Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Money management software
Old 05-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Voorheesville, NY
Posts: 129
Money management software

I still use an old software version of Quicken because it allows me to have scheduled transactions, savings goals and transfers to those goals that really leave the money in their actual accounts but make it look as if it was gone. For example, I daily move credit card transactions to a savings goal so that the money in my checking account is still there when the credit card payment is due (Pay off every month and collect the points). I tried the online Quicken version but they seem to have done away with that type of action. Any suggestions for a replacement?
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,665
Iím a happy user of Moneydance since 2012. Upgraded from Quicken, and before then, MS Money.

I find that each of these programs have their own quirks, but once you get used to them, work about the same. Even though one feature I enjoy with Moneydance is the ability to write custom python scripts.

A forum search will find a few threads on this topic.
__________________
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,421
It is unclear to me what you are trying to do. I use Quicken and import all my credit card transactions. When I do, they increase my credit card liability balance with offsets to various categories that the credit charges are for like food, travel, electricity or whatever.

Later when the auto pay happens, it reduces my checking account by the amount of the payment and reduces my credit card liability by the same amount.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
bolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 376
This is a brand new option and my magic word is FREE!

https://rows.com/pricing
Hope it helps!

Good luck & best wishes......
__________________
It ainít what you donít know that gets you into trouble. Itís what you know for sure that just ainít so.
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 29,466
I’m really limping along with Quicken 2007 for Mac.

A few years ago some change to the OS meant Quicken would not longer automa generate backup file copies. I do it manually now, occasionally making a duplicate from the finder which thankfully still works.

Last year I lost the ability to download transaction data directly. It would still import QFX files, thank goodness, although you had to dismiss an error message. That takes care of all but one of my institutions. But I lost the ability to download transactions from Fidelity which does not provide QFX files. Manual entry is a pain, but more of a monthly chore.

This year suddenly my Quicken stopped downloading quotes! I learned how to generate a QIF file from a numbers spreadsheet, so that’s now how I import quotes.

Increasingly cumbersome but still working!

Account reconciling and scheduled transactions still going strong - knock on wood! Reports still work and I use a lot of custom reports.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:34 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Voorheesville, NY
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
It is unclear to me what you are trying to do. I use Quicken and import all my credit card transactions. When I do, they increase my credit card liability balance with offsets to various categories that the credit charges are for like food, travel, electricity or whatever.

Later when the auto pay happens, it reduces my checking account by the amount of the payment and reduces my credit card liability by the same amount.
When I import the credit card transactions for today, for example. If the total is $100, I want to 'hide' $100 from my checking balance to a 'savings goal' account. Old Quicken can do this. Then, when the auto pay happens, I want to 'sweep' the month's worth of daily hidden money back to my checking so I have the money to cover the credit card. Note, the money never left my checking account in reality, was just hidden.
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:18 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stuck in the mud somewhere in the NJ swamp
Posts: 7,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
This is a brand new option and my magic word is FREE!

https://rows.com/pricing
Hope it helps!

Good luck & best wishes......
Why "a spreadsheet on steroids"? Do you use this for home money management?

I just use Excel, as I have found no one can audit my results.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:55 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Iím a happy user of Moneydance since 2012. Upgraded from Quicken, and before then, MS Money.

I find that each of these programs have their own quirks, but once you get used to them, work about the same. Even though one feature I enjoy with Moneydance is the ability to write custom python scripts.

A forum search will find a few threads on this topic.
For Moneydance, is just a 1 time payment of $49 and then no future costs? Do you know if you can import transactions (e.g. credit card transactions from a csv file)?
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
This is a brand new option and my magic word is FREE!



https://rows.com/pricing

Hope it helps!



Good luck & best wishes......
I must be missing something. How does this relate to OP's question
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:40 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
For Moneydance, is just a 1 time payment of $49 and then no future costs? Do you know if you can import transactions (e.g. credit card transactions from a csv file)?

No future costs if you stay on the same version. I usually pay for an upgrade every couple of years, which is discounted. I paid $25 to upgrade to the 2021 version.

Yes, you can import transactions. I have it configured to download transactions from most financial institutions, but for those that donít support downloads (such as the Fidelity/Elan credit card), I manually download the transactions. I believe it uses the QIF (Quicken) format. Thereís also an option to import CSV, but Iím not sure how well it works.

You can always download a trial version of Moneydance and give it a shot. Thatís the easiest way to know if itíll work for you.
__________________
Eat, Drink and Be Merry.
tulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
When I import the credit card transactions for today, for example. If the total is $100, I want to 'hide' $100 from my checking balance to a 'savings goal' account. Old Quicken can do this. Then, when the auto pay happens, I want to 'sweep' the month's worth of daily hidden money back to my checking so I have the money to the credit card. Note, the money never left my checking account in reality, was just hidden.
So do you ultimately categorize your credit card charges to food, electricity, etc at all? If not, then I guess that you can create a category and charge that category whne the credit card charges come in and then credit that category when the autopay happens and that would serve the same purpose.

OTHO, my main question would be why would you do this? If it is for cash management, then you might want to set up the projected balances graph for your checking account. I use that and have my various inflow (pension, monthly retirement savings withdrawal, etc.) and outflow (credit card autopay, other payments) defined in bills and income... then the graph shows a 90-day projection of my checking account. I monitor this graph to make sure that my checking account has enought to pay my bills.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
OTHO, my main question would be why would you do this?
+1

Doing away with the mental accounting might be the easiest solution.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,755
I use MoneyDance for my daily money management. I don't use any of the online or importing features, I just use it like an electronic checkbook. It has a few annoying quirks (like no way to eliminate the double-line header when in single-line mode), but nothing that is a deal breaker. Printing and exporting is kind of weird too, but I don't do that much.

I also haven't seen a way to record a transfer in one operation. Instead I have to record a deduction in one account, and a deposit in the other account. It's not a big deal, just an extra step.

I also use a program called Alzex Personal Finance to analyze our spending (https://www.alzex.com/) . At the end of each year I download CSV records for all of our accounts (checking, savings, credit cards, etc.) then import them into Alzex. It lets me categorize each item quickly (and change it if needed) to get a better idea of where our money is going. By knowing where, and how much, we are spending, it gives me an actual spending number to use when planning for retirement.

I like to keep the analysis features in Alzex separate from our daily account balances. If I mess up something in Alzex it doesn't hurt anything.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I use MoneyDance for my daily money management. I don't use any of the online or importing features, I just use it like an electronic checkbook. It has a few annoying quirks (like no way to eliminate the double-line header when in single-line mode), but nothing that is a deal breaker. Printing and exporting is kind of weird too, but I don't do that much.

I also haven't seen a way to record a transfer in one operation. Instead I have to record a deduction in one account, and a deposit in the other account. It's not a big deal, just an extra step.

I also use a program called Alzex Personal Finance to analyze our spending (https://www.alzex.com/) . At the end of each year I download CSV records for all of our accounts (checking, savings, credit cards, etc.) then import them into Alzex. It lets me categorize each item quickly (and change it if needed) to get a better idea of where our money is going. By knowing where, and how much, we are spending, it gives me an actual spending number to use when planning for retirement.

I like to keep the analysis features in Alzex separate from our daily account balances. If I mess up something in Alzex it doesn't hurt anything.
My primary interest is in tracking actual spending an converting it into a forecasted budget. It sounds like you think Alzex would be better for that than Moneydance?
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
My primary interest is in tracking actual spending an converting it into a forecasted budget. It sounds like you think Alzex would be better for that than Moneydance?
I suppose it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Personally, I wanted to know how much we were spending each year and where. No guessing, no estimating, I wanted to download the actual transaction data for my various accounts, and total up the actual figures.

Alzex works fairly well for that. It does have some quirks, and the import process is complicated by varying standards for the CSV files from different accounts. Since I only do it about once a year I tend to have a learning curve each time and occasionally mess things up. Thankfully, it's not to hard to delete a years transactions and import again.

One of the things I like is that I can categorize our various income and expenses and be able to select or deselect items. A lot of things will show up in the imported data that aren't really income or expense items. For example, transferring money between checking and savings, or making a credit card payment. These aren't really expenses, you're just moving money around, so it's handy to be able to categorize and deselect them.

When planning for retirement, it's also nice to be able to deselect expenses we will no longer have in retirement, such as new savings or investments.

As I said, I only use MoneyDance as a checkbook, so I have no idea if it is capable of doing the same thing as Alzex. Alzex might work as a checkbook too, I don't know. I use each program for a different task and ignore a lot of the features in each program.

Also, income and expenses vary from year to year, so it's best to track things for at least a few years to get a better overall average.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL & Vermont
Posts: 29,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
My primary interest is in tracking actual spending an converting it into a forecasted budget. It sounds like you think Alzex would be better for that than Moneydance?
Quicken works real well for that. IIRC when you are doing your budget it starts with your historical spending for that category and then you and adjust it up or down as approrpriate in the circumstances.
__________________
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 11,439
For tracking actual spending I use Spending Tracker.

Everytime I spend, I enter it into the selected category.

It's free, and works on my phone so it's handy.

At the end of the month I transfer the ~20 category totals to my spreadsheet so I have a yearly total by the month, for many years.

I view spending by cash or CC as the same thing, and never look at my checking account to see if I have enough in it for the spending, as I know some of it will be used to pay off CC during the month.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,158
FWIW - Quicken Deluxe on sale for $31.19. Premier $46.79. Buy the version not labeled as "New Subscriber" and renew your existing Quicken (up to 6 months in advance of your current expiration date.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/browse...en&type=Search
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Quicken works real well for that. IIRC when you are doing your budget it starts with your historical spending for that category and then you and adjust it up or down as approrpriate in the circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
FWIW - Quicken Deluxe on sale for $31.19. Premier $46.79. Buy the version not labeled as "New Subscriber" and renew your existing Quicken (up to 6 months in advance of your current expiration date.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/browse...en&type=Search
Isn't Quicken a monthly charge?
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
jollystomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
Isn't Quicken a monthly charge?

It is a yearly subscription charge, those prices are for a 1 year subscription.

I still use Quicken 2017 primarily to see where my spending goes (more out of curiosity at this point) and portfolio value. Though it no longer downloads quotes I have managed to mostly automate the quote update process with a bit of programming.
__________________
FIREd date: June 26, 2018 - wwwwwwhat a rush!
jollystomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Software for Financial Management in Retirement? Safe Harbour FIRE and Money 31 11-03-2020 12:11 PM
Image Management Software steelyman Technology, Media & e-Gadgets 83 07-24-2019 07:11 PM
Personal Portfolio Management Software Bryan Barnfellow Stock Picking and Market Strategy 12 01-21-2015 06:07 PM
Rental Property Management Software Question LeBlanc Other topics 2 03-04-2011 11:12 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:53 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.