Join Early Retirement Today

Money Managers Liking Cash Right Now... Do You?
Old 07-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

So last night I was running Morningstar X-ray on my IRA (end of the quarter check up) and I found out that my asset allocation was out of whack. As it turns out I am holding close to 20% in cash right now (instead of th 5% I usually keep on hand for buying opportunities) because many of my funds' managers are holding huge chunks of cash at the moment. So with 15% of my IRA invested in bonds, my asset allocation is now 65% stock / 35% bonds and cash instead of the 80%/20% I usually like. What's going on? Is the stock and bond markets' outlook so bad that the wall street pros feel compelled to pile up on cash? And for those "dirty market timers", what is your outlook on the market? Do you feel like cash is king right now?
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Right now I'm not in the accumulation stage of my financial life - more preservation...so cash (CDs, MMF, Muni & Income CEFs) is about 80% right now - although I do take short term positions in equities and then back to cash when an opportunity presents itself...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
100% stocks
Old 07-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

100% stocks

I am always 100% stocks. I am just not in the same playing field as the fund managers, so I don't compare with them. Thier universe contains hundreds of stocks while mine contains thousands. I try to invest in stocks with market capital of less than 100 million and prefer the ones with less than 10 millions.
yona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You must be using actively managed funds with alot of overlap if you have that much unsuspected cash. Our asset allocation is right where we want it to be. With our ETFs and passive index funds, there is little room for cash in those.

It is true that the bond funds in our 401k have a significant fraction of cash. I consider cash to be part of my fixed income, so it doesn't bother me.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most of my index funds are in my taxable accounts. I use the IRA for managed funds and bond funds. The largest holding in my IRA is Fairholme, right now 20% in cash. I also own Pimco All Asset, right now 55% cash. Even my global bond fund is 50+% invested in cash. Finally the Vanguard Asset allocation fund (which I do not hold) is 20% cash / 80% stocks right now (it was 100% stocks a few weeks ago).
Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Cash as a % of an actively managed fund can be due to a lack of things to buy, but it can also be the result of the manager getting flooded with cash after a hot streak and taking their time about putting it to work.

I would also not read too much into the cash position of your PIMCO fund. IIRC, PIMCO likes to play games where they use unlevered, cash collateralized derivatives to replicate positions rather than own the asset outright.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

wull yeah. Duh. I like gold coins, silver, stacks of 100s paperclipped together, numbers on the ELoan and FNBO and PenFed websites. I figure it only costs me the inflation rate (read: funding the Iraqi Freedom/Democracy campaign). Pretty cheap given my stunning ability to buy high and sell on the stock market. Might not be the best for those who do well in the market.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #8

I'm in a hold strategy right now. In fact, I don't think I have purchased any new equities in over a year.

I have been saving extra money in money market accounts for a while. Even so, my equity/cash allocation has kept constant since my equities have performed really well over the past year or two.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

If you hire fund managers by buying actively managed funds, then you need to let those fund managers do their job for you, including deciding how much to hold in cash.

In particular the bond funds - holding cash is reasonable if they feel that cash is better "value" under current circumstances.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:02 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I'm in a hold strategy right now. In fact, I don't think I have purchased any new equities in over a year.

I have been saving extra money in money market accounts for a while. Even so, my equity/cash allocation has kept constant since my equities have performed really well over the past year or two.
I've been the same. Equities keep growing - to keep AA at target, cash I save from w*rking has been going to fixed income accounts.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Cash as a % of an actively managed fund can be due to a lack of things to buy, but it can also be the result of the manager getting flooded with cash after a hot streak and taking their time about putting it to work.

I would also not read too much into the cash position of your PIMCO fund. IIRC, PIMCO likes to play games where they use unlevered, cash collateralized derivatives to replicate positions rather than own the asset outright.
Spot on...........looking at Treasury yields, some managers are parking some money in short-term, while waiting for a pullback in the market to buy things on sale........almost like they feel one is imminent.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Just spot checked - Vanguard Asset Allowcation fund is holding 20% cash versus 100% stock when I looked ? months back.

They use some kind of quant model to allowcate between stocks, bonds and cash aka short term reserves.

Sooo - what's up doc?

Love my Target Retirement - let those Vanguard computer programs do my heavy lifting.

Meanwhile - the putz factor says I need to keep dinking around to find the next great Dell, Harley Davidson or other stock that's going get me that villa in the Bahamas.

heh heh heh .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #13

Cash is almost 40%, contemplating shifting more into short-term or intermediate treasury bond funds or possibly Vanguard REIT index.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting. I just read somewhere that mutual fund cash levels are near historic record lows, which is usually given as evidence of a major bull top. OP claims the opposite.

Another problem of using mutual funds: their cash levels. Of course, if you want actively managed, that is fine, out of the 7000 or whatever funds. On the other hand, there are many options where you can be sure that your investment will remain entirely, or at least mostly, in stocks or whatever, come Hell or high water...

Of course, none of that applies if you invest in a fund where you expect manager to vary the mix....I guess that is what those "blend" funds are. Not my cup of Hemlock, though.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Just spot checked - Vanguard Asset Allowcation fund is holding 20% cash versus 100% stock when I looked ? months back.

Wow, that must be really recent because I checked their AA just about a month ago and it was still pegged at 100% equities. I was a bit surprised then that they hadnt lightened the load a bit.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I noticed tha AA was 10% in cash last April...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ash-27017.html

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:40 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Swear to god, I looked at it in the month of june...maybe late may...and it was at 100% equities. Its one of the handful of things I look at from time to time to see which way the wind is blowing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the bunny,

I checked the AA of the VG Asset Allocation Fund just a few weeks ago and on the Vanguard website at least it was listed as 100% invested in equities.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Cool. I was wondering if I had started hallucinating again.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I agree with the bunny,

I checked the AA of the VG Asset Allocation Fund just a few weeks ago and on the Vanguard website at least it was listed as 100% invested in equities.
Well, a 10% correction won't bode well for that AA................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote