Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2008, 02:19 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the LTC insurance, what I'd want to buy at 60 is a policy that covers in home care, not all that worried about the nursing home coverage, since I'd rather stay at home anyway if possible.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Does anyone think any of the financial magazines are worth a subscription?
Just buy a copy of The Economist and see if you like it. I have had a subscription for about 30 years now. The rest of my information I get on the web. Or I post a question here or at VG diehards board and they don't even charge .5%AUM.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Just buy a copy of The Economist and see if you like it. I have had a subscription for about 30 years now. The rest of my information I get on the web. Or I post a question here or at VG diehards board and they don't even charge .5%AUM.
I do read The Economist periodically (get it) but I'm not a subscriber. I don't consider it a financial magazine, much broader than that IMHO. Friend of mine is a fanatic reader, and I'd agree with both of you, The Economist is one of the best magazines around. When I'm in an airport facing a long flight, TE is usually what I'll buy for the times I can't just listen/watch my iPod.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #44

I'll have to 3rd that on The Economist. My son gets it by subscription, and I "borrow" his to read.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords hit it when he wrote, "...it's hard to find a magazine worth paying for when you can read it on the Web."

I/we subscribe to a few magazines: Kiplingers, Cottage Living [unh-unh, not mine he said] & SI (all three are new, for $2/ea/yr courtesy of a crcard mailing), Money (the Classic Comic Book of financial mags), Proceedings (another life member) & the usual newsletters/mags associated with memberships. With more periodicals now offering electronic versions of their paper issues, why stick with paper? Why subscribe at all?

I just got an email from BoatUS - as a member, I get their monthly magazine. Now they're pushing the electronic version of the mag & want members to opt out of the printed version. And it's really a better way to read their stuff - easy search capabilities, cut-and-paste articles to send/save... I've gone through 2 issues so far, and it's growing on me as a way to read what they've written.

I can see it coming; when will they start to charge for the "privilege" of getting a printed copy in the mail? The conversion to e-magazines may give some of us old dogs a headache, but doesn't it really make sense to move away from paper?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
I can see it coming; when will they start to charge for the "privilege" of getting a printed copy in the mail?
Well, there's plenty of precedent.

"You say that you want the actual checks you wrote physically mailed back to you after we process them at the bank? Why would anyone want that? Hey, Trixie--come over here and listen to what this guy is asking us to do."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:51 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
Would definitely admit that a lot of the material is "same ol-same-ol" and articles tend to become somewhat redundant.
Just like 95% of all magazines (financial and non-financial). Waste of time and money IMHO; but if you find it entertaining reading, then $10 p.a. doesn't seem like a lot.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I'm another one that gets The Economist. The first section I read is Finance because you'll sometimes find good articles that are fairly incisive on economic trends. Articles on other countries give you a decent sense of the world from less of an American-centric prespective.

The rest of the mags I peek at in the library.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

"Economist ... targets smart people", I knew there was a reason I subscribe to it: The Economist is beating the odds in the U.S. - MarketWatch
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Frank's father subscribed to The Economist, and would leave it for Frank and me to read each week after he glanced through it.

He passed away last Easter, and we miss him dreadfully. Just to add to it, we no longer have The Economist to look forward to each week. If I were to subscribe to a magazine, that would be one to consider.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote