Join Early Retirement Today

More economic doom 'n' gloom
Old 04-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

More economic doom 'n' gloom

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060407/economy.html?.v=17

Quote:
Employers boosted payrolls by a sizable 211,000 in March in a springtime hiring burst that pushed the unemployment rate down to 4.7 percent.

The latest snapshot of the U.S. job market, released by the Labor Department Friday, suggested that an accelerating economic expansion is putting companies in the hiring mood, brightening prospects for those seeking work...

Hiring gains were fairly widespread. Construction, retailers, financial activities, education and health care, and government were among the sectors posting payroll gains. That help to blunt job losses in manufacturing and in the transportation industries.

The unemployment rate, which dropped from February's 4.8 percent, ended up matching January's jobless rate, which was the lowest in 4 1/2 years.
Is it too much to expect the usual suspects not to find the cloudy lining on all that silver?
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: More economic doom 'n' gloom
Old 04-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060407/economy.html?.v=17

Is it too much to expect the usual suspects not to find the cloudy lining on all that silver?
This is a lot like dinosaurs mating right before their extinction.

The Dow Jones dropped almost 100 points today also.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
This is a lot like dinosaurs mating right before their extinction.
Sounds like a good way to end an era.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There are two minor quibbles with the jobs number.

One is that it doesnt measure the people who no longer consider themselves "unemployed and looking for work" after they quit looking.

The other is that it includes "invented" jobs. If the economic numbers are positive, the jobs folks decide that there must be jobs being created that they cant measure, so they create a bunch of jobs that they didnt measure and add them to the number. Discounting the possibility that during positive economic expansion some businesses dont hire new people. Or the the economic expansion just isnt as good as its portrayed. Since the 'new jobs' folks cant accurately measure small business job growth, this is how they put that together.

Anyone notice an acceleration of new small businesses cropping up in their neighborhoods? Me neither.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Anyone notice an acceleration of new small businesses cropping up in their neighborhoods?
I have.

Old 04-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

How much do the "massages" cost these days?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There are two minor quibbles with the jobs number.
Me too. It doesn't work and it's misleading.

Business Week reviewed the "process" a couple years ago and came up with a fudge factor of +/- 100,000 jobs. Since that's frequently the number of the week, that means there were either zero or 200,000 jobs. Pick your interpretation and go on CNBC.

Quote:
Anyone notice an acceleration of new small businesses cropping up in their neighborhoods? Me neither.
Actually I have. I'm especially intrigued by the guy opening his second "Cartridge World" franchise, and when I see the traffic through the first one I wonder if he's looking for a little equity from a silent partner.

Hawaii's been the most-employed state in the nation for something like 13 months now, with a 2.5% unemployment figure. That's quite an achievement for a state whose anti-business stance is only behind CA & MA. I wasn't kidding about Laurence's brother!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyone notice an acceleration of new small businesses cropping up in their neighborhoods?* Me neither.
Not sure what the "invented jobs" adjustment you're referring to is. *But the official unemployment number does not include the self-employed. *I can't speak for others, but my wife is officially "unemployed" according to the government yet she earned more last year than any year she was counted as "employed". *Her status as "unemployed" didn't stop the government from confiscating collecting a healthy share of her earnings though.

Incidentally, I'm not sure you would necessarily know if small businesses were cropping up in your neighborhood. Not all businesses have store fronts. Many are consulting/freelancing arrangements which could be done out of a home office and you would never know. Including my wife, I know 5 people who are former professionals turned freelancers - probably many more where they came from.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am a software engineer in Silicon Valley. The job market is great here right now, which is a big shift from, say, three years ago. Recruiters are cold calling folks to try to fill positions, one of my friends (I have this guy's old position at my current company) is a manager and he has essentially "unlimited requisitions" according to an email to me last week, virtually everyone is hiring, etc.

Basically, the job market here has slowly been getting better here year after year since mid-2002 until now it is amazing. A lot of folks I know who thought they were doomed because of offshoring have been wrong, in the short term, at least. There is also lots and lots of venture capital money flowing.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Anyone notice an acceleration of new small businesses cropping up in their neighborhoods?* Me neither.
In the Boston area I've seen plenty of new small business startups, especially in the past 5 years.

Until about 5 years ago there were about a dozen empty lots in my neighborhood that were empty for the prior 10-15 years. All of them have been built upon and are being occupied by new small businesses like restaurants and fast-food joints, gas stations, auto repair, laundomats, and (for the life of me I can't figure out why) local banks.

Something good is happening in the economy, but only time will tell if it will get even better and last.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:58 PM   #11

I guess Cute Fuzzy Bunny should eat some more carrots.. "What's up, eye doc?"
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I guess the key word in what I said was "acceleration". All y'all are proving the point that at best, its guesswork.

Basing a key economic number on an estimate of a guess as a factor of another economic number thats an estimate of some measures and not others...

Nords got the point.

This isnt science, its a bunch of economists reviewing a bunch of economists consolidation of a bunch of economists work to determine an economists wet dream of measuring what cant really be accurately measured.

Then it gets rolled up into an employment number or a CPI figure, gets slapped on the headline at the business news channel, and we're off to the races.

The very definition of the term...Bullshit!
Old 04-07-2006, 11:29 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I know the job market is heating up in my industry too. I have gotten about 2X the cold calls from Head hunters over the past couple of months compared to the past few years. I know my company has over 200 open positions in NY alone. We always have 20+ jobs unfilled at any one time because we can't find qualifed people. We are seeing increases in the internet jobs sites, classified listings in the newpaper and HH cold calls. Something is going one. They are also in a building spree with new office space which seems to fill up as fast as they can build them.

Makes one wonder anyway.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #14

Unemployment rate calculations are not perfect, but they are much more than a WAG. There is a lot of survey and sampling that goes into the numbers. The US bureau of Labor Statistics sampling techniques are pretty transparent and detailed. Sampling error on any given week can be high, but over a longer period of time, the figures probably good indicators of what's going on with employment.

US Bureau of Labor Statistics:
http://www.bls.gov/

Employment and Unemployment:
http://www.bls.gov/bls/employment.htm

National Employment Survey:
http://www.bls.gov/ces/home.htm

National Unemployment Rate:
http://www.bls.gov/cps/home.htm

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:44 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess it just depends on where you are. Come to Michigan the home of "where the work used to be". No business expansion here - but a lot of unemployed and underemployed. My son- in-law is living in Florida away from my daughter so he can work and my early retirement is as much of lack of business as a desire to do so.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #16

mysto, Michigan and Ontario need to work closely together, they keep shifting auto jobs down South, we wil all be seeing our Grand Kids only at Christmas.

Jobs are being created, but they are not of the same quality or Benefits previously enjoyed, companies hire Contract Workers, No benefits, Fixed contract, and "I don't care if you have an MBA, you are still a Receptionist".
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:53 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nords got the point.

This isnt science, its a bunch of economists reviewing a bunch of economists consolidation of a bunch of economists work to determine an economists wet dream of measuring what cant really be accurately measured.

Then it gets rolled up into an employment number or a CPI figure, gets slapped on the headline at the business news channel, and we're off to the races.

The very definition of the term...Bull****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Business Week reviewed the "process" a couple years ago and came up with a fudge factor of +/- 100,000 jobs.* Since that's frequently the number of the week, that means there were either zero or 200,000 jobs.* Pick your interpretation and go on CNBC.
I think both of you might be missing the larger point, which is understandable because the financial press has it wrong too.

To Nords point that the monthly unemployment report may have a "fudge factor of +/- 100,000 jobs" is probably true. It is also completely irrelevant! Total U.S. employment stands at 143,600,000. 100,000 jobs +/- is an error of 0.07% (a.k.a 0.0007) . . . so what? In fact, if that is all the error is, I'd say the stats are pretty darn good.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I just reviewed a recording the UCTV program I mentioned on another thread.* I will try to digest presentation and post there today,* BUT.. one of the significant comments he made is that housing prices are sustained by JOBS.*

The import of this is that if the employment level in a community falls significantly home prices will follow over time.* The cost of selling a home, moving and buying (or renting) another are significant so households that do not need to move won't put their house on the market.* Homes will be less liquid (will stay on the market longer) and prices will flatten or trend downward.*
Old 04-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Sampling error on any given week can be high, but over a longer period of time, the figures probably good indicators of what's going on with employment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
I think both of you might be missing the larger point, which is understandable because the financial press has it wrong too.*
To Nords point that the monthly unemployment report may have a "fudge factor of +/- 100,000 jobs" is probably true.* It is also completely irrelevant!* Total U.S. employment stands at 143,600,000.* 100,000 jobs +/- is an error of 0.07% (a.k.a 0.0007) . . . so what?* In fact, if that is all the error is, I'd say the stats are pretty darn good.
Well, excuse the #$%^ out of me for reporting what investors and the media do about a figure that's widely reported in the media.

Your points are extremely logical, correct, and agreed with. My point is that the employment figure isn't reported like most polls that say "xx samples with an error of +/- 3%". It's reported as "Employment rises 100,000!" without the additional detail that the figure reported may be +/- 100,000. Sure the sampling error flattens out over time. Sure the fudge factor is irrelevant.

But the bad info is treated as gospel on CNBC and acted on anyway. If you statistics Vulcans aren't on the job to interpret these figures for the great unwashed public investor, then irrational behavior is bound to take place.

I also think that, if errors are identified in the survey process, that a better process could be developed. But that's probably not deemed to be cost effective, and CNBC would probably lose a lot of sound bites...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My point exactly. What the facts are and whats reported with the subsequent knee jerk investor reactions are not necessarily the same.

This is why "systems" dont work. Try predicting which funny number will be reported and which direction the herd will run when they hear it...