Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm not sure about your point. Are you saying they are too thin? Or you think that I would think they are too thin? They look perfectly healthy to me and nothing like the very ill people I listed.
I was curious so I Googled.

Pippa is 5'5" and 117 pounds. This gives her a BMI of 19.5, which is considered within the normal weight range.

Her sister Kate is 5'9" and 119 pounds. This gives her a BMI of 17.6, which is considered to be underweight.

Both of them look like skeletons to me! But then, I am used to seeing considerably more "padding" than they have, when I look in the mirror. Apparently Pippa is at a perfectly healthy weight, and while underweight, I suppose that Kate isn't emaciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (20.3 KB, 126 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'm not sure about your point. Are you saying they are too thin? Or you think that I would think they are too thin? They look perfectly healthy to me and nothing like the very ill people I listed.

Did you think I was saying that all thin people are unhealthy?

Or do you think these rich high society ladies look like drug addicts or anorexic women starving themselves to death? They certainly don't look like that to me.
I was respond to your comment that you don't think any high society ladies want to be too thin. I don't know what's your definition of too thin, but I think the Middleton sisters are too thin in my book.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Pippa is 5'5" and 117 pounds. This gives her a BMI of 19.5, which is considered within the normal weight range.

Her sister Kate is 5'9" and 119 pounds. This gives her a BMI of 17.6, which is considered to be underweight.

Both of them look like skeletons to me! But then, I am used to seeing considerably more "padding" than they have, when I look in the mirror. Apparently Pippa is at a perfectly healthy weight, and while underweight, I suppose that Kate isn't emaciated.
My kid has higher BMI than those two, yet I think she is too thin. But she is healthy. I worry about her bones when she gets older.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #64

Not about how thin one should be, and not about premium seat airline pricing, but I'll just say that I'm interested in finding ways to spend a bit more. Well, that's not correct. I'm interested in finding ways to have a more awesome existence, and if that costs a little more and I've been spending, so be it. The problem is I'm torn between spending more and giving a larger percentage as taxes.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
My relatives are mostly dead...
I had to chuckle when I read that. Me too. In fact I lost another one last weekend.

There is nothing like losing a cousin to make you rethink your spending.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:05 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I was respond to your comment that you don't think any high society ladies want to be too thin. I don't know what's your definition of too thin, but I think the Middleton sisters are too thin in my book.
Oh, OK, I was talking about people who were ill.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #67
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would have to pay more to go to Europe from my corner of the wood in Western USA, but $2400 is already a lot more than what I normally pay. At some point, I guess the comfort of a better seat would be enough to overcome my natural stinginess.

But looking ahead, if my physical condition gets worse so that I really need the comfort of a business or 1st class seat (I am not a big nor tall guy), then I also would not be able to handle my own luggage, nor keep up with the crazy Italian car drivers, nor able to walk several miles a day for sightseeing on my own.

Never having taken a tour in my life, I think that when I get to the point when I cannot travel on my own, may as well stay home and watch travel videos.

What I am trying to say is that I have always been desirous of better airline seats, but that is more of a luxurious thing than a necessity. When it becomes a necessity for me, my travel days will be over.
Your travel days will not be over they will just change .Tours are not the answer because that up at 7 with bags out gets old quickly . The answer for me has been to slow down the travel . Pay more for someone to deal with my luggage and realize the days of walking miles and endless touring may need to be modified to add in rest time .I just returned from three weeks in Spain &Portugal and rather than confirming that my travel days are over it made me realize I still have some more traveling to do before I stop or my health makes me stop.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #68

Quote:
No point "googling" Pippa anymore, she just got married...

Old 06-09-2017, 12:12 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Your travel days will not be over they will just change .Tours are not the answer because that up at 7 with bags out gets old quickly . The answer for me has been to slow down the travel . Pay more for someone to deal with my luggage and realize the days of walking miles and endless touring may need to be modified to add in rest time .I just returned from three weeks in Spain &Portugal and rather than confirming that my travel days are over it made me realize I still have some more traveling to do before I stop or my health makes me stop.
Thought about this some more, and I think I will settle for world cruises when older. Definitely no bus land tours, where they would drag me from town to town every day, and give me 30 minutes at each landmark.

Back on how much money is too much, I will never have the luxury of having that problem. But not to be greedy, I would be quite happy to maintain the same living standards now and still have my stash intact, meaning not having to spend it down. I am too accustomed to that number at the bottom of my Quicken screen.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Back on how much money is too much, I will never have the luxury of having that problem. But not to be greedy, I would be quite happy to maintain the same living standards now and still have my stash intact, meaning not having to spend it down. I am too accustomed to that number at the bottom of my Quicken screen.
That works for us so we do the matching strategy for investing. Our "plan termination" net worth should be about the same then in inflation adjusted dollars as it is today.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #71
gone traveling

from a lot of money to a lot of fat...boy this thread took a turn!
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
More Money Than You'll Ever Need
Old 06-09-2017, 05:50 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

More Money Than You'll Ever Need

Don't forget flight prices. I have flown business class several times for work (anything >4.5h) and it is nice. If I'm going to go to Europe for 4 weeks, an additional $3k may not be a huge % increase (depends on your budget). We went to Japan on business for 150k points each - got 115k points for signing up with a credit card that cost $450/yr with additional benefits. The cost is great if it breaks your budget but if you have excess room, maybe that's the best place to use it. But if you have the time, why not take a transatlantic cruise?

For weight, the more you eat the worse it is for you, period. Digestion is damaging to your DNA. I haven't seen anything to say bone density and body weight are correlated - not sure about the comments related to skinny people getting osteoporosis. BMI by itself is not enough - someone very muscular will be too heavy and someone who is skinny fat may register just fine but be unhealthy. Body fat % is important to judge BMI.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote