Join Early Retirement Today

Re: More on teacher pay
Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
I find the contempt for teachers and resentment of their benefits puzzling.
Me too.

There is wide performance variation among teachers. There is wide pay/benefit variation among teachers. It's easy for outspoken teacher unions to give anecdotal examples of high performing - low paid teachers. It's easy for critics to give anecdotal examples of low performing - high paid teachers. And the war begins!

The school district which hired your son seems to be happy with him. He seems to be happy with his work and overall compensation package. Sounds like a win-win situation to me.

BTW Astro....... you mentioned your son took no education classes at all and is teaching in a middle school. Is he working on some type of provisional or temporary certificate? Does he have some kind of deadline to achieve certification? Is the school district paying for him to attend classes to achieve certification? Just wondering how that works.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

I think the biggest help would be to realize the educational system in this country is flawed, and no amount of money can fix it.

With that foundation, how can we blame the teachers for the result? BTW, there are plenty of low-performing folks in ALL areas of the economy.........

FWIW, I wouldn't want my kid growing up in one of those "smart countries" like China, where the govt decides at age 6 if your kid's smart enough to go to college, or he doesn't get to go past a certain level.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
. . . since we live in "tax hell"................
I thought that was Taxachusetts Massachusetts?

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I thought that was Taxachusetts Massachusetts?
No we got you guys all beat!! 2nd highest gas tax in the US< 4th highest property tax, and we're the state with the highest per capita number of state employees in the US........... :P :P :P

However, you guys have Ted Kennedy, so I guess we're even..........

Old 12-07-2006, 10:48 AM   #125

Quote:
No we got you guys all beat!! 2nd highest gas tax in the US< 4th highest property tax, and we're the state with the highest per capita number of state employees in the US........... :P :P :P

However, you guys have Ted Kennedy, so I guess we're even..........
I was told overall it was Mass. Oh, well, you can have that claim to fame!
I'd don't live there (thank goodness), but I have some relatives who do. They're not real happy about the Big Dig.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I was told overall it was Mass. Oh, well, you can have that claim to fame!
I'd don't live there (thank goodness), but I have some relatives who do. They're not real happy about the Big Dig.
The Big Dig is more like the Huge Mess...........makes the fraud in Iraq look legit......... :P :P :P

Old 12-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
BTW Astro....... you mentioned your son took no education classes at all and is teaching in a middle school. Is he working on some type of provisional or temporary certificate? Does he have some kind of deadline to achieve certification? Is the school district paying for him to attend classes to achieve certification? Just wondering how that works.
He took his first ed class last summer at his own expense (school district doesn't pay a dime for this state requirement...or maybe it's a No Chid Left Behind requirement, I forget). He has already learned how to teach science (he taught camp crafts/nature studies every college summer and got some training from the Boy Scouts). He's basically holding his nose and wasting his time to get this degree--he wouldn't bother for a pay increase, only because it's required to keep his job. I think it would be tax-deductible since it's a job requirement, but he doesn't itemize...can't afford a house yet. I think he waited till the very last minute to start on the degree (summer after his fifth year).
Old 12-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #128

I don't know about anyone else, but I find little that is more pathetic than Americans whining about their taxes. Considering the unenviable situation in terms of infant mortality, poverty, medical care, the huge deficits, the relative tax rates compared to other industrial nations, and the historically huge disparity between the haves and have nots (and let's face it,most of us on this board are the haves), it is obvious to me that one of the biggest problem in the US is that people aren't taxed enough.

I don't like taxes either, any more than I like making mortgage payments. But at least I make them.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:37 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He took his first ed class last summer at his own expense (school district doesn't pay a dime for this state requirement...or maybe it's a No Chid Left Behind requirement, I forget). He has already learned how to teach science (he taught camp crafts/nature studies every college summer and got some training from the Boy Scouts). He's basically holding his nose and wasting his time to get this degree--he wouldn't bother for a pay increase, only because it's required to keep his job. I think it would be tax-deductible since it's a job requirement, but he doesn't itemize...can't afford a house yet. I think he waited till the very last minute to start on the degree (summer after his fifth year).
Not trying to pry (OK, maybe a little ) but does your son hold a teaching certificate for the state where he is employed as a teacher? He could be taking the summer classes to qualify for certification (and is currently teaching on a provisional certificate) or he could already be certified and taking classes under the continuing education requirements of the No Child Left Behind program.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #130

I don't know--he never talks about this stuff (and if he did, I'd forget--this ain't the kind of info that sticks in my mind, to be honest). I only discovered by accident that he got tenure practically a year after the fact! Neither of us is rule- or hierarchy-oriented. Someone who graduated from my HS about the same time I did told me he's regarded as one of the best teachers at the school. He did tell me he is often told he should go into administration, but so far he has no interest in anything that takes him out of the classroom. He's a natural, apparently.

EDIT I checked with my son. He assured me he never took an ed class until he took the masters-level class last summer, and only took that because the state requires him to get a masters to continue teaching beyond some arbitrary number of years. He's dragging his feet, hoping the requirement will go away. He finds the extra pay isn't worth participating in boring classes--and they interfere with his life outside of work. He's certified and tenured nevertheless. Perhaps his being male (practically a rarity in middle schools) along with his outstanding undergrad grades and science major plus excellent teaching skills are considered meeting requirements as far as his own school is concerned.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know--he never talks about this stuff (and if he did, I'd forget--this ain't the kind of info that sticks in my mind, to be honest). I only discovered by accident that he got tenure practically a year after the fact! Neither of us is rule- or hierarchy-oriented. Someone who graduated from my HS about the same time I did told me he's regarded as one of the best teachers at the school. He did tell me he is often told he should go into administration, but so far he has no interest in anything that takes him out of the classroom. He's a natural, apparently.
OK. Well, he must have taken the required ed classes to be certified Astro. Perhaps you just weren't aware that he took them. He couldn't be granted tenure in the public system without certification and he couldn't get certification without the required classes.

The important thing is that he's enjoying his career and doing well. That's great.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
I don't know about anyone else, but I find little that is more pathetic than Americans whining about their taxes. Considering the unenviable situation in terms of infant mortality, poverty, medical care, the huge deficits, the relative tax rates compared to other industrial nations, and the historically huge disparity between the haves and have nots (and let's face it,most of us on this board are the haves), it is obvious to me that one of the biggest problem in the US is that people aren't taxed enough.

I don't like taxes either, any more than I like making mortgage payments. But at least I make them.
So what about the 50 million Americans that pay NO TAXES? Doe you bleive that's fair?

I read somewhere that a flat tax of 15% would increase govt coffers by $100 billion a year..........

Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #133

Quote:
So what about the 50 million Americans that pay NO TAXES? Doe you bleive that's fair?

I read somewhere that a flat tax of 15% would increase govt coffers by $100 billion a year..........
yes, actually, I do believe that's fair. They are probably the same 50 million with no health insurance. I know--let's tax kids piggy banks too. They should learn the system at an early age!

I think a flat tax is regressive and unfair. Unless you first exempt a reasonable allowance for basic food and housing. Oh, but that would leave 50 million untaxed. Flat tax and (un)fair tax are examples of what I mean. People on the high end of the scale looking to hang onto more, even if it is at the expense of those on the low end. Brief one-word definition: Republicans. Otherwise known as "the party of cheap labor."

Old 12-08-2006, 09:12 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
yes, actually, I do believe that's fair. They are probably the same 50 million with no health insurance. I know--let's tax kids piggy banks too. They should learn the system at an early age!

I think a flat tax is regressive and unfair. Unless you first exempt a reasonable allowance for basic food and housing. Oh, but that would leave 50 million untaxed. Flat tax and (un)fair tax are examples of what I mean. People on the high end of the scale looking to hang onto more, even if it is at the expense of those on the low end. Brief one-word definition: Republicans. Otherwise known as "the party of cheap labor."
Really? So the report that states 94.7 percent of all taxes are paid by people that make over $150K a year is false??

I remember when Ross Perot revealed he paid $2 million in taxes on an income of $500 million dollars one year...........but he's not a Republican........

Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Rich Republicans are vocally against taxes and use every trick in the book their high paid accountants and tax preparers can muster to avoid paying them!

Rich Democrats are not vocally against taxes and use every trick in the book their high paid accountants and tax preparers can muster to avoid paying them!

Both rich Republicans and rich Democrats like to see us plebians take sides and feud.........keeping our eyes and focus off of them!

Party loyalist = patsy!

It's about economic classes, not party labels.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #136

Quote:
Really? So the report that states 94.7 percent of all taxes are paid by people that make over $150K a year is false??

I remember when Ross Perot revealed he paid $2 million in taxes on an income of $500 million dollars one year...........but he's not a Republican........
what percentage of all income is made by those making over $150k per year? Without that statistic, the one you cite is meaningless.

rich people of all parties will evade taxes. It's the Repbulicans who lead the charge to keep taxes low for the wealthy (as well as opposing minimum wage increases). What Ross Perot does or does not do is utterly meaningless to this discussion, IMO.

btw, your two facts seem to work against each other--if rich people are so overtaxed, then how come Ross got off so cheap?
Old 12-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
btw, your two facts seem to work against each other--if rich people are so overtaxed, then how come Ross got off so cheap?
May be Ross has better tax people.........

Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 PM   #138

Quote:
May be Ross has better tax people.........
We studied him in my Estate and Gift tax class in law school. He invests in mainly municipal bonds.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:31 AM   #139

bosco.. exactly right
Quote:
what percentage of all income is made by those making over $150k per year? Without that statistic, the one you cite is meaningless.
There's a lot of Heritage Foundation b.s. out there about how "unfair" taxes are on the rich because they pay "the most" taxes. Given the constant increase in ultra-high earners and income disparity, the numbers game becomes ever easier and easier for them to rig.

Look at it this way, even under a "flat tax" scenario:
Let's assume the average salary of the bottom quintile is $10,000, the second quintile, $25,000, the third, $50,000, the fourth, $75,000, and the fifth, $100,000. At a flat 17% tax rate in our simplistic example, those in the upper quintile are paying on average $17,000 each in taxes.

Now change the scenario as follows: 1°, $10,000; 2°, $25,000; 3°, $50,000; 4°, $75,000; 5°, $1,000,000. Suddenly, with no change in the tax code, this upper quintile is paying on average $170,000 in tax in our simplified example! Horrors!

They're paying 10x more than before!!! (No kidding, 'cause they are MAKING 10x more.. duh!)

--
Funny how when the rich get taxed, it's "income redistribution", but when a CEO makes 500x his workers' salary rather than 50x or 100x... it's not! That always cracks me up.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:19 AM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes. Rich people pay most of the INCOME tax, but the many other non-trivial taxes (e.g., SS, Medicare, sales and property taxes) more or less make the net current system a flat tax rate.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote