Monthly cost of toiletries

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
OK, I'm doing my annual review of expenses and am wondering what other people spend on toiletries every month. I lump all of them in with groceries. This would include soap, shampoo, toothpaste, laundry detergent, contact solution, etc...basically stuff that keeps you looking presentable and functioning. Looks like right around $30 from what I can gather.

Like NML, we lump it all under groceries, but I appreciate having something else to think about besides the declining value of my investments!

I could track it and give you a more definitive answer next month. I would assume that gender may make a difference, but it could be that a metrosexual guy spends more than some of us old hippie females! And you would probably also need to look at how much a person spends in grooming services (like getting hair colored at a salon would preclude the person buying it themselves, but would cost way more to get it done by a professional).

I lump them in with groceries, too. I think maybe less than $5 a month though I really don't know. I buy low priced brands of soap and shampoo. Name brand deodorant and toothpaste for one don't amount to much. Detergent is expensive and I use Tide liquid, but I use half the amount recommended. Detergent would be the main expense. Other than detergent I would say $1-$2 per month maybe?

Now some of the women at work who color their hair spend $120/month or more on hair coloring, cuts, and appointments at the most upscale of hair salons. I spend $11 every 3 months on a "senior" haircut at Supercuts because I want to be able to retire eventually. ;)

Last edited:
Deodorant + soap + toothpaste + disposable razors.
Two or three bucks at the most. Not exactly a metrosexual marketing dream. :D

I am not sure but I would guess $15 to $20 a year for two.

Last edited:
I lump them in with groceries, too. I think maybe less than $5 a month though I really don't know. I buy low priced brands of soap and shampoo. Name brand deodorant and toothpaste for one don't amount to much. Detergent is expensive and I use Tide liquid, but I use half the amount recommended. Detergent would be the main expense. Other than detergent I would say $1-$2 per month maybe?

Now some of the women at work who color their hair spend $120/month or more on hair coloring, cuts, and appointments at the most upscale of hair salons. I spend $11 every 3 months on a "senior" haircut at Supercuts because I want to be able to retire eventually. ;)

I use Want2retire's trick too. We use half the detergent it says too. Remember they are in the business to sell detergent.

I hope things never get that bad where I start tracking toilet paper.

I still have a gallon of shampoo from 15 years ago (solidifies when house is below 60F).

Have a razor sharpener so use same disposable razor for 6 months.

Shower 3 days a week (sponge bath other days).

Buy toiletries at grocery store and don't separate.

Deodorant soap toothpaste toner moisturizer...

I'll guess $10/month

Hmmm, I often take 3 showers in one day.

Actually you could skip TP. Use hand and water. We also use less than the recommend amount of detergent. Clothes seem to come out clean. I cut my own hair since I just get a number 1 cut. Right down to the noggin. Saves money doing it myself. The clipper was around 40.00 it has paid for itself several times over. In retirement I suppose you could also do without any deodorant. Really who cares if you stink. ^-^ The only reason why you should brush your teeth is to reduce expense down the road of having to get new ones.

Wow, I'm trying to figure out if my $30 guesstimate is reasonable as you are all coming in lower.

Gel/shampoo - 3 (half a bottle of each in a month I guess)
Contact solution - 6 (almost a full bottle)
Toothpaste/floss - 2
Kleenex/toilet paper - 2 or 3
Deodorant - 2
Detergent - 3 (I also use about 1/2 recommended amount)
Shaving cream - 2

So about 20 bucks total.

It does not include razors and I have a very thick beard so I typically go through 2 fusion razors a week but I get them from Ebay super cheap. Probably another $10 there easily to get to my $30 total. I've thought about switching to a safety razor which is how people shaved in the old days....much better and cheaper but haven't done so yet. Usually I only buy this stuff at Walmart as it's so much cheaper versus the grocery store. Normally I go once every few months to stock up and it's usually not a cheap trip...maybe these last longer than I think they do and I'm really spending alot less....I feel another category coming up in my Excel tracking.

I keep track of haircuts separately.

My opinion is that is doesn't cost much for a man, so we can just ignore it. A woman gets value from cosmetics and stuff, so she has to decide what they are worth to her.

My plan is to never find myself with a woman who needs to scrimp on this stuff, unless she is 18. And I haven't had a lot of luck with that age group so far.

ha

My opinion is that is doesn't cost much for a man, so we can just ignore it. A woman gets value from cosmetics and stuff, so she has to decide what they are worth to her.

My plan is to never find myself with a woman who needs to scrimp on this stuff, unless she is 18. And I haven't had a lot of luck with that age group so far.

ha

No comparison in my household :D I dont say a word either. ;)

Monthly:
razor - $0.10
1/2 shaving cream - $0.50
1/4 shampoo - $0.33
2 bars soap - $0.85
1/6 toothbrush - $0.22
1/2 tube toothpaste - $.85
1 stick deodorant - $1.66
Mouthwash, floss - $2

$6.51 total a month?

My wife - $50 a month?? Many bottles of creams, unguents, lotions, soaps, conditioner, shampoo, body wash, etc. etc. etc.

Let's not get started on imbalances in TP consumption between men and women. ;)

The only reason why you should brush your teeth is to reduce expense down the road of having to get new ones.

It's a losing proposition anyway. The sooner you yank and replace them all, the more money you save.

Just kidding. Still trying to keep my real ones.:D

Actually you could skip TP. Use hand and water. We also use less than the recommend amount of detergent. Clothes seem to come out clean. I cut my own hair since I just get a number 1 cut. Right down to the noggin. Saves money doing it myself. The clipper was around 40.00 it has paid for itself several times over. In retirement I suppose you could also do without any deodorant. Really who cares if you stink. ^-^ The only reason why you should brush your teeth is to reduce expense down the road of having to get new ones.

Yuck!

Monthly:
razor - $0.10
1/2 shaving cream - $0.50
1/4 shampoo - $0.33
2 bars soap - $0.85
1/6 toothbrush - $0.22
1/2 tube toothpaste - $.85
1 stick deodorant - $1.66
Mouthwash, floss - $2

$6.51 total a month?

My wife - $50 a month?? Many bottles of creams, unguents, lotions, soaps, conditioner, shampoo, body wash, etc. etc. etc.

Let's not get started on imbalances in TP consumption between men and women. ;)

Based on all the descriptions of women's behavior, I have determined that I am not really a woman.

Back
Top Bottom