/income scale, with almost no limit.
Very true. The security of being able to deal with these expenses easily REALLY increases happiness.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Money may not be able to buy happiness, but it can sure rent it.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkern View Post
Living in the SF Bay Area, that $75K happiness limit seems insanely ridiculous.
If your house is already paid for, the cost of living in the Bay Area is comparable to other Metro areas of other states. My brothers and sister living the Bay Area spend less than $75K a year.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

$75K goes a long way if you have no mortgage, no car payments, no debts.

Unless your real-estate tax is sky high, what do you do with $6250/month?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
$75K goes a long way if you have no mortgage, no car payments, no debts.

Unless your real-estate tax is sky high, what do you do with $6250/month?

^+1 We only average about 40-42k a year with no mortgage, no car payments no debts and are very "happy" although I prefer the word content.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyone is different. The way money affects an individual’s happiness will have an infinite number of answers. IT is silly to make blanket statements or assign numbers.
I personally have lived through many different levels of money and for me I clearly see what it does, but someone else may react much differently to identical situations.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

David Lee Roth: "Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right alongside it"
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Debt kills happiness for sure. But some of the happiest times I had were when we were just starting out with absolutely nothing, and we had tremendous fun counting our cash on hand at the end of the day to figure out what treat we could have the next day. It sounds odd, but it was actually a deliriously happy time. We were young, we had each other, we had fun. Now we still have fun, and we are still happy, but there was something about being 25 and in fresh love.... The money I have now buys many things, but that youth and freshness... gone like the seasons turning !
Thanks for the reminder. Back in the day on Friday night we got a pep pizza for $3.18 and splurged on a single scoop ice cream cone. That was it. 43 years later with more than enough I struggle to recapture that excitement. Maybe it's time to wake up and realize what we have.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:36 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I think happiness does plateau at a level of spending which may be much lower than your actual income. I have no desire to spend more than 100K even though I could afford to spend twice that. It wouldn't make me happier. But having millions in assets I'll never spend does make me happier.
steveark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
Thanks for the reminder. Back in the day on Friday night we got a pep pizza for $3.18 and splurged on a single scoop ice cream cone. That was it. 43 years later with more than enough I struggle to recapture that excitement. Maybe it's time to wake up and realize what we have.
The excitement of young love has nothing to do with money, correct?
At this point in your lives how would you feel if you were in that same financial situation of 43 years ago ?
I believe as you grow older money provides comfort which contributes a lot to happiness, but that is me.
It is nice to not have to worry about money.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveark View Post
I think happiness does plateau at a level of spending which may be much lower than your actual income. I have no desire to spend more than 100K even though I could afford to spend twice that. It wouldn't make me happier. But having millions in assets I'll never spend does make me happier.
^This makes no sense to me. I feel secure with money but it doesn't directly correlate to my happiness. Having millions you will never spend makes you happy? Just seems weird to me.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote