Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never told my children they could move back if they had to, but I think they knew they would not be turned away.

The subject never came up, because it would mean they ran into financial difficulties, and there has not been any risk of that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

After my divorce I downsized to 2 bedroom 869 sq ft condo. 2 of my 3 adult kids needed to come home and we all lived in that small space for 2 years. That’s what parents do. Mine would have done the same.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:12 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a worthless “article”.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, if her parents are like me who has 4 empty bedrooms upstairs, if one of my two kids runs into hardship even due to his/her own stupidity, I am not going to turn them away and not give them shelter.
Sounds like the way to live. If a parent won't allow this, I think he or she can expect to have some lonely times as aging gets serious.

Ha
Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't even read the article and I know exactly what it said. Quality posting!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Why? It serves to warn young people that it takes a lot more than they think to be FI, although the $5M stated by Suze Orman is clearly excessive.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #47
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
At this stage in their lives, her mom & dad should be parents in name only and no longer responsible for parenting their adult daughter.
I like that. I wonder what the reaction will be when I refer to mine as 'Parents Emeritus' when they come up for Christmas this year.
Filetmerlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Median home prices in our area are around a million dollars. Many young adult kids still live with their parents here. It is either that, have a lot of roommates or relocate to some place cheaper. Some families in our neighborhood also have their parents move in with them. Besides economic reasons, in some cases it is a cultural norm.

There are benefits to living in a multi-generational household- maybe even living longer.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why? It serves to warn young people that it takes a lot more than they think to be FI, although the $5M stated by Suze Orman is clearly excessive.
News Alert, most young people don't read financial articles.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
That's more like FIRE ignorance. Really less than $200k nest egg and she thought that was sufficient at 28? SMH
lol, I stopped reading after that.

I love the line where she says "she doesn't really want to retire". uhmm at 28 you really haven't worked.

I find no value in these article truthfully. Couple has 600k at 28 and want to have children??

And sorry, I'd have smothered my late husband in his sleep if he dared suggested converting an empty school bus into a tiny house. aw hell naw.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:51 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
I agree from our perspectives. Then NW said it’s a warning. Hmm how many 20 somethings learn life lessons from an article.

One couple wanted to have kids and one were fostering more kids.

News Flash: Kids cost money. To me money well spent.
World Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, the article has four stories about four bloggers with links to the blogs. Pretty sure we know the secret to FIRE!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Traveler View Post
I agree from our perspectives. Then NW said it’s a warning. Hmm how many 20 somethings learn life lessons from an article.

One couple wanted to have kids and one were fostering more kids.

News Flash: Kids cost money. To me money well spent.
Interesting article in yesterday's WSJ about how many older single adults with no family are not in such good shape. Some have kids but are not on good terms with them!

Behind a paywall....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lon...ne-11544541134

Quote:
Danny Miner, a 66-year-old retired chemical plant supervisor, spends most days alone in his Tooele, Utah, apartment, with “Gunsmoke” reruns to keep him company and a phone that rarely rings.

Old age wasn’t supposed to feel this lonely. Mr. Miner married five times, each bride bringing the promise of lifelong companionship. Three unions ended in divorce. Two wives died. Now his legs ache and his balance is faulty, and he’s stopped going to church or meeting friends at the Marine Corps League, a group for former Marines. “I get a little depressed from time to time,” he says.
Quote:
“I don’t like being by myself,” Ms. Lettice says. “I wish I were dating. I wish I had somebody significant.” She recently gave up two tickets to a beer-tasting fundraiser when she couldn’t find a date.
I can't imagine being retired and not having my children in my life. I make it a point to tone down my opinions and let them lead their lives as they see fit with a few fatherly suggestions now and then. Hey, there are no laws against planting a few seeds in the hopes some will sprout.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I don’t tell my kids how to live their lives and my parents did the same. I want them to enjoy their time with us.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote