"More Frugal Than Thouism"

Part of the payoff for being LBYM for many years is so that, when you can afford it, you feel okay about blowing a wad on whatever the hell you want to blow it on now that you can actually afford to do so.

1 month cruise? Do it!
Dine out in fancy joint regularly? Do it!
Redecorate your home? Do it!
That's the spirit! :LOL:
I'm 100% with you on that. You can't take it with you.

As long as you don't go into debt.

Part of the payoff for being LBYM for many years is so that, when you can afford it, you feel okay about blowing a wad on whatever the hell you want to blow it on now that you can actually afford to do so.

1 month cruise? Do it!
Dine out in fancy joint regularly? Do it!
Redecorate your home? Do it!

A wireless color laserjet printer? Buy it! (I did, last year, and I am still getting a huge kick out of it).

Love that sentiment. Well, just as long as I don't do it TOO often. :D

What a deal! And if that is what you REALLY wanted... why not? :D

Maybe because...(from an Amazon.com review):

What kills the product is that the ink cartridges contain a chip that tells the printer when you should buy more ink (this is 175 pages). While my cartridge has plenty of ink, the chip tells my computer I need to buy a new cartridge. I cannot print again until I buy a new cartridge or hack a way to reset the chip (checking now for software online).

Since a new set of cartridges costs more than the price of the printer, and refilling the cartridges manually is not an option, I may very well end up buying a new printer now that the ink has run out in my Epson NX100. What a scam. What a crap product. 175 pages is all you get?

$2200 on dining out? You are a squanderer of resources. I spent only $1300. :)

Who cares? It's not as if these posters can reach across the Internet and slap you on your face. :0

Why not just use your company's high speed color laser printer while you are at work? Oh yeah, some of you guys aren't lucky enough to have a job. :)

Why not just use your company's high speed color laser printer while you are at work? Oh yeah, some of you guys aren't lucky enough to have a job. :)

Well that's what got me so spoiled! I wanted to have that access to a color laserjet when I was at home, too. And you're right - - just 83 more days and I will be unemployed. :D

I bought a Lexmark wireless inkjet color printer last month .It faxes ,copies and scans all for under $100 and I absolutely love it . It is much better than my last HP Multipurpose which I paid a lot more for . Of course with the savings I went to JJill and bought pants and two tops . I was frugal because I passed on a dress that I would have bought if they had my size in the deep blue .

Here's what I've found annoying--a few patronizing suggestions that DH and I must now be broke since we're retired. No point in responding to them but maybe they'll happen to learn that we decided to just pay cash for our new car....

Interesting thread. Normally we are piling on folks who we think spend too much and aren't smart, cool LBYMer's like us! Now we're piling on people who pile on us for spending too much?
It just like how we think of the speed at which others drive. Anyone who spends less then me is a tightwad. And those that spend more than me are throwing away their money foolishly.

I've noticed it a little. I am really frugal in some areas - I color my own hair & go to Supercuts for a basic $16 haircut, instead of blowing $80 or so for a cut & color at a salon, I don't spend much on clothes (buy 'em at Target usually), no manicures, no McMansion.

I think since I'm frugal in the areas that most people spend on (fancy clothes, manicures, spa days, car, big house, etc) people assume I don't make as much as I do...so when I do talk about taking a trip or something, they think I'm spending extravagantly for my means, when really they've underestimated my means because of the areas I choose to be frugal in are the areas that people usually use to judge someone's means, if that makes any sense...

At any rate, I usually just ignore any disapproving looks. I'm confident in my savings and spending plans, so I don't need anyone's approval anyway.

At any rate, I usually just ignore any disapproving looks. I'm confident in my savings and spending plans, so I don't need anyone's approval anyway.

That's the spirit--that's what puts the "I" in "FI." :flowers: The freedom to go "PFFTTTT" at those who would impose their values and insecurities on you. :cool:

have any of you encountered in increase in the in-your-face tongue-lashings of the LBYMers or the "nouveau cheap" for spending money you can clearly afford to spend if it enhances your life?

As long as my spending patterns aren't being subsidized by others (like creditors via bankruptcy, or taxpayers via social assistance) I think the proper response to anyone's "in-your-face tongue-lashing" is [moderator edit].

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't care what people spend, as long as they don't also whine about lack of money.

Oh goodness, this exactly describes a roommate I had in college. She was easily the dumbest person I've ever lived with (and that 's not her fault, we're not all born with equal gifts), but every day she'd smoke a joint, get high, then eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream by herself. Then she'd start complaining about how broke she was, and how fat.

I held my tongue every day, but really just wanted to reach out and shake her and say "Listen, dimwit, if you didn't smoke a joint a day and then eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, you'd have more money and you wouldn't be fat!"

Ziggy, I agree that criticizing the expenditures of others is poor form. But to protect yourself from this sort of situation, maybe just stop sharing? If someone really wants to know, and their relationship with you is good and their intentions clear, maybe only then?

I bought a Lexmark wireless inkjet color printer last month .It faxes ,copies and scans all for under $100 and I absolutely love it . It is much better than my last HP Multipurpose which I paid a lot more for . Of course with the savings I went to JJill and bought pants and two tops . I was frugal because I passed on a dress that I would have bought if they had my size in the deep blue .

Hello!! Glad there's another woman on the same wave length! :greetings10:
I'm frugal because I bought the JJill top ON SALE and I got a new inkjet printer from my dad, who is deceased!! ok. poor taste. :nonono:

But seriously these intrusive busy bodies who ask questions about my finances can take a hike, hopefully off a cliff with rocky bottom and a hungry mountain lion waiting.

But seriously these intrusive busy bodies who ask questions about my finances can take a hike, hopefully off a cliff with rocky bottom and a hungry mountain lion waiting.

Are these friends of yours? And if so, why? The reason why I am asking is that it sounds like they have been really awful to you.

What happens if you just smile and say something like, "I'd rather not talk about my finances or my choices in spending my money, and isn't this beautiful weather we are having today? And what do you think of that health care reform bill, anyway?" (or something like that, to steer the conversation).

Are these friends of yours? And if so, why? The reason why I am asking is that it sounds like they have been really awful to you.

What happens if you just smile and say something like, "I'd rather not talk about my finances or my choices in spending my money, and isn't this beautiful weather we are having today? And what do you think of that health care reform bill, anyway?" (or something like that, to steer the conversation).

Not friends! LOL! Acquaintances. One asked how I could have refinanced my home when I didn't have a job. Well, I do have a part time job. But when I explained that I qualified for the refinance based upon my investments, I received a sour expression in return. When I have said I'm semi-retired, one person said "What did YOU retire from?" Implying that because I was a full time homemaker/mother with a part time career, that the term "retirement" was not legitimate for me. I could go on.

The main problem that I've encountered is that one of my "social" groups is also a group of professional women in a certain field. Since I work part-time in that field (like many others in the group) I'm viewed as not as professional and especially because I'm not struggling financially, like some of them, I'm subject to some hostility.

Anyway, I said "Adios" to that group a short while back. :D

Oldbabe, how rude those people were to you! I am glad you said "Adios!" to them a short while back, as you said. Their loss, your gain. I think you dealt with them in the best way possible because it sounds like most of them have a big chip on their shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom