Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How much do you spend on your hair at each visit ? women only
Under $20 22 22.92%
$20-$30 14 14.58%
$30-$40 13 13.54%
$40-$50 6 6.25%
above $50 41 42.71%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have never been to a stylist who can afford Louie Vuitton purses. Gee, that's got to tell you something!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2010, 08:52 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You left out : Don't go

Sorry Khan ! Few of us have nice wavy gray hair like you !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I spend well over $2,000 a year on my hair.
Thanks for making me feel better. I thought the ~$130 I spend per year on haircuts was too much.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:09 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

With tip I spend $20 or $21 per visit, so I voted in the 20-30 range. I wear my hair long and only go for a cut a couple of times a year, to get the ends trimmed and evened up. I put highlights in myself at home.

I'd love to be able to trim it myself, but haven't a clue how to do that successfully. I really don't like going to a hairdresser at all - it reminds me of taking the car in for an oil change with all the upselling they try to convince me of!

For any of who do cut/trim your own hair, would you be willing to share some tips?
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #25
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We have never been to a stylist who can afford Louie Vuitton purses. Gee, that's got to tell you something!

It tells me she married well and he bought her several purses before the big D !
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moemg, my stylist is telling me the same. Business is not that great, customers are stretching out the time between appts and having less done.

My $2k is mainly spent on colour, I have only been getting my hair cut once every 3 mos. I did experiment with going grey, but hated it so much as did DH. He encouraged me to get back to the hairdresser asap to get it fixed. I tried colouring it myself, but didn't like it at all.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #27

I have my hair long for now so I go for a trim about every 4-6 months. I've have streaks of natural highlights (AKA gray hair) but I've never colored it and I don't plan on starting. Keeping up with roots sounds like a lot of work.

I had short hair for years and needed to try something different so I let it grow in. Sometimes I miss the short hair, it's naturally very curly and it was very easy to style. When it was short I trimmed it every 3 months or so.

My visits are under $20 and that includes a tip.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I spend very little on hair cuts. I have a very simple cut - long straight hair with bangs. I get the full length cut about twice a year - $11-$13. I get my bangs cut a few more times for $5, but I trim my own bangs in between so I don't have to go very often.

I used to spend more on my hair including some coloring and never trimmed my own, but fulltime RVing forced me to simplify and become as practical as possible.

RVing also forced me to wear my hair shorter. I used to wear it long past my waist. Now it's only half down my back.

LOL - yes I also have my own interesting "highlights" that appeared with age. My bangs are now mostly white but the rest of my hair streaky brown/blond/gray. Sometimes I'm even complimented on my interesting "color". My first wide white streaks (a la bride of frankenstein) appeared around age 35 which is when I switched to bangs.

Audrey
Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
With tip I spend $20 or $21 per visit, so I voted in the 20-30 range. I wear my hair long and only go for a cut a couple of times a year, to get the ends trimmed and evened up. I put highlights in myself at home.

I'd love to be able to trim it myself, but haven't a clue how to do that successfully. I really don't like going to a hairdresser at all - it reminds me of taking the car in for an oil change with all the upselling they try to convince me of!

For any of who do cut/trim your own hair, would you be willing to share some tips?
I have never colored my hair and don't plan to start. It's still mostly dark, and I hope it either stays that way like my aunt's (I think hers gets an assist from Grecian Formula, though) or turns beautiful silvery white like my mom's. But whatever color it turns, that's the color it will stay. I rarely cut my hair except to trim off split ends if they get really frazzly, so I can't help you with that either.

I used to wear my hair in an Afro, because when straightened it reverts to its natural texture if it gets wet. Since it takes several hours for me to wash, dry, and re-straighten it, it wasn't practical to wear it straight when I worked outdoors in a rainy climate. Back then, I had it cut by a hairdresser, which I think used to cost me about $60 every few months. But when I switched over to an office job about 7 years ago, I started straightening my hair again. I used to have that done by a hairdresser too, earlier in my life. Up until my college days I lived in California, and my hairdresser down there was one of the old-timey stylists. She had been doing hair forever, and she could put what they called a "hard" press on my hair and it would stay straight unless I went swimming or something. She didn't charge an arm and a leg to do it, either! Then I moved up to Seattle and couldn't find a hairdresser that could deal with my hair, which is very thick and (to call it by a politically incorrect term) nappy. It would make good dreadlocks if I let it. Anyway, when I came up here the hairdressers charged twice as much and only got my hair half as straight! I don't know if they even teach the students how to press hair really straight in cosmetology school any more. I remember getting my hair done once on a misty day and I could feel it fluffing up as soon as I walked out of the shop into that damp air.

I couldn't find anyone who would do my hair the way I wanted it done, so I learned to do it myself.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:04 AM   #30

I go for a cut about every 6 weeks. I wear my hair in a sort of medium length layered style...cost is $35.00 with tip. Two or three times a year I get foil wraps along with the cut...cost about $100.00 with tip. If I had thick, wavy hair I could just walk-in anywhere and get a trim as this sort of hair is more forgiving. I don't need color often as my hair has minimal gray strands, and the wraps make my hair just about one shade lighter than my own medium brown. The "natural" look is easier to maintain. Besides, my eyebrows and lashes are dark brown...can't get too light on top. I don't routinely use any styling products as I think my hair looks pretty good with just a five minute blow-out with a styling brush.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Well it looks like we are pretty evenly divided on the hair amount . If it was just cuts most of us would be in the $30-$40 range . It's the color that ups the amount . I'd love to be one of those women with great gray hair . They usually have ultra stylish cuts and are on there way to yoga in a size 4 leotard . I'm more the water aerobics type were multiple hair colors rule ( a lot of Nice & easy doers ) and none of us are in size 4 suits but we are a fun bunch . If I needed to tweak my budget I could cut my hair cost drastically but for now it stays .
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #32

I pay $20 plus tip most months. I decided to get some low lights in Feb just before my cruise. That worked out fairly well for me. The color was too dark at first but now it's very natural looking with natural grey showing thru in places. The low lights cost me $75 but I probably won't have it done but once or twice a year. I wear my hair short and get it cut on average every 6 weeks.
happy2bretired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #33
Administrator

Another vote for a $0.00 option here.... I have long hair and cut an inch or so off every month (or get hubby to do it) and trim bangs when they begin to annoy me.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

The people I know who have the prettiest gray hair got it the hard way, after chemo.

I didn't even start coloring my hair til my mid-40s, when it had grayed out to a very unflattering palette--dark battleship gray at the lower back and some mousy brown on the top with some industrial steel-colored threads throughout, and it didn't look good with any color of clothing or makeup and it made my green eyes look blah. So hello color .
Old 05-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The people I know who have the prettiest gray hair got it the hard way, after chemo.

I didn't even start coloring my hair til my mid-40s, when it had grayed out to a very unflattering palette--dark battleship gray at the lower back and some mousy brown on the top with some industrial steel-colored threads throughout, and it didn't look good with any color of clothing or makeup and it made my green eyes look blah. So hello color .
I love the color of your hair, on the photos thread. It is beautiful and looks so natural with your eyes and skin tone as well. I would never have guessed that it was colored.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Well, I voted for DW. She spends $70 per visit (with tip).
DW spends about $80-$100 for a cut and color and wax

Can gay men reply to? The thread title is somewhat prejudicial LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

I also did not start with the coloring until late 40's when my hair became very dark and very mousey looking . I 'll go gray the year after my siter does . No way am I going to let her look younger than me .
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
DW spends about $80-$100 for a cut and color and wax

Can gay men reply to? The thread title is somewhat prejudicial LOL

Most men gay or not do not spend a lot on their hair . They go for cuts only . Guys for some reason look great with gray hair , white hair or no hair !
Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Guys for some reason look great with gray hair , white hair or no hair !
Yes, life is unfair. A bald woman would get a lot of stares, but bald men, well, am I in the minority to have so much hair? In fact I often envy guys with no hair, as it means my head would be cooler in this AZ heat. Why don't I shave it? Well, I don't think I look good without hair, and secondly the many little stubbles would drive me insane, I am afraid.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, life is unfair. A bald woman would get a lot of stares, but bald men, well, am I in the minority to have so much hair? In fact I often envy guys with no hair, as it means my head would be cooler in this AZ heat. Why don't I shave it? Well, I don't think I look good without hair, and secondly the many little stubbles would drive me insane, I am afraid.
Got any recent photos?