Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

monthly pension vs. lump sum
Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

monthly pension vs. lump sum

My wife will be offered a choice of a monthly pension of ~$48k a year or a lump sum payment of ~500k. She is employed by a large national bank. Which one should we take and why?

kbst
kbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you have the option of a joint and survivor at 50% payout?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #3
Administrator

Is the pension COLA'ed? What is your wife's age?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How old is your wife? In general it appears to me the yearly payout is far superior and better than you could get with any annuity assuming your wife is within the 55-65 age bracket. A relatively "safe" 4 percent withdrawl rate on the 500K would result in 20K per year meaning you could/should use that as your retirement income level and increase with inflation and bank the remainder 28K less any taxes in savings for future years.

I calculate on my excel sheet if you assume 4% inflation 40% marginal tax on the amount over the inflated 20K each year that would be available for savings and ability to earn 5.5% on the balance that it will be 23 years before the $48,000 per year will be insufficient to meet the inflated 20K per year demand. At that time the balance assuming 5.5% after tax earnings on the after tax money would be 501K while the balance on the original 500K would be 361K. At a 6.3% after tax return is required for the balances after 23 years are equal, yet you would still be receiving the $48,000 per year from the pension, so I think you can see the 48K is a far greater value.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

$48K annual pension? Will she marry me?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbst View Post
My wife will be offered a choice of a monthly pension of ~$48k a year or a lump sum payment of ~500k. She is employed by a large national bank. Which one should we take and why?

kbst
Lots of good explanations already mentioned for $48K pension probably the good choice.

Another reason, if she takes the lump, then she and you have to worry about *managing* that lump or paying someone to manage it for you, and making it last the rest of her and maybe your lives.

Assuming the pension is from a large pension fund, it already has the professional management, which by the way is "free of charge", as her $48k pension is net of all fund management expenses.

Unless she is in ill health with very short life expectancy, or she is already 92 or something, the the lump amount promised does not live up to the $48k monthly pension.

One other thought---what is the funded ratio of the pension plan. That is, how fiscally sound is it? Assuming that checks out, go for the monthly. If there are serious questions on the financial well-being of the plan over the longhaul, then consider the lump.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I will have this option as well, and one issue I have considered is that if my wife and I are both killed in an auto accident (as an example) 6 months after I retire, my monthly pension is gone... If, however, I take it as a lump sum, it's mine and my estate's to do with or invest as I will. Another issue is that should you need a large influx of cash, (due to illness, as another example) you won't be able to get it from the monthly payment, but you could tap the lump sum. Mine is a non-cola pension...
Puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzley View Post
I will have this option as well, and one issue I have considered is that if my wife and I are both killed in an auto accident (as an example) 6 months after I retire, my monthly pension is gone... If, however, I take it as a lump sum, it's mine and my estate's to do with or invest as I will. Another issue is that should you need a large influx of cash, (due to illness, as another example) you won't be able to get it from the monthly payment, but you could tap the lump sum. Mine is a non-cola pension...
Life is a gamble I agree. One thing DW and I have done to cover this possibility is take out life insurance to cover this as I wil be taking the pension in a couple of years time, and also opting for a 25% survivor benefit as the difference is greater than the life insurance premiums.

In the example in this thread the choice is between $48k/year or $500K lump sum. I'm sure I would take the $48k/year plus take out life insurance. The amount of insurance needed will be dependent on the survivor benefit, which is one of the 1st questions asked.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Do you have the option of a joint and survivor at 50% payout?
There is that option with a lower annual payout ~ 40k
kbst
Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Is the pension COLA'ed? What is your wife's age?
It isn't COLA'ed. She's 59 and will take the pension at 62.
kbst
Old 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
kbst
I'd take that option, just in case. Do you NEED the entire $40K or $48K to meet expenses?

Lots of options.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
How old is your wife? In general it appears to me the yearly payout is far superior and better than you could get with any annuity assuming your wife is within the 55-65 age bracket. A relatively "safe" 4 percent withdrawl rate on the 500K would result in 20K per year meaning you could/should use that as your retirement income level and increase with inflation and bank the remainder 28K less any taxes in savings for future years.

I calculate on my excel sheet if you assume 4% inflation 40% marginal tax on the amount over the inflated 20K each year that would be available for savings and ability to earn 5.5% on the balance that it will be 23 years before the $48,000 per year will be insufficient to meet the inflated 20K per year demand. At that time the balance assuming 5.5% after tax earnings on the after tax money would be 501K while the balance on the original 500K would be 361K. At a 6.3% after tax return is required for the balances after 23 years are equal, yet you would still be receiving the $48,000 per year from the pension, so I think you can see the 48K is a far greater value.
She's 59 and will take the pension at 62. 2 years after we retire. So the only way we could go wrong with the monthly pension is if inflation is very high?
kbst
Old 11-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
$48K annual pension? Will she marry me?
hope not
kbst
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She's 59 and will take the pension at 62. 2 years after we retire. So the only way we could go wrong with the monthly pension is if inflation is very high?
kbst
Well, SS is COLA'd to "some extent", and I guess we are assuming your have funds in the market, like 401K's or non-qualified mutual funds as an inflation hedge??

Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #15

Quote:
It isn't COLA'ed. She's 59 and will take the pension at 62.
kbst
Another thought is what other assets do you and DW have? If you will already be getting sufficient income to live comfortably without a pension for her, that might point you toward lump.

But just from a pure finanacial standpoint of maximizing total dollars to be received, all other things being equal, the $40k with survivorship or the $48k single life monthly pension both look better to me than the $500k lump.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Lots of good explanations already mentioned for $48K pension probably the good choice.

Another reason, if she takes the lump, then she and you have to worry about *managing* that lump or paying someone to manage it for you, and making it last the rest of her and maybe your lives.

Assuming the pension is from a large pension fund, it already has the professional management, which by the way is "free of charge", as her $48k pension is net of all fund management expenses.

Unless she is in ill health with very short life expectancy, or she is already 92 or something, the the lump amount promised does not live up to the $48k monthly pension.

One other thought---what is the funded ratio of the pension plan. That is, how fiscally sound is it? Assuming that checks out, go for the monthly. If there are serious questions on the financial well-being of the plan over the longhaul, then consider the lump.
How wouild you find out what the funded ratio is?
kbst
Old 11-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How wouild you find out what the funded ratio is?
kbst
It should be available from the folks who are running the pension plan, or maybe a quick call to HR.

Most banks are good at putting aside enough to meet their pensioner's ongoing payments.........

Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzley View Post
Well, If you also have a $500K or 48K per year option that means with cash of 1 mil. for both of you your safe WR of 4% is 40K/yr. vs. 96K/yr. pension.

I would just save $56K/yr. to pay for unknown things or to build up an estate.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I'd take that option, just in case. Do you NEED the entire $40K or $48K to meet expenses?

Lots of options.
We don't really need it all as we will have ~120k income with ~80k expenses after 2 years. We are thinking seriously about taking the 50% surviver option as I'm 12 years younger.
kbst
Old 11-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
kbst
The difference between the 2 options is $8k/year. Insurance policy to cover you for $500K may well be much less than that, I'd look into that before deciding. With 40k/year, and she dies you get $20k/year. If you get a $500K policy for $4k/year you still get equivalent of $20k/year but you have an extra $4k/year while she is still alive.