More Expensive Home Purchase After FIRE

We carefully planned out our forever house, which was more expensive/sqft.

We very intentionally sought out very durable and long lasting/low maintenance items. Some of these were more expensive, but will be less expensive in the long run.

Part of our thinking was to minimize ongoing bills.
As an example, we paid for 35 years of electricity up front (solar panels).
We also spent the extra money for a steel roof. This will last us the rest of our lives, and saves on maintenance and energy bills.
Designed so we can live on the main floor only, we can age in place. Saving us the need to move unless we require severe healthcare.

We carefully planned out our forever house, which was more expensive/sqft.

We very intentionally sought out very durable and long lasting/low maintenance items. Some of these were more expensive, but will be less expensive in the long run.

Part of our thinking was to minimize ongoing bills.
As an example, we paid for 35 years of electricity up front (solar panels).
We also spent the extra money for a steel roof. This will last us the rest of our lives, and saves on maintenance and energy bills.
Designed so we can live on the main floor only, we can age in place. Saving us the need to move unless we require severe healthcare.

On our new house we are doing the same. All one level, metal roof. Xeriscape yard, etc.

Well, we made an offer on a house that is about twice as expensive as the one we're in now. We'll see what happens........to be continued.... Thanks to all for your responses.

Congratulations on deciding to make an offer, and good luck! Very exciting times and I am happy for you.

Setting aside chatter about % of NW, yes, I spent more on the house I bought after ER.

The one I left sold for ~$350,000 and the one I bought was > $500,000, Not comparable, though. New one is in a different part of FL, 600 miles from the old one. It was new construction, 30% larger, in a gated community and 1 mile to the beach. Old house was built in 1966 and 10 miles from the coast.

To your implied question-I was comfortable spending more. Could have done dollar-to-dollar when I moved, but that would have put me 10+ miles from the beach and having to use the one road used by hundreds of people for their commute-not the life I was looking for.

I agree with others that it's not the absolute cost of the house that matters, it's the affordability. It was jarring to realize I turned into a "monthly payment buyer" at this point in my life, but preserving investment assets was/is more important than being mortgage free.

Anyone else buy a substantially more expensive house after retiring?

Sort of. We actually purchased in Paradise mid-c*reer. Then we "upgraded" shortly after moving to Paradise. Reported elsewhere in the Forum, the value ratio was about 4 to 1, Paradise to Mainland.

Weird thing is that our property taxes are now lower than when we owned an "average" house in an "average" place. Just one of those convenient flukes of Living 808, so YMMV.

I think that's a very good point.

They always say don't spend more than 30% of your income on your housing. Probably for the simple fact it only leaves 70% of the budget for bills.

When we bought our home it was right around 30% of our income. Lucky for us our income has gone up but I refinanced so the payment went up too, but we pay less interest and are done in half the time as the old note...

I still owe about 300k on the house. We have more than that in investments but are not yet ER and still accumulating... so technically the % of net worth would be very disproportionate for us. We are comfortable with our housing payment now at 15% of our gross income. Which for ER's equated to your SWR.

Sold our house after 25+ years and bought a more expensive condo. This is CA so we lost our cheap Prop 13 taxes, went from $2K to $6k, but DW is happy and going in for cancer surgery in two days and I don't give a rats a$$ about $.

Sold our house after 25+ years and bought a more expensive condo. This is CA so we lost our cheap Prop 13 taxes, went from $2K to $6k, but DW is happy and going in for cancer surgery in two days and I don't give a rats a$$ about $.

I can totally appreciate this view point. My sister saved a ridiculous amount only to be diagnosed with Cancer at 45, now at 47 she is looking like she is nearing the end of her short life. Maybe a year or 2 left, certainly not 2 GOOD years.. GRRR..

TIME > $$$

Here is hoping for a good outcome yakers!:flowers:

Kg, I am so sorry about your sister.

Just sold my 65 acre farm and home that I no longer have the energy to maintain..We are presently building our new home that is slightly larger than the one we sold.We are going from a rural area where our property taxes are $1800.00/yr to a metropolitan area near our daughter and grand boys west of Ft. Worth, TX. where our property taxes will be around $9000.00/ yr..This literally makes me sick but we are not getting younger and cannot take our money with us when we go so I'm looking forward to enjoying our only child and only grandchildren...Life is good and then you die..

Well, after some negotiation, our offer was accepted. Next, we'll get the inspections completed and then there will probably be another round of negotiations on the items the inspection identifies. What timing. Commit to buy an expensive house and the market nosedives. Oh well, not completely unexpected.

Congrats! Hope it all works out for you..

I find it interesting in how differently people view houses in their retirement..Most seem to move down into smaller less expensive homes in retirement..We are doing just he opposite..We lived frugally in our earning days so we could better enjoy our retirement..I had a very small mortgage our first 17 years of marriage..We then built the house we just sold and paid cash for it..That was 29 years ago. Now we are building a very nice and expensive house that will also have no mortgage..I say all that just to say that what is right for one fella may not be right for another..I learned at a young age for me at least that I did not want to be in debt and that it is much easier to have a lower standard of living that is always rising than to have a higher standard of living that I have to adjust down..But that's just me...Ain't America great!!!

Some states stick it to homeowners. Some spread the costs around. We pay $2082 year for a half million dollar plus home. We also pay a 4.6% state income tax that almost every wage earner contributes to. I think that is fair.

Some states stick it to everyone.

I live in NY. My home is worth approximately $300K. The taxes are over $10K/year. For that I get to have my own well, septic, garbage (none included in the taxes). I also get to have a high state income tax rate. My road hasn't been paved in the 20+ years I've lived here, instead every couple/few years they put some tar plus loose stone down and let everyone drive on it for a few weeks (with stones bouncing and hitting your car and dust everywhere).

But, the biggest aggravation (to me) is that I get to hear politicians here tell me I'm not paying my 'fair' share.

I like my house, don't even mind the cold weather - but I will eventually be leaving here for greener pastures - 10K/year plus high income taxes goes a long way in other places.

Either way, our annual spending averages less than half of what Firecalc considers safe.

Given this I would do whatever I wanted to (within reason).

Anyone else buy a substantially more expensive house after retiring?

I guess we did. We actually started out with an expensive home and downsized soon after DH retired and I semi retired. Subsequently we bought a smaller, less expensive home.

About two years ago we decided to move to a different area in the same state. My main home criteria was being closer to amenities (we had been 20 minutes from a grocery store). We bought a house that was even smaller but due to location was a bit more expensive (about 10% more than the house we had sold). We have since down an extensive remodel. No regrets. We love the better location.

I love Texas..We have no income tax but the property taxes are horrendous. The tax on my house is 2.1% of appraised value..Appraised value is less than market value but funding the schools on the backs of home owners is not fair..

I live in NY. My home is worth approximately $300K. The taxes are over $10K/year. For that I get to have my own well, septic, garbage (none included in the taxes). I also get to have a high state income tax rate. My road hasn't been paved in the 20+ years I've lived here, instead every couple/few years they put some tar plus loose stone down and let everyone drive on it for a few weeks (with stones bouncing and hitting your car and dust everywhere).

But, the biggest aggravation (to me) is that I get to hear politicians here tell me I'm not paying my 'fair' share.

I like my house, don't even mind the cold weather - but I will eventually be leaving here for greener pastures - 10K/year plus high income taxes goes a long way in other places.
Smart

I love Texas..We have no income tax but the property taxes are horrendous. The tax on my house is 2.1% of appraised value..Appraised value is less than market value but funding the schools on the backs of home owners is not fair..

In Texas also. Once you are 65 you get the over 65 exemption which, among other things, will freeze school taxes. Over time that makes a huge difference.

I live in NY. My house is worth approximately $300K. The taxes are over $10K/year. For that I get to have my own well, septic, garbage (none included in the taxes). I also get to have a high state income tax rate. My road hasn't been paved in the 20+ years I've lived here, instead every couple/few years they put some tar plus loose stone down and let everyone drive on it for a few weeks (with stones bouncing and hitting your car and dust everywhere).

We just moved from Hudson Valley, NY where we lived all of our lives. I get it! We retired. We just sold our last home of 32 years- a saltbox colonial. Originally paid $208,000 for it and put 100's of thousands into it over the years- $100,000 most recently into an almost total remodel of every room. We loved the house, and we had 10 1/2 acres of wooded property and tons of privacy and so forth.

Taxes were close to $10,000. Same with our roads- horrible. Hated what has happened to NY politically. And traffic on main highway was becoming a nightmare.

Only child is in NH so we bought a new construction home less than 1/2 the size of our previous one- one level but with huge walk out basement- on a postage stamp sized lot with homes right next to each other. Like a 55+ community but is not age restricted. Can walk to the big lake and boardwalk. Conveniences 4 miles in any direction. Property taxes are half of NY's. No income or sales tax. HOA fees are $150- clubhouse and pool and snow plowing the road and trash pick up and mowing and upkeep of tiny lots.

House ended up costing us around $275,000 (with appliances). Started at $249,000 but you know how with new builds everything you do is an "upgrade". We do need to do radon mitigation (it is the granite state!). We finally bought a big TV and a little electric stove (no fireplace in this model home- no room). Need to buy a mattress and another ceiling fan. Bought medicine cabinets as builder did not supply mirrors in the bathrooms! And bought towel cars for the bathrooms, things like that. Bought some shelving for the basement, but not going to finish it. One car garage and 2 car driveway. Front porch. House will need some money put into it within the next 2 years, like sealing the garage and basement floors and some other things like maybe a while house generator like we used to have at our last home, but we still have to get used to no income coming in and living on cash for now as directed by our FA, so trying to go slow and be a little frugal. Keeping it simple, this time around.

So we totally downsized but were able to use the furniture we had and got rid of the rest before we moved. This new house is no where near as nice as our big home was in amenities and finishes and so on, but it is the right thing for us at this stage of life. I was determined NOT to spend more on a house than what we got for our former home, which was $317,000. And that was before moving expenses- we had to move twice- once into an expensive rental for 5 months until our new home was completed. Then there was the real estate fees, the atty fees, home inspection fees, etc etc.

One thing I do know- I will never move again. It was really hard at our age. I never want to go through it again but glad we are here now.

Last edited:
We DREAM of our property taxes bein under $6k a year, but we do get a lot for it.

Alabama has no property taxes on those that are disabled. My wife went on disability when she was early 50's, and it's sure nice to be tax free.

But our $386K assessed lake house has $1100 yearly taxes. The surrounding states are considered low in taxes, and they're 4x our normal property taxes if located in cities.

What's also nice is that house prices are very, very low here, and we can afford to live in substantial homes and still retire early.

I moved a few years after retirement. I had a paid for house and bought a new house that was 24% or so of my net worth. I can afford it, and the mortgage interest is deductible. I’m very content with my decision.

Property tax is horrendous here...

Houses

I know the feeling. I sold my house after my taxes went to 19k in 2008 just before the crash. I probably lost 75k but was happy to get out. Went to a condo taxes 5500, but common charges keep going up with the board nonsense. I’m wanting to get out but I can’t get anything in area without 50 people bidding up most of the junk on the market. I have a few more years to lock in my health insurance at group rate, so I guess I’m stuck on Long Island for now.

Back
Top Bottom