Join Early Retirement Today

More Roth conversion questions...
Old 02-28-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

More Roth conversion questions...

DH has about 1.5 mil (or had that amount last week) in his traditional 401k. I have about half that in a traditional 401K and IRA. We have much smaller amounts in Roths.

DH is 66 and I am 62. Also getting pensions and SS.

So I'm thinking of finally starting some Roth conversions. Our accounts are with Fidelity and Schwab.

Questions-

Should his Fidelity be transferred to a Fidelity Roth IRA or a Roth 401K? 401Ks are more "bulletproof" re lawsuits, etc but I'm in FL and have been told by our atty that IRAs are just as bulletproof. Any opinions on that?

But Roth 401Ks are subject to RMDs? I was not aware of that. Our mutual fund choices in the company 401K are good with cheap expenses. I "presume" that the Roth 401K choices would be the same...

If I additionally converted some of mine into my existing Roth IRA, do I still need to wait five years to withdraw? Although I do not intend to, wanted to know just in case.

These conversions will also bump us up on IRMAA brackets and 24% tax bracket so I want to make the larger moves so that only one of us gets hit with IRMAA (prior to me turning 65).

I have been back and forth whether it was worthwhile to do but with the SECURE act and the market drop, I think now is the time to do it.

Thanks.
Luvdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvdogs View Post
DH has about 1.5 mil (or had that amount last week) in his traditional 401k. I have about half that in a traditional 401K and IRA. We have much smaller amounts in Roths.

DH is 66 and I am 62. Also getting pensions and SS.

So I'm thinking of finally starting some Roth conversions. Our accounts are with Fidelity and Schwab.

Questions-

[1] Should his Fidelity be transferred to a Fidelity Roth IRA or a Roth 401K? 401Ks are more "bulletproof" re lawsuits, etc but I'm in FL and have been told by our atty that IRAs are just as bulletproof. Any opinions on that?

But Roth 401Ks are subject to RMDs? I was not aware of that. Our mutual fund choices in the company 401K are good with cheap expenses. I "presume" that the Roth 401K choices would be the same...

[2] If I additionally converted some of mine into my existing Roth IRA, do I still need to wait five years to withdraw? Although I do not intend to, wanted to know just in case.

[3] These conversions will also bump us up on IRMAA brackets and 24% tax bracket so I want to make the larger moves so that only one of us gets hit with IRMAA (prior to me turning 65).

I have been back and forth whether it was worthwhile to do but with the SECURE act and the market drop, I think now is the time to do it.

Thanks.
[Numbers added]

1. I have no opinion. I don't worry about lawsuits personally; I lead a low-risk lifestyle. Note that if you convert from his traditional 401(k) to a Roth 401(k) this will probably create ordinary income and you will owe income taxes on the converted amount.

I don't know about Roth 401(k)s being subject to RMDs. If so, I'd probably try to move that money to a Roth IRA if that were possible before RMDs were due.

2. No. You're over 59.5, so you can withdraw from any of your traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or 401(k) without penalties. Of course, withdrawals from traditional IRAs and traditional 401(k)s would create ordinary taxable income.

3. Note that IRMAA has a two year lag, so your conversions in 2020 will affect your IRMAAs for 2022. Also, the IRMAA amounts and brackets will now be adjusted for inflation.

Your reasoning regarding the SECURE Act, the market drop, and your age all seem to make sense to me.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
[Numbers added]

2. No. You're over 59.5, so you can withdraw from any of your traditional IRA, Roth IRA, or 401(k) without penalties. Of course, withdrawals from traditional IRAs and traditional 401(k)s would create ordinary taxable income.

probably won't change the answer for you but the table below show the
>59.5 y.o. rules. If your oldest Roth was opened >5 yrs ago, you are ok.
If not there are taxes due on earnings.

Re: Roth IRA Rules - Table Approach
Posted by: KAWill (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2010 11:57PM

Roth IRA Distribution Table

OVER AGE 59.5
LESS THAN FIVE YEARS SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA

Contributions: Tax-No ;Penalty-No
Conversions: Tax-No; Penalty-No (Taxable Portion)
Conversions: Tax-No; Penalty-No (Nontaxable Portion)
Earnings: Tax-Yes; Penalty-No

OVER AGE 59.5
FIVE YEARS OR MORE SINCE OPENING FIRST ROTH IRA

All Distributions Are Qualified
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

^ right. I always assume the >5 years thing just because that's my situation, but I think that table you publish is correct.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:21 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I found that 401Ks are subject to the IRS rules, limits, etc but also can have rules in addition for each specific sponsor. I had to convert my 401K to an IRA to have flexibility. I could do a complete withdraw or transfer to IRA or take withdrawals equal for my life expectancy.

Fidelity has zero cost funds now so cost shouldn’t limit your options.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
OP - You can move Roth 401K into a RothIRA (which I just call Roth) that way it won't be subject to RMD rules. This would be good to do.

You can rollover a regular 401K into a rollover IRA (if you have made non-deductible contributions to it, then you want those to split off into a Roth, but I don't know the details).

You should not simply convert your regular 401K into a Roth as the taxes would be sky high. I don't get any idea from your post that you are talking about how many thousands of $$ to covert to a Roth each year, which is why I caution to not do it in one shot.

People do conversions over many many years to keep within certain tax brackets.